Hamstring pain after first weight session

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Anyone had the same experience when they first started weights?

not even weights. i'd been a bike commuter forever and then one day i signed up and did a circuit class. amrap lunges and squats, i don't even remember if weight was involved.

hardly the trainer's fault imo, since in my case it was a class and nothing was stopping me from pacing better. but i had no idea what i was setting myself up for, and it was three or four weeks before i really felt like i was getting near the end of the tunnel with doms.

protein helps. i think there's some support for calcium/vitamin a or d too, though obviously don't give yourself an overdose.

i support the movement idea, anything that will help you to maintain mobility in the muscles so you don't end up with microscars where right now your body is trying to fix microtears. and you don't mention whether it's one or both, but if it is only one of them or one is significantly more sore than the other, that's something to make a note of and bring up with the trainer the next time you meet.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Walk it out. The foam roller is not doing much in this situation. Get your workouts on. You'll be alright :)
  • joannalouise92
    joannalouise92 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately I've paid for a month with this trainer so can't just quit her.. but also I think it's my fault a little in that she wanted me to do a half hour of cardio after as a warm down but I just didn't have the time on Saturday and so just walked home

So far today it feels markedly better than yesterday.. if yesterday was a 8/10 struggle, today is just a 4.. so almost there (fingers crossed)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I've never before in my life done weight training, only cardio.. on Saturday I had my first weights session with a personal trainer, lots of squats and lunges and machines for the legs.. yesterday I was in some pain but today is awful!! I can hardly walk let alone go work out.. I've been trying to foam roller as often as I can this morning and rest most of the day....

Any advice on how long it'll take for me to get past this or how to speed up the healing? Feel like I can't continue with my work outs the way I'm feeling as can't walk let alone bend down / squat..

walking and stretching will be better than total rest.

yay DOMS!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Doing whatever caused you DOMS will help. In this case squats or lunges. Do them assisted with you hand on a chair or table if necessary.

Do you have anything to support this? Not being snarky, I've just never heard this before.

I learned it from former Mr. Universe Lance Dreyer back in the early 80s when I first started lifting. I forgot how he explained it, but it always stuck in my head and worked well for me on the heavier DOM days.

I'm going to bro science it and speculate perhaps it increases blood flow, speeding up repair, but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall here.

Honestly don't know too much broscience that incorporates body weight stretches, but yes blood flow is obviously behind it :). Quite simular to when one pulls a hammy, one doesn't immobilized the hamstring but rather use a stationary bike and/or do light running as part of the hehab along with stretching. Much less intensity but simular movements to heal.
  • Jm172017
    Jm172017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately I've paid for a month with this trainer so can't just quit her.. but also I think it's my fault a little in that she wanted me to do a half hour of cardio after as a warm down but I just didn't have the time on Saturday and so just walked home

So far today it feels markedly better than yesterday.. if yesterday was a 8/10 struggle, today is just a 4.. so almost there (fingers crossed)

She may have you on some kind of upper body/lower body split from what it sounds like. She'll be alright in terms of staying with her for a month. It's a great way to kick off an exercise habit!
  • joannalouise92
    joannalouise92 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the concern and help everyone
    By the way had my second session today, and you're right - today was upper body.. not looking forward to my arms tomorrow!!

And my legs are pretty much back to normal now - till next time!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I've never before in my life done weight training, only cardio.. on Saturday I had my first weights session with a personal trainer, lots of squats and lunges and machines for the legs.. yesterday I was in some pain but today is awful!! I can hardly walk let alone go work out.. I've been trying to foam roller as often as I can this morning and rest most of the day....

Any advice on how long it'll take for me to get past this or how to speed up the healing? Feel like I can't continue with my work outs the way I'm feeling as can't walk let alone bend down / squat..

It's called DOMs...they go away as you continue to train. The best thing you can do is to move...the worst thing you can do is nothing. After a couple of weeks things should normalize...not that you'll never be sore, but it won't be at that kind of intensity level.