205 to 179.6 in 8 weeks

Options
I am 5' 8'' and I have lost a little over 25 pounds over the course of the last eight weeks. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and do about 5 hours of cardio. I burn usually between 700-1200 calories per gym session. In the past week I decided to go running on my 2 rest days. In the past week alone I dropped 5.6 pounds. Is this too fast? I eat around 1200 calories a day, never less. I am loving the loss but I don't want to end up with loose or saggy skin. I know big losses are expected in the beginning but I thought they started to tamper off after a while. Thoughts?

Replies

• melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any of your exercise calories?
  • guessjr94
    guessjr94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes probably around 2-300 of them back every day. I am always hungry after I leave the gym at night.
  • guessjr94
    Options
    I actually kind of like it. I just do an hour every time I go to the gym and then work on the rest of my body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    guessjr94 wrote: »
    I actually kind of like it. I just do an hour every time I go to the gym and then work on the rest of my body.

Your body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat, and then it goes for muscle.

How much do you want to lose all together? You don't look that big in your profile picture?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8'' and I have lost a little over 25 pounds over the course of the last eight weeks. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and do about 5 hours of cardio. I burn usually between 700-1200 calories per gym session. In the past week I decided to go running on my 2 rest days. In the past week alone I dropped 5.6 pounds. Is this too fast? I eat around 1200 calories a day, never less. I am loving the loss but I don't want to end up with loose or saggy skin. I know big losses are expected in the beginning but I thought they started to tamper off after a while. Thoughts?

That's pretty good going, works out about 3.5lbs a week which is a little over the recommended. As long as your eating right there's nothing wrong with it.
  • guessjr94
    Options
    I am trying to lose 15 more pounds to be in the "normal" range.

Your body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat, and then it goes for muscle.

How much do you want to lose all together? You don't look that big in your profile picture?

• guessjr94
    Options
    I eat back about 2-300 calories everyday and I actually probably go over my calories atleast twice a week. And I do usually have 2 rest days, it was just nice out so I wanted to do something on those days.
    Yeah, 5.6 pounds in a week indicates that you are losing too quickly.

Are you eating back any exercise calories? Why are you denying your body rest days?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat back about 2-300 calories everyday and I actually probably go over my calories atleast twice a week. And I do usually have 2 rest days, it was just nice out so I wanted to do something on those days.

Are you eating back any exercise calories? Why are you denying your body rest days?

I get it (I'm very active myself), but your body needs time to recover (especially when you aren't eating enough). If you're truly eating 1,200 and burning around 700 calories (which could be inflated, I'm not sure), then you're leaving your body only 500 calories for all the other essentials of daily life. That isn't enough.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

That's pretty good going, works out about 3.5lbs a week which is a little over the recommended. As long as your eating right there's nothing wrong with it.

Gross 1200 cals isn't 'right'

How do you come to that conclusion? We've already established she's losing over the recommended weekly rate but 1200 is far from starvation. It completely depends on what her calories consist of.
  • guessjr94
    Options
    So maybe I should cut my cardio back some then, and I go off of the treadmill. I enter in my age and weight and it does the calculation for me.

I get it (I'm very active myself), but your body needs time to recover (especially when you aren't eating enough). If you're truly eating 1,200 and burning around 700 calories (which could be inflated, I'm not sure), then you're leaving your body only 500 calories for all the other essentials of daily life. That isn't enough.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How do you come to that conclusion? We've already established she's losing over the recommended weekly rate but 1200 is far from starvation. It completely depends on what her calories consist of.

Someone who is eating 1,200 and burning 700 in a gym session (assuming those numbers are accurate) is only giving her body 500 net (800 if she eats back 300 calories). This isn't enough.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Someone who is eating 1,200 and burning 700 in a gym session (assuming those numbers are accurate) is only giving her body 500 net (800 if she eats back 300 calories). This isn't enough.

I still don't see this as wrong.. 800 calories a day is a huge deficit but it's not starving.

If she is able to eat enough good food and exercise and doesn't suffer from any side effects I don't see the problem.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    So I'm really curious about how you are feeling? Do you feel low on energy? You have really lost a lot in a short period. I would imagine eventually energy levels might crash.
  • guessjr94
    Options
    I actually feel fine. A little tired but that's what happens when you also work 2 jobs, go to school and take care of a 4 year old. I rest when my body tells me to, I eat when I'm hungry.
    So I'm really curious about how you are feeling? Do you feel low on energy? You have really lost a lot in a short period. I would imagine eventually energy levels might crash.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

You do an hour of cardio? I thought you said in the OP that you were doing 5 hours of cardio?

Oh wait...you mean 5 hours each week. That's a good thing. And frankly, I know plenty of people that spend hours in the gym every night and I see nothing wrong with that at all. It's your life - do what you like. :)