Meal replacement shakes

Options
jay221588
jay221588 Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
What's the consensus on meal replacement shakes? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it?

I just ordered one that is soy based:
13g protein
8g sugar
130 calories
Per serving.

New to this looking for advice.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Ordered meaning on Amazon or a "health coach"? It's all a matter of personal preference. I like to have a protein shake if I'm on the go. Just remember your results are defined by meeting your calorie goals.
  • jay221588
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Ordered meaning on Amazon or a "health coach"? It's all a matter of personal preference. I like to have a protein shake if I'm on the go. Just remember your results are defined by meeting your calorie goals.

Ordered off Amazon. I just started logging everything so hopefully that will help.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing everything as well and logging using correct entries (no homemade or generic). Also check the labels to make sure they correlate with the MFP entry. What shake did you order?
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't go with meal replacement shakes only because I find I'm still hungry when the shakes are gone. I need to eat my calories or I end up going over calories. I do have a protien shake on occasion when I notice that I'm not gonna get all of my protein goal met.

Definitely do what will work for you. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're expecting from them really. If you're expecting them to magically make you lose weight then no. If you're using it as a method to increase your protein intake as a supplement and reduce your calorie intake then it may help but they aren't great as a long term sustainable plan.

I occasionally use a shake to up my protein after strength training to help with recovery but I wouldn't find it filling as a meal replacement. I would be ready to chew my own arm off.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then its just fine. I personally don't drink calories because I don't stay satiated. I prefer to eat all my calories. What I would encourage you to do is to think long term, can you drink a meal replacement shake from now on? If so, great, if not you may want to consider making other adjustments. Good luck either way.
  • jay221588
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Make sure you are weighing everything as well and logging using correct entries (no homemade or generic). Also check the labels to make sure they correlate with the MFP entry. What shake did you order?

I just picked the first cost efficient one I could find. Naturade total soy. I'm doing a test run with it. I'll keep that in mind when logging.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just depends on your preference really. I like mine for breakfast. It's convenient for me.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't like the full meal replacement ones because if I'm not chewing I don't feel satisfied lol.

I do drink a muscle milk light shake (they have them at Costco) on the way to work, because I am usually not hungry first thing in the morning but feel like I should have a little something. They're only 100 calories, so I'll usually have a midmorning snack or a bigger early lunch.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't even get why anyone would willingly replace a meal. I like to eat. I would think people who need to lose weight, like to eat.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think I'm hungrier AFTER I have one of those things. Nope, food for me please.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    That looks like a protein shake to me, not a meal replacement. As stated, a meal replacement shake would be more like 3-400 calories.

I use protein shakes to help me hit protein goals or if I'm under on my calories for the day and need a quick easy bump. I find them in no way satisfying. I find a cup of coffee fills me longer!

So just eat food. Eat at a deficit. There's nothing in these shakes you can't achieve with a more satisfying, more nutrient dense, tastier, meal.
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jay221588 wrote: »
    What's the consensus on meal replacement shakes? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it?

13g protein
    8g sugar
    130 calories
    Per serving.

I would hardly call 130 calories a meal replacement. Is this really a meal replacement shake? Meal replacement shakes are different than protein shakes...a protein shake is just a supplement for protein and lacks the requisite nutrition and calories to be considered a meal replacement. An actual meal replacement shake is going to have a variety of nutrients as you would get with an actual meal...and they're typically more than 130 calories.

Personally, I would rather just eat food.

Right on the money with this comment from cwolfman. A "protein shake" is a different entity than a "meal replacement shake". The former being used for an additional protein source, and the latter being used as a balanced (in theory having some fats, carbs, and protein as well as vitamins and minerals) meal, albeit a fairly/relatively low total calorie one.
    I use meal replacement shakes from time to time because, for me, they seem more easily used by my body and I can drink one 30 minutes before a workout and not feel bloated or full when I'm working out. I don't use them more than twice a week and that's just my personal preference. I did perform a test on myself using the Nature's Best Isopure, Creamy Vanilla drink packets (powdered) with unsweetened almond milk, every morning for 60 days and didn't find any positive or negative consequences. I will try to post a pic of the contents of this particular meal replacement. It is the best one I could find, so far anyway, and I also picked it up from amazon.8f3gvstcqbf3.jpg
  • Scherba1969
    Scherba1969 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Before eating/drinking SOY - perhaps you should look up the harmful effects it has in woman. I would suggest a Whey protein shake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

13g protein
    8g sugar
    130 calories
    Per serving.

130 calories is hardy a meal. I second @VintageFeline .....this is a protein shake. Use it to supplement your protein needs or as a quick (running out the door) breakfast. You might find that soy (protein) has a weird taste.

The consensus here is pretty much that meal replacement shake users don't learn portion control and calorie limits. Most of the "work" is done for you. This makes sense because this is a site for measuring & logging foods. Meal replacements help you skip over that part.

I did meal replacement shakes many years ago. Was hungry most of the time. Got bored of the same thing over & over......lost weight, then regained it all.

Meal replacements deal first step 1 - weight loss. But they do nothing to address step 2 - maintenance.
  • jay221588
    Options
    I don't even get why anyone would willingly replace a meal. I like to eat. I would think people who need to lose weight, like to eat.

Of course I enjoy eating who doesn't. ;) but I am open to trying new things that may work for my lifestyle.
  • jay221588
    Options
    Before eating/drinking SOY - perhaps you should look up the harmful effects it has in woman. I would suggest a Whey protein shake.

I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip.
  • jay221588
    Options
    mdrolle wrote: »

13g protein
    8g sugar
    130 calories
    Per serving.

I would hardly call 130 calories a meal replacement. Is this really a meal replacement shake? Meal replacement shakes are different than protein shakes...a protein shake is just a supplement for protein and lacks the requisite nutrition and calories to be considered a meal replacement. An actual meal replacement shake is going to have a variety of nutrients as you would get with an actual meal...and they're typically more than 130 calories.

Right on the money with this comment from cwolfman. A "protein shake" is a different entity than a "meal replacement shake". The former being used for an additional protein source, and the latter being used as a balanced (in theory having some fats, carbs, and protein as well as vitamins and minerals) meal, albeit a fairly/relatively low total calorie one.
    I use meal replacement shakes from time to time because, for me, they seem more easily used by my body and I can drink one 30 minutes before a workout and not feel bloated or full when I'm working out. I don't use them more than twice a week and that's just my personal preference. I did perform a test on myself using the Nature's Best Isopure, Creamy Vanilla drink packets (powdered) with unsweetened almond milk, every morning for 60 days and didn't find any positive or negative consequences. I will try to post a pic of the contents of this particular meal replacement. It is the best one I could find, so far anyway, and I also picked it up from amazon.8f3gvstcqbf3.jpg

I find it interesting that you didn't find any positive or negative consequences after 60 days. That's why I asked this question. I chose this as a starting point because I'm clueless as to what supplements can do when trying to lose weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    mdrolle wrote: »

13g protein
    8g sugar
    130 calories
    Per serving.

I find it interesting that you didn't find any positive or negative consequences after 60 days. That's why I asked this question. I chose this as a starting point because I'm clueless as to what supplements can do when trying to lose weight.

Nothing. Any legal supplements do nothing. You have to put in the work regardless.