Booze

Options
Going out for a Harry Potter pub crawl Friday. What booze is best to drink note: I hate Soda, Tonic, Gin and Oozo Fruit juices are High in sugar and Diet coke/pepsi has aspartame in so I'll be avoiding that. I DO like wine and if I weren't on a diet I'd be on Rum and coke or Guinness

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Guinness is actually one of the lower calorie beers. I'd get in a good gym session before and stick with Guinness
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Tequila shots? Personally, I'd go with wine, the calories are moderate if you're planning on fitting alcohol into your eating plan.
  • sNachers
    sNachers Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the low calorie beer like Michelob Ultra, Miller 64 or Bud 55? Not sure what you are going for with taste though, they don't have a lot of flavor.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I always do vodka and crystal light - just take one of the portable packages with you in your purse/pocket and add it to water! :)
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I second the Guinness option. About 10 calories an ounce last I checked. Also agree with the wine choice. I drink dry reds and I know I drink them a lot slower than other beverage choices. Calories are reasonable too for the portions, just have to be careful of the larger pours sometimes. I've been known to do the light beers when I'm having several, but GAH the taste.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Anything distilled is going to be better than a beer if you're worried about calories. But if you're going on a pub crawl that's not a regular thing you might just want to enjoy yourself and not worry about calories for one night.
  • slytherinlass90
    slytherinlass90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Wine works. Bars usually pour a bit heavy so I log 6oz instead of 5oz for a glass. Otherwise, I love whiskey or rye on the rocks. Also, log 2oz and not one.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Guinness is actually one of the lower calorie beers. I'd get in a good gym session before and stick with Guinness

Compared to what? Cheesecake Factory anything?!
    I love Guinness, but I never considered it low cal..
    Good stuff.
  • slytherinlass90
    Options

Good stuff.

I'm going to Dublin over St Patricks day, My Fiancee's sister and her husband work for Guinness and Last time I stayed with them we had "Breakfast" I have no idea how I'll handle it this time while trying to eat healthy.. When in Rome. Or Ireland. Ack you get the point
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd say go out and enjoy yourself! One instance of not watching what you eat and drink isn't going to throw you off.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

Good stuff.

I'm going to Dublin over St Patricks day, My Fiancee's sister and her husband work for Guinness and Last time I stayed with them we had "Breakfast" I have no idea how I'll handle it this time while trying to eat healthy.. When in Rome. Or Ireland. Ack you get the point

If you are in Dublin over St. Patrick's Day, don't stress. It's loads of fun - the parade is great craic, and the town gets busy. If you are going to be city centre, enjoy yourself in a pub - have a pint and relax. Get loads of walking done (very easy to do in Dublin) and you'll be fine.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is a big issue for me because I absolutely love drinking cocktails! And fruit juice is definitely not great calorie wise when you add it to a couple of shots of something or other!
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Vodka - Fresca - A tad bit of juice (pineapple/Orange/Cran) Wedge of lime. Really good. All Alcohols are roughly 80-120 calories a shot, Fresca is 0 calories.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Good stuff.

http://time.com/25145/guiness-calories-alcohol-content/

"Myth: Guinness is high in calories
    Guinness, a stout-style brew, is known for its creamy texture, dark color, and rich, caramel-tinged flavor. That means it must be high in calories, right? Not so fast. A 12-ounce serving of Guinness sets you back 125 calories—just 15 more than the same serving of Bud Light. Alcohol is beer’s main calorie source, and since Guinness is just 4.2% ABV, it’s relatively low in calories. The dark color and sweetness come from small amounts of roasted barley used in the brewing process. And that thick, creamy texture? Most beers are carbonated with carbon dioxide, but Guinness uses a mix of CO2 and nitrogen. Nitrogen bubbles are smaller than CO2 bubbles, which produces a smoother “mouthfeel,” as beer nerds call it."

So, Bud Light for 110 calories vs. Guinness for 125 calories. I know which one I'm picking.

(Hint, I like drinking beer, not making love in a canoe).
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Wait. A Harry Potter pub crawl? I'm going to need more information about this.
  • slytherinlass90
    Options

If you are in Dublin over St. Patrick's Day, don't stress. It's loads of fun - the parade is great craic, and the town gets busy. If you are going to be city centre, enjoy yourself in a pub - have a pint and relax. Get loads of walking done (very easy to do in Dublin) and you'll be fine.

I've been several times, probably hide from "obnoxious" tourists on the 17th. I'm also mobility impaired but as always I'll be on an Oscar Wilde hunt
  • slytherinlass90
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Wait. A Harry Potter pub crawl? I'm going to need more information about this.
    http://www.nottinghampost.com/a-harry-potter-pub-crawl-is-coming-to-nottingham/story-30032987-detail/story.html
  • JustPeachy0
    JustPeachy0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love deep Eddy's cranberry or peach with minute maid 15 calorie lemonade. There is also a 5 calorie diet cranberry that comes in different flavors
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    White wine spritzer