• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I do want to add though (at least in my personal experience) cardio helps get rid of bloats. Not saying it's a weight/fat thing but if I'm bloated, gassy, etc it goes away shortly after an intense cardio session. Weight lifting however doesn't fix my bloats lol.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    I do want to add though (at least in my personal experience) cardio helps get rid of bloats. Not saying it's a weight/fat thing but if I'm bloated, gassy, etc it goes away shortly after an intense cardio session. Weight lifting however doesn't fix my bloats lol.
    Lol, trust me if the session was intense enough, you'll get rid of the bloat one way or another! ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump for Friday!
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's a great Scientific American on this - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-exercise-paradox/

I subscribe to the magazine, and would highly recommend reading that article if you're interested in the science behind why exercise doesn't cause humans to lose weight - there's an evolutionary answer and it's really interesting!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    True BUT, if you don't want to feel like you're starving while "dieting," getting a 200-300 cal burn doing cardio and eating at or slightly below your estimated TDEE is the most effective way to lose weight.

At least it was for me.

That's how I lost most for the 36# that I dropped over 5 months w/in the 1st 3months - - by doing 30-60 mins of moderate intensity rowing each day while eating 1800-2000 cals a day at/near my TDEE for a net of around 1500-1700 cal/day.

Only difference now while in maintenance at 160# for the past 3 months is that I don't do any more cardio (like that) but still eat about the same amount at an ave if 1850 cal a day.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    True BUT, if you don't want to feel like you're starving while "dieting," getting a 200-300 cal burn doing cardio and eating at or slightly below your estimated TDEE is the most effective way to lose weight.

At least it was for me.

That's how I lost most for the 36# that I dropped over 5 months w/in the 1st 3months - - by doing 30-60 mins of moderate intensity rowing each day while eating 1800-2000 cals a day at/near my TDEE for a net of around 1500-1700 cal/day.

Only difference now while in maintenance at 160# for the past 3 months is that I don't do any more cardio (like that) but still eat about the same amount at an ave if 1850 cal a day.
    Oh, believe me I've seen quite a few people do loads of cardio just so they can eat more. There's a female in our gym now who does an hour of elliptical, followed by an hour of step climbing. I thought she was an endurance athlete (no upper body muscle, decent legs) and when I talked to her, she said she only does that much work so she can eat an extra 1000 calories. The issue is, what happens when she can't offset it by stopping exercise? She looked to be in her early 20's and I don't believe she was married, but most of us know that when a family comes along, a lot of life changes and usually physical activity is the first thing that people give up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Cardio is for fun.

:smile:
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read through a lot of this and I am questioning myself. At the risk of sounding like a moron and inciting further frustration (I'm so sorry!), what I do is cardio/HITT/Strength training and I use it to create a larger deficit so I can eat more. I am 32 years old, female, 164 lbs, 5'6 1/2" and I have MFP set to .5 pound loss per week, with a sedentary lifestyle as I work a desk job. This gives me about 1610 calories per day that I can eat. However, I also workout 5-6 hours per week and my TDEE according to Scooby is around 2358 (which seems high). I have my Fitbit linked to MFP and whenever I workout/get steps, MFP gives me additional calories that I can eat. I know that the calorie burn is not very accurate however I do eat some of the calories back because honestly, 1604 calories per day is not enough to satisfy me....I am usually still super hungry despite eating enough protein and fiber and mostly home cooked food (not processed or pre-packaged). I do weigh all of my food on a food scale, with the only exception being when I go out to eat (which is not very often). According to my stats, I am allowed 1610 calories per day and my current average that I am actually eating is 1804, however with my exercise added in, I am currently netting an average of 1391 per day (again it could be higher because my fitbit/MFP may overestimate my calorie burn during exercise-however, I doubt it is overestimating enough to kill my entire deficit). I am doing this right because I am still in a deficit, correct? I am not eating 2358 per day (or even 2095 which is what my fitbit says is my actual daily average calorie burn)

I have only been back on MFP (after a few years) since the beginning of the month so I want to be sure I am on the right track. I also understand that if my 5-6 hours a week of exercise reduces, I will have to reduce the amount of food I eat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »
    Ok, I read through a lot of this and I am questioning myself. At the risk of sounding like a moron and inciting further frustration (I'm so sorry!), what I do is cardio/HITT/Strength training and I use it to create a larger deficit so I can eat more. I am 32 years old, female, 164 lbs, 5'6 1/2" and I have MFP set to .5 pound loss per week, with a sedentary lifestyle as I work a desk job. This gives me about 1610 calories per day that I can eat. However, I also workout 5-6 hours per week and my TDEE according to Scooby is around 2358 (which seems high). I have my Fitbit linked to MFP and whenever I workout/get steps, MFP gives me additional calories that I can eat. I know that the calorie burn is not very accurate however I do eat some of the calories back because honestly, 1604 calories per day is not enough to satisfy me....I am usually still super hungry despite eating enough protein and fiber and mostly home cooked food (not processed or pre-packaged). I do weigh all of my food on a food scale, with the only exception being when I go out to eat (which is not very often). According to my stats, I am allowed 1610 calories per day and my current average that I am actually eating is 1804, however with my exercise added in, I am currently netting an average of 1391 per day (again it could be higher because my fitbit/MFP may overestimate my calorie burn during exercise-however, I doubt it is overestimating enough to kill my entire deficit). I am doing this right because I am still in a deficit, correct? I am not eating 2358 per day (or even 2095 which is what my fitbit says is my actual daily average calorie burn)

I have only been back on MFP (after a few years) since the beginning of the month so I want to be sure I am on the right track. I also understand that if my 5-6 hours a week of exercise reduces, I will have to reduce the amount of food I eat.
    If you're losing, then keep doing it. If you're not, then you may need to drop 100-150 calories per day to see if that affects it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• plow54
    plow54 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been very frustrated because I walk 2+ miles per day at a high rate of speed. Thanks for all this insight I never knew. I have been watching my calorie and I am always under but if you don't eat enough it won't let you complete your diary How can you change your calorie intake?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    :p
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »

To add to @ninerbuff - you may need to look at your meal timing with that much working out.

The cardio/HITT or just intense stuff burns a lot, and likely a lot of carbs, potentially leaving you with low blood sugar often, feeling hungry.

May need to eat better around your workouts.

Or, it could be you overproduce insulin when you eat carbs first or too much without protein & fat present or first - same effect, too much insulin causing low blood sugar causing hunger, when really you have eaten enough.

But I'm betting you aren't eating enough and workouts and daily activity level is suffering.

You don't mention which Fitbit model, which matters.

HR-based calorie burn for the HIIT and Strength will be inflated, as it's the wrong application for the formula - which is for steady-state aerobic. Opposite of your HR bouncing all over and being anaerobic.
    Of course if this is for 45 min x 3 weekly with that much other workouts, and otherwise busy life - then the amount of inflated calories is minor in the big picture.

But if it's a significant portion of that 5-6 hrs - and all that exercise makes your daily life pretty tired and non-active.
    Well, that inflated could be a big portion.

Weights should be logged on Fitbit no matter the device.
    Because even by steps, lifting isn't getting enough credit. HIIT depends on what it is for steps, cardio may or may not be good estimate by steps.

I'd suggest don't guess from 5 levels, when you have a device trying to give you infinite levels, and daily depending on how that day is for activity.
    Merely confirm it's as accurate as it can be, it'll still be 5 rough levels and you guessing, especially when those levels don't even include daily life, merely exercise.

The MFP initial eating level is with NO exercise expected or included. You sound like you should pretty much NEVER be eating that low, as Fitbit will always be allowing MFP to correct itself higher since you are more active.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There's a great Scientific American on this - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-exercise-paradox/

I subscribe to the magazine, and would highly recommend reading that article if you're interested in the science behind why exercise doesn't cause humans to lose weight - there's an evolutionary answer and it's really interesting!

If you don't want to subscribe to read the article you can find it here on Issuu.

I'll have to read it when I have time.

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

If you don't want to subscribe to read the article you can find it here on Issuu.

I'll have to read it when I have time.

Thank you so much for posting that link!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    plow54 wrote: »
    I've been very frustrated because I walk 2+ miles per day at a high rate of speed. Thanks for all this insight I never knew. I have been watching my calorie and I am always under but if you don't eat enough it won't let you complete your diary How can you change your calorie intake?

If you believe that you ade eating so little that MFP won't let you complete your diary, but you aren't seeing a loss, then you probably should start weighing your food to find out what you're really eating.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

HR-based calorie burn for the HIIT and Strength will be inflated, as it's the wrong application for the formula - which is for steady-state aerobic. Opposite of your HR bouncing all over and being anaerobic.
    Of course if this is for 45 min x 3 weekly with that much other workouts, and otherwise busy life - then the amount of inflated calories is minor in the big picture.

But if it's a significant portion of that 5-6 hrs - and all that exercise makes your daily life pretty tired and non-active.
    Well, that inflated could be a big portion.

Definitely this!
    Most electronic heart rate monitors are dubious at best (fitbit lawsuit anyone?). I've always found it to be pretty distracting trying to worry about heart rate while exercising, so I've basically never done it.

With that being said I do think that the refractory heart rate (or recovery heart rate) research is pretty good and interesting. Even though it's not exactly the same thing.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So should I switch to maintain weight thats the only spot trying to lose now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So should I switch to maintain weight thats the only spot trying to lose now.

If you are trying to say you have a spot on body trying to lose fat - then yes you could switch to maintain weight option in MFP - and then do strength training - hard for you lifting.