How many calories do you aim to burn at the gym per workout?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't have a calorie goal. It woud take me like 3 hours at least in the gym to get to 500. I don't have that kind of extra time so I just do my workout and get my calorie deficit in the kitchen.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't account for any I burn calories while working out. I lift weights to maintain muscle/build strength and do cardio for health (and feelgood) reasons.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No calorie goal, but I have x amount of time to spend working out daily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't workout to get some specific amount of calorie expenditure. I follow my training program...some days I burn more and some days I burn less...some rides are longer and some are shorter and some days I don't ride and just lift, etc. My rides can vary anywhere from 30-60 minutes...I only really do longer than that if I'm actively training. My lifting sessions are typically about 45 minutes of actual work...about 60 minutes when I include warm up and rolling/stretching at the end.

The focus of my exercise is my fitness and developing and improving my physical fitness...I usually do a couple of events during the year so I spend some time training deliberately for those and follow a training plan for those.

My weight management happens in the kitchen.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    No specific amount. If my form starts to suffer I intentionally slow down or stop and make corrections.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No calorie goal.
    Fitness, performance, strength goals.

Duration depends on goals.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal but I can't help but be a little extra stoked when I hit a huge calorie burn ;)
    Sometimes if I am on a machine I'll catch myself staying on for an extra minute or two to hit a round number or something hehe
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for overall health and fitness. That it gives me extra calories is a nice bonus, but that's the last thing I think about when working out.
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I typically spend 55 minutes strength training and 25 minutes running afterward. In general, I estimate that I burn approximately 550 calories doing so, given that I tend to lose weight if I don't consistently eat 2000 (or so) calories

I'm with you. I do a 10 minute warm up usually HIIT on the treadmill, then lift for 55-60 mins. If I feel my heart rate dropping too low I do a quick 2 minute sprint and get back to lifting. I take 30 second breaks up to a minute between sets, and finish off with 20 mins of low intensity cardio to burn some calories but TRY and keep my muscle gains. I've estimated an average of 550-600 calorie burn as well. Trying to get this last 4% bf down then I'll eat at a surplus.... so ready!!!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I exercise to improve my stamina, flexibility & muscle strength and what I do each time I go to the gym varies from day to day. The calories I get back are just a bonus.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I shoot for minimum 500 calories. I think I'm getting more since I do a Body Pump class followed immediately by a high intensity Zumba class.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mine usually fall in the 400-500 range, but it's not the calorie burn I'mean going for. It's the stress relief, improved fitness, better emotional health, the post exercise high, etc...etc...and the fact that I am in love with the activities I choose.
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    At a 45 minute spin class I aim to beat the calories burned in the previous class. According to my HRM (polar) I usually reach 500, for me that requires an average HR of around 178 which is pretty intense. I don't eat any back as it's likely a little inaccurate.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I go by fitness goals, not calorie burn goals and those can be very different things. I'm also a small female and burning 500 calories each time I workout would take forever and probably burn me out from the enjoyment I get from working out.

Why the calorie goal each day? Are you trying to crest your deficit from exercise only? Becaus that's not going to set you up for long term success.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I don't aim to burn a certain amount of calories at the gym.

To stay within my maintenance goal and have enough energy to live life and progress, albeit slowly, with my fitness goals I add 250 cals a day above sedentary maintenance (7yr maintenance so I know my numbers well)

I do a mix of lifting (AllPro), cardio, and yoga for 6-8 hr a week.

I am petite and older so my calorie burn per hr is quite low.

Cheers, h.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    My goal is to complete everything on the board twice to the best of my ability. (It's a "do it at your own pace" circuit-style class.) Usually takes 45 minutes to an hour and burns somewhere in the ballpark of 400 calories - but I have fitness goals not calorie burn goals.
  • BobbyLively1961
    BobbyLively1961 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    On Saturdays I go 1200+
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Between 2-300 on average so I can build some room into my food choices.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    fitbunny93 wrote: »
    Although I know the machines aren't entirely accurate, I'm curious to know if anyone has a calorie goal at the gym. Mine is 500 per workout. If there is no calorie goal, how long do you spend at the gym for a workout?

I don't understand why burning a certain amount of calories at the gym is so important. What about increasing cardiovascular health, becoming stronger, and simply enjoying the experience of exercising?

As for me, it's my goal to spend 50-60 minutes exercising each day. I enjoy running and lifting, and playing around on some of the cardio machines.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't have a calorie goal. I just do my workout.

Me also - 45-90 minutes lifting - 3 times a week and I have no idea what calories