Fact, Opinion, and Belief

Options
A very common pattern I see around here is people's opinions and beliefs being tossed around as if they were facts. We all have opinions and beliefs. It's perfectly human. Sometimes opinions and beliefs happen to be facts, but not always.

Here is an example fact: 1 lb of muscle weighs the same of 1 lb of fat.

Here is an example opinion: If you skip breakfast you will gain weight.

Here is an example belief: I can run for 10 miles.

When it comes to weight loss and fitness, there is a ton of misinformation floating around. The basic facts are pretty simple and can probably fit on one written page; whereas the misinformation is endless and can fill volumes.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. I suppose it's kind of a rant. I get very frustrated when I see people writing facts and then others responding with "that's just your opinion; every body is different". I get very frustrated when I see someone writing an opinion or belief, then someone replies with facts to refute the opinion, but gets scolded by other members because "we should be nice and supportive". Correcting misinformation is not the same thing as being unkind or unsupportive. On the contrary - taking the time to respond and correct somebody IS helpful. It's part of the learning process.

I won't get into any specifics here because I don't want this to turn into yet another debate thread. But let me just say that some of the most heated debate happens between people arguing over simple math. 2 + 2 = 4, no matter how strongly some might disbelieve.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Huh. Your opinion.

Thanks for posting this. I sincerely hope it does some good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    We need a like button. I agree with you.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Indeed
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Agreed as well.

Facts tend to be backed up by evidence. Opinion and beliefs usually arent.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    true true.. only thing is you have so many people here and alot of times when something works for one person they mistakenly believe its the end all be all. So while facts are facts its the little nuances that get confused so for example since i lost 25 lbs during first round of p90x i could be tempted to say that its the thing that will work for everyone but we know thats not true because people have different schedules fitness levels ailments etc.... i said all that to say dont let it get you worked up too much
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ditto
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I've been saying this for a long time here, but like you said, you get criticized for being mean and unsupportive so I just stopped posting in those kind of threads. Let them learn the hard way.

Thanks for posting.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Intellegent, well thought and logical.... let the ****-storm ensue!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Indeed

defiantly
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My brotha!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    wait, wait, wait...hold on a second...1 lb of muscle is the same as 1 lb of fat? ;D

where did i put my agree on this thread button anyways?
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    and this is why we <3 you Taso! **LIKE**
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    hey opinions are like buttholes.......
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    How truly unsuporative of you!!!!

pause...

HAHAHA - Just kidding... It may be my opinion that I truly and wholeheartidly agree with your facts!

Thank you for saying what others are thinking...
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    A very common pattern I see around here is people's opinions and beliefs being tossed around as if they were facts. We all have opinions and beliefs. It's perfectly human. Sometimes opinions and beliefs happen to be facts, but not always.

Here is an example fact: 1 lb of muscle weighs the same of 1 lb of fat.

Here is an example opinion: If you skip breakfast you will gain weight.

Here is an example belief: I can run for 10 miles.

When it comes to weight loss and fitness, there is a ton of misinformation floating around. The basic facts are pretty simple and can probably fit on one written page; whereas the misinformation is endless and can fill volumes.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. I suppose it's kind of a rant. I get very frustrated when I see people writing facts and then others responding with "that's just your opinion; every body is different". I get very frustrated when I see someone writing an opinion or belief, then someone replies with facts to refute the opinion, but gets scolded by other members because "we should be nice and supportive". Correcting misinformation is not the same thing as being unkind or unsupportive. On the contrary - taking the time to respond and correct somebody IS helpful. It's part of the learning process.

I won't get into any specifics here because I don't want this to turn into yet another debate thread. But let me just say that some of the most heated debate happens between people arguing over simple math. 2 + 2 = 4, no matter how strongly some might disbelieve.

Amen.. reminds me of the thread yesterday where I owned the OP with all of these pub med studies detailing the countless ways they were wrong and was passing weak personal/correlative evidence as fact. Only to be told by the OP I was trolling. LOL

There are SO many people here spouting off bro-science as fact. It's sad, really. I do read some really good posts mixed in, but I can see why so many people are confused with the facts.

Better than I like button, we need a reputation system.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Very well written.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    AYYYYYY! exactamundo - thanks for the reminder.
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    :happy: Presses "Agreed button"
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree with this, there is a problem in that even the "expert" community isn't in agreement over what the facts are on some (many?) topics. Most of us consider peer-reviewed, replicable, well-designed studies to be the standard for establishing true facts, but there are so many things that are passed on as facts by the "expert" community (doctors, trainers, nutritionists, etc.) even though there is now evidence suggesting that long-held facts aren't really facts! People will find studies and think they're acceptable and others will suggest otherwise. I do think that about 90% of people should be more choosy about where and how they obtain their information, but even then it's not at all black and white, and often times you get people arguing and both sides truly believe they are promoting the "facts". :ohwell:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree with this, there is a problem in that even the "expert" community isn't in agreement over what the facts are on some (many?) topics. Most of us consider peer-reviewed, replicable, well-designed studies to be the standard for establishing true facts, but there are so many things that are passed on as facts by the "expert" community (doctors, trainers, nutritionists, etc.) even though there is now evidence suggesting that long-held facts aren't really facts! People will find studies and think they're acceptable and others will suggest otherwise. I do think that about 90% of people should be more choosy about where and how they obtain their information, but even then it's not at all black and white, and often times you get people arguing and both sides truly believe they are promoting the "facts". :ohwell:

This^^ this is so true.