Just tried my fist quest bar

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    So, my bars from MyProtein arrived several days early. I managed to make room for two in my cals and macros today. Honestly, they are better than the old Quest bars, in my opinion.

1: Extremely chewy (to the point where it actually slows eating), so that's a plus over the chalky bleh of the new Quest formula.

2: The chocolate bar actually tastes like chocolate, and not chemical warfare.

3: They are slightly heavier than Quest bars (65g vs. 60g).

4: They didn't use any sugar alcohols, which is a plus for those who are sensitive to them.

5: The nutrion labels are far more precise, I am guessing because of UK standards. For example, the chocolate bar is 192 kcals, and the apple cinnamon is 198. Macros are about the same as Quest bars, but some bars are lower fat than others. All are between 19.7 and 21g of protein.

6: As with everything MP does, the pricing is beyond competitive. As I said, I got 60 bars for $84 US, and my shipping was free, due to the size of the order. $1.40 per bar is insane for any bar, let alone one I am enjoying this much.

Overall, this is the first time in years I've been excited for a new entry in the protein bar market.

Thanks for the review I will be ordering these. I am in desperate need of a new protein bar none of the others I have tried are cutting it. Let me know which flavor is best.

So far, I've managed to make three of them fit into my calories and macros for the day. I am tempted to put in an extra couple of miles to get in the other two though.

So far, my preference order is:
    1) chocolate - I am honestly amazed that someone managed to make a chocolate protein bar that isn't just not terrible, but it actually one of the best bars I've ever had.
    2) cookies and cream: completely different from what one might be used to with Quest. The cookie bits are much smaller, and more add a texture and flavor profile, rather than being overbearing wads of chalk like Quest's cnc.
    3) apple cinnamon: still very good, but less chewy than the first two. The fine chunks of apple include skin, which was a pleasant surprise for me. I hate it when bars just have the meat of the apple in them, as the skin is my favorite part.

If I manage to get to the almond vanilla and caramel peanut later today, I'll drop in another update. If not for the fact that I have a pound of 95/5 ground beef that I have to cook and eat tonight, I'd be willing to drop that to get the other two in. Yeah, that good so far, that I am willing to pass on a pound of meat to be able to eat them, which is unheard of for me.

LOVE myprotein products! You can use my code to save $10 :)http://us.myprotein.com/referrals.list?applyCode=JOSHUA-R4GS&li

Have you tried their protein cookies? Thanks josh! If I make order tonight I will use your referral code, 10 for each of us win win :smiley:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So, my bars from MyProtein arrived several days early. I managed to make room for two in my cals and macros today. Honestly, they are better than the old Quest bars, in my opinion.

1: Extremely chewy (to the point where it actually slows eating), so that's a plus over the chalky bleh of the new Quest formula.

4: They didn't use any sugar alcohols, which is a plus for those who are sensitive to them.

5: The nutrion labels are far more precise, I am guessing because of UK standards. For example, the chocolate bar is 192 kcals, and the apple cinnamon is 198. Macros are about the same as Quest bars, but some bars are lower fat than others. All are between 19.7 and 21g of protein.

6: As with everything MP does, the pricing is beyond competitive. As I said, I got 60 bars for $84 US, and my shipping was free, due to the size of the order. $1.40 per bar is insane for any bar, let alone one I am enjoying this much.

Overall, this is the first time in years I've been excited for a new entry in the protein bar market.

Thanks for the review I will be ordering these. I am in desperate need of a new protein bar none of the others I have tried are cutting it. Let me know which flavor is best.

So far, I've managed to make three of them fit into my calories and macros for the day. I am tempted to put in an extra couple of miles to get in the other two though.

1) chocolate - I am honestly amazed that someone managed to make a chocolate protein bar that isn't just not terrible, but it actually one of the best bars I've ever had.
    2) cookies and cream: completely different from what one might be used to with Quest. The cookie bits are much smaller, and more add a texture and flavor profile, rather than being overbearing wads of chalk like Quest's cnc.
    3) apple cinnamon: still very good, but less chewy than the first two. The fine chunks of apple include skin, which was a pleasant surprise for me. I hate it when bars just have the meat of the apple in them, as the skin is my favorite part.

If I manage to get to the almond vanilla and caramel peanut later today, I'll drop in another update. If not for the fact that I have a pound of 95/5 ground beef that I have to cook and eat tonight, I'd be willing to drop that to get the other two in. Yeah, that good so far, that I am willing to pass on a pound of meat to be able to eat them, which is unheard of for me.

LOVE myprotein products! You can use my code to save $10 :)http://us.myprotein.com/referrals.list?applyCode=JOSHUA-R4GS&li

Have you tried their protein cookies? Thanks josh! If I make order tonight I will use your referral code, 10 for each of us win win :smiley:

I have. The cookies and brownies are both awesome. They're heavy, but soft and chewy. With the macros outlays, I'll often use a brownie as a pre-lift food, and a cookie for post. I'd prefer if they were a bit lower fat for this purpose, but it's not too terribly high.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Hey I am

I private messaged you ;)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Double chocolate chunk and it was disgusting yuk yuk yuk. It's rated by many as one of the best flavours and I love choc but this was just no. Urgh

This has been my experience with every Quest bar I've tried. I really wanted to like the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip but ended up pitching most of it. I dont get the hype at all. All I seem to taste is the artificial sweeteners in them. Blech.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ha, I actually really like quest bars. I don't think I have had the old formula. But again, I pretty much like anything I try-I am not very picky at all. And they are a great way to bump up my protein as I try to get more protein in my diet than carbs or fat and usually have a hard time doing it.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like Oh Yeah bars especially Lemon Cake
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I stick with Oatmega or Pure Protein. I haven't found any other that taste good or that are worth the calories...and even the pure protein is limited to one or two flavors I like.

I think Quest in general is just...meh. Don't try the protein chips. They are like flavored sawdust. I can't get past the texture to enjoy them.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Based on your review (and that fact that they actually ship to where I live and have a seriously awesome price! :flushed: ) I ordered some... as in 4 boxes of the stuff... I'll send them to you if I don't like them :tongue:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Based on your review (and that fact that they actually ship to where I live and have a seriously awesome price! :flushed: ) I ordered some... as in 4 boxes of the stuff... I'll send them to you if I don't like them :tongue:

ebay has them cheap
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I stick with Epic meat bars - https://www.epicbar.com/ - and Rise Almond Honey Whey bars - https://risebar.com/shop/protein-bars/almond-honey-protein-bars-2/

Thank you for the pointer to Epic meat bars. The whole web site is an eye-opener. Many of the products have zero sugar, as meat products should!

I think we all know that these bars are a fallback when real food is not available or practical. I mean, what snack could be better than something fresh, like nuts, fruit, cheese, yogurt, right? (Maybe some of you don't agree and would prefer a bar of some sort. Sorry that I think you're nuts!)

Anyway, I keep emergency rations in my office for when I'm seriously in need. This consists of a 40-count box of Kashi bars from Costco. I try to bring lunch and a snack of fresh food from home every day, but every once in a while I come up short.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

ebay has them cheap

Which is great... but doesn't solve the shipping problem. Trust me on that one. :angry:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I stick with Epic meat bars - https://www.epicbar.com/ - and Rise Almond Honey Whey bars - https://risebar.com/shop/protein-bars/almond-honey-protein-bars-2/

Thank you for the pointer to Epic meat bars. The whole web site is an eye-opener. Many of the products have zero sugar, as meat products should!

I think we all know that these bars are a fallback when real food is not available or practical. I mean, what snack could be better than something fresh, like nuts, fruit, cheese, yogurt, right? (Maybe some of you don't agree and would prefer a bar of some sort. Sorry that I think you're nuts!)

Anyway, I keep emergency rations in my office for when I'm seriously in need. This consists of a 40-count box of Kashi bars from Costco. I try to bring lunch and a snack of fresh food from home every day, but every once in a while I come up short.

Eh, I have a protein bar every day instead of breakfast because they're the easiest way for me to get 20g of protein in approximately 200 calories. I love to cook and don't eat a great deal of convenience food (and I never buy bars with less protein, like Kashi or Larabars, the "granola bar" types) but a bar like Quest is by far the best macro-friendly option for breakfast for me. Yeah, I could eat 200 calories of chicken breast for breakfast to the same effect, but I can stomach a bar more easily at 5AM and get some fibre too.

I used to eat fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, occasionally eggs for breakfast but it was just too hard to hit my protein goals in a reasonable number of calories (since I like to eat the bulk of mine at night), so...bars it is. I now buy Costco's Kirkland Quest knockoffs since they're way cheaper and taste fine.

I mean, I'm not knocking breakfast and everyone is entitled to find their own way of hitting their own goals, but I'm just saying for me the protein bars are a very efficient way of reaching my nutrition goals and allowing me to eat how I want to later in the day.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like the ThinkThin bars, KIND bars, and cliff bars. There are others, but they don't come to mind at the moment. Quest bars are okay, but not my favorite. I like the banana nut one.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Quest always seemed like flavored sawdust to me.

Just my opinion.

I tried Epic meat bars and they were an epic failure. They smelled like dog food to me and the taste was foul. I was bummed because I was hoping for a good savory protein bar, most are just so sweet.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I used to eat fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, occasionally eggs for breakfast but it was just too hard to hit my protein goals in a reasonable number of calories (since I like to eat the bulk of mine at night), so...bars it is. I now buy Costco's Kirkland Quest knockoffs since they're way cheaper and taste fine.

I guess it's a question of natural (whole food) vs. cost/convenience vs. macro goals: you can only get 2 out of 3 at the same time!
  • peleroja
    Options

I guess it's a question of natural (whole food) vs. cost/convenience vs. macro goals: you can only get 2 out of 3 at the same time!

I don't really believe in "natural" as an eating concept, since everyone's definition seems to differ and I see no evidence-based science indicating that whey protein, milk protein, tapioca starch, cashews, chocolate, erythiritol, cocoa cutter, sea salt, sunflower lecithin, or stevia should be problematic for any reason to a healthy person without allergies or food sensitivities such as myself.

I would estimate that half of what I eat every day is fresh vegetables (mostly raw), but I don't ascribe any superiority to those over protein bars just because I didn't mix the ingredients myself for the latter. It's all food, it's all "real", and it all fulfills a necessary part of my diet. The fact that something comes out of a wrapper doesn't mean it's somehow bad for you and I think that's quite a damaging myth that makes a lot of people feel that taking care of themselves/their weight is somehow impossible since they have difficulty committing to this (somewhat nebulous) idea of "natural" food only.

I don't think anyone should be existing on a diet of exclusively Pizza Pops or anything but I don't think you get bonus points for living on raw almonds and kale over an equally varied, nutrient-rich diet that incorporates some packaged food.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

I don't really believe in "natural" as an eating concept, since everyone's definition seems to differ and I see no evidence-based science indicating that whey protein, milk protein, tapioca starch, cashews, chocolate, erythiritol, cocoa cutter, sea salt, sunflower lecithin, or stevia should be problematic for any reason to a healthy person without allergies or food sensitivities such as myself.

I would estimate that half of what I eat every day is fresh vegetables (mostly raw), but I don't ascribe any superiority to those over protein bars just because I didn't mix the ingredients myself for the latter. It's all food, it's all "real", and it all fulfills a necessary part of my diet. The fact that something comes out of a wrapper doesn't mean it's somehow bad for you and I think that's quite a damaging myth that makes a lot of people feel that taking care of themselves/their weight is somehow impossible since they have difficulty committing to this (somewhat nebulous) idea of "natural" food only.

I don't think anyone should be existing on a diet of exclusively Pizza Pops or anything but I don't think you get bonus points for living on raw almonds and kale over an equally varied, nutrient-rich diet that incorporates some packaged food.

*Common sense alert, common sense alert beep beep beep beep*
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Eh, I have a protein bar every day instead of breakfast because they're the easiest way for me to get 20g of protein in approximately 200 calories.

There are, of course, many ways to get to that. 1 cup of non-fat cottage cheese has 160cal and 20g protein and you have 40 free calories for flavorings (woo hoo?).

But I totally agree that there's no particular reason to think that it is better to eat cottage cheese than a protein bar.
  • peleroja
    Options
    Eh, I have a protein bar every day instead of breakfast because they're the easiest way for me to get 20g of protein in approximately 200 calories.

There are, of course, many ways to get to that. 1 cup of non-fat cottage cheese has 160cal and 20g protein and you have 40 free calories for flavorings (woo hoo?).

But I totally agree that there's no particular reason to think that it is better to eat cottage cheese than a protein bar.

I said "easiest way for me" rather than "only" for a reason ;). Personally, I really don't enjoy eating in the morning (I just do it because I find it has a positive effect on my energy level) and most of the other options do not appeal to me at 5AM.

I'm not judging other people's choices with that or anything, I just get pretty grossed out by the thought of a hunk of chicken or bowl of wet cheese first thing in the morning, haha. Not a great pairing with coffee for my palate, which is a dealbreaker for me since a cup of strong black coffee is my reason for living before sunrise.