Ravenous!

Options
13»

Replies

• papercut2k
    papercut2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    All sound advice. I'll just add this little bit as a fellow sugar burner--someone who've consumed a lot of processed white sugar products. I've notice you've mention ditching the sugar. I know that when I've tried to quit the white powder cold turkey it was absolutely terrible. Restrictive caloric intake non-withstanding, I felt like I was starving all the time because my body carves sugar and was upset that good times were over when there was no cookies to be had.

I don't have diabetes and I'm very concerned that you're winging this diet thing all by yourself. Perhaps, ask your doctor what will be the best course of action. Gastric bands do restrict calories and the patients have to be extra careful that they're eating all the right stuff. Beans and lentils are carbs just complex ones and will eventually get processed over to sugar. I'm not sure how that would help matters. Maybe a more protein rich source like soy as you said or any meat product if you can eat that.

In the mean time, please eat more. If you're so concerned about targets, try to offset them with some mild activity like walking or gardening or whatever physical activity you like. Even cleaning the house counts.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You are continuing to under eat, as already stated, you are setting yourself up for binging. Eat a reasonable amount of food, take care of your body and give it what it needs to be healthy.

I agree with this. For the past several days, you've been eating roughly half of your daily calorie goal. That's neither healthy nor sustainable. You should be trying to eat as close to your daily calorie goal as possible. Might I ask why you're still under eating?

And with regard to using spoons and cups - that's a very inaccurate way of measuring your food intake. Do yourself a favor and buy a food scale. I promise you it'll be the best weight loss related purchase you'll ever make.

better than my spiralizer?!

I aidmit I'm petrified of going over my targets dunno why. I'm desperate to stop diabetes if it's possible, Ds want me to have a gastric band which i assume will reduce how much I eat even mre

For most people, weight loss will be enough to reduce the risk of diabetes. I consider my protein and fat targets as minimums, and fill in the rest with carbs. When you see your doctor, ask for a referral to a registered dietician. They will be your best resource for helping you develop a healthy sustainable plan that will be tailored to your specific needs. The gastric band can be a useful tool, but I have seen many complications from the procedure, so it's not without risk. You can lose the weight without it. That being said, I have no doubt that my perceptions are skewed with the population I work with. I don't see people for whom it has worked. You could always start the process for banding, but then give this an honest go while you are waiting.

Have your read some of the intro threads? There is a lot of great information available that can help you set up and reach your goals. While fear can be a great motivator to get started, it can also lead us to make some poor decisions. Do some reading. I would highly recommend starting here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Start with the getting started and logging threads.

I spend a lot of time reading when I first got started. It was frustrating, because the diet industry has so many myths floating around out there. Sorting through those myths and learning what works for me was challenging, but so worth it. If you have any questions, ask!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You are continuing to under eat, as already stated, you are setting yourself up for binging. Eat a reasonable amount of food, take care of your body and give it what it needs to be healthy.

I agree with this. For the past several days, you've been eating roughly half of your daily calorie goal. That's neither healthy nor sustainable. You should be trying to eat as close to your daily calorie goal as possible. Might I ask why you're still under eating?

And with regard to using spoons and cups - that's a very inaccurate way of measuring your food intake. Do yourself a favor and buy a food scale. I promise you it'll be the best weight loss related purchase you'll ever make.

better than my spiralizer?!

I aidmit I'm petrified of going over my targets dunno why. I'm desperate to stop diabetes if it's possible, Ds want me to have a gastric band which i assume will reduce how much I eat even mre

Granted, the thought of becoming a diabetic is indeed scary. My mom was recently diagnosed as pre-type 2 and is now trying to lose some weight as well.

But I think being petrified of going over your daily calorie goal is unhealthy for two reasons: 1) You can start to develop a very unhealthy relationship with food, and 2) It's causing you to under eat which, as we've already established, is also unhealthy.

And yes, a food scale will be a better investment in the long run, although probably not as much fun to use as a spiralizer. Since you're already scared of going over you daily calorie goal, I have to imagine that not knowing exactly how many calories you're consuming will only add to that fear. If you get a food scale and start using it to weigh everything you eat, you'll have a much more accurate picture of how much you're actually eating each day. And I suspect that once you start seeing what eating 1900 calories actually looks and feels like, while also seeing the numbers on the scale go down, your fears of eating too much will start to fade.
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd be ravenous too, if I ate your calorie totals! Your body needs the proper amount of calories to function. Food is FUEL for you. I would suggest meeting with a nutritionist who can help you set up the right amount of food for your needs/activity level. (Many health plans will cover the cost. If not, reach out to your local hospital, many of them offer free classes as part of their community outreach.)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    Thank's @slytherinlass90 for being open to sharing your diary. This is my two cents for whatever its worth. Feel free to ignore any information that you already have.

What are your calories, protein, carbohydrate and fat macronutrients set at in MFP?

According to your diary, Your eating more carbohydrates than protein. No wonder you're ravenous.
    Protein is a "macronutrient," meaning that the body needs relatively large amounts of it. The body does not store protein and therefore has no reservoir to draw on when it needs a new supply. For weight loss, your protein should be higher and your carbohydrates low. The protein will help you feel less hungry.

This is a link to a TDEE calculator to get your calories and macronutrients.
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

After you calculate go to macronutrients. you will see a tab that gives three options
    (1)maintaining (2) cutting (3) bulking. Click on cutting. It will give your daily calorie, protein, carb and fats goal for weight loss. You can enter that information into my fitness pal.

Wishing you the best,
    Jenn

This may be the case for you, but this blanket statement is not a statement of fact for everyone. I eat 50%-60% of my daily calories as carbs and I've lost over 125lbs and am never ravenous. It's okay to suggest that as a strategy to try to see if it helps, but you're making it sound like that's the unwavering rule for everyone and it's not.

OP, give it a try if you want, but be aware that it may help and it may not. You just have to try different strategies until you find the one that works for you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    Ok so what can I add that would be nutritious, Low sugar and carb but filling?

Baked Potatoes.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Why do you avoid meats? While there is protein in lentils and beans, there is far more carbs. Meat, eggs, and the like are far more protein and give fats as well. Oh, eat your calorie goal.
  • slytherinlass90
    slytherinlass90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Why do you avoid meats? While there is protein in lentils and beans, there is far more carbs. Meat, eggs, and the like are far more protein and give fats as well. Oh, eat your calorie goal.

Not avoiding just can't afford to have it as much as I'd like
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Many people will give the advice "eat more protein." It's the mantra of our day. But there is no need to overeat protein, and as the OP mentioned, it just costs you more $$ to overindulge in meats. The recommendation is .8 grams of protein per kg of body weight.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
  • rileysowner
    Options

Not avoiding just can't afford to have it as much as I'd like

Ok, that makes sense. They are still one of the best sources for protein.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Many people will give the advice "eat more protein." It's the mantra of our day. But there is no need to overeat protein, and as the OP mentioned, it just costs you more $$ to overindulge in meats. The recommendation is .8 grams of protein per kg of body weight.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096

Protein and fat are often more satiating than carbs. Also, when one is losing weight, extra protein can help spare muscle mass. Unless a person has existing kidney issues, eating some extra protein will not hurt, and if a person is below the amount MFP recommends, which is closer to the low end of the scale, it would be helpful to increase it.

As for cost, shopping sales, and getting cuts that are less expensive can help a lot. For example, a pork shoulder is usually quit inexpensive, around here on sale 99 cents a pound, but it can provide a lot of meat even when the fat sections are removed. I love cooking it up to make pulled pork in my slow cooker. Thankfully we have a freeze so we can purchase meat when it is on sale and have it available when we want it.

Having said that, beans and rice are cheap, provide a complete protein when eaten together, but are still really carb heavy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Today was 39 grams, yesterday was 56g and the day before was 47g. Unless OP is 154lbs or less, that's too low (I used the higher protein day, and your suggested 0.8g/kg to calculate that).
  • slytherinlass90
    slytherinlass90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am adding beans and lentils every day and having meat once (often WITH the meat) I tend to have meat once at dinner I'm also in England so our prices vairy quite a bit here