Weight hasn't budged in 2 weeks

Options
Ok so I had a procedure on my heart (EP study) on Feb 7th. On that day I weighed myself and had lost 1.2 pounds since my last weigh in which put me at just a little over 2 pounds lost that week. I was steadily losing 1.5 to little over 2 pounds a week up until that point. After the procedure I had to take it easy for about a week so I did A LOT of sitting or laying in bed for the first 4 days. I made sure to stay within my calorie allowance each day and log and weigh/measure everything like I always have.

I started working out again last Thursday (the 16th). I have my activity set to sedentary because I don't work outside of the home. We own a business so I handle everything from home which does require being on the computer etc for certain amounts of time during the day. But i do have quite a few days out of the week that I'm up and constantly on the go. On a day I'm not constantly running around or exercise I walk roughly around 4000 steps. On days I exercise for 30 to 40 min and I'm on my
feet most of the day I walk roughly around 8500 to 11,500 steps (this is typically 4 to 5 days a week).

I haven't changed anything with my diet or exercise and my weight hasn't budged since Feb 7th.

I'm 5'3 and currently weigh 180 lbs. My daily calorie allowance is 1360 and I typically only eat back 50% of my exercise calories. I don't use MFP to calculate calories burned during exercise. I use a polar HRM along with my Apple Watch. I only eat back 50% to leave room for over calculation on my burn.

I wouldn't think I'm consuming to many calories every day as like I said I'm at 1360 and my net calories every week is around 1250 to 1350.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm not consuming enough calories throughout the day because I'm not sedentary every single day. Some days I feel pretty hungry by the time I go to bed or I have bad hunger pains when I wake up in the morning or middle of the night.

I'm open to anyone's comments or suggestions. I want to lose weight the right and safe way. I don't want to be doing this for nothing lol.

Replies

• alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You just started working out again. It's more than likely water retention.

Weight loss isn't linear. I'm a daily weigher. My weight has been 1lb over my lowest recorded weight for 9 days now. It's fine. I know I have been eating in a deficit and it's physically impossible for me to not to have lost. So it will show on the scale when it shows. Trust the process, don't panic over 1 weigh in.

I weigh daily as well and use the happy scale app to track my weight. It's just frustrating lol

• tami7460
    tami7460 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started ten days ago. I want to lose about 7 pounds. I've been very faithful to staying at or under the 1350 calorie recommendation from my fitness and have been getting 30-60 minutes of cardio (mostly rowing) in at least 6 times a week, plus have been doing some light strength training daily. But I've only lost 1 pound in 10 days and that was on day 3. So frustrating! I did take measurements, and have definetally lost some inches.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tami7460 wrote: »
    I just started ten days ago. I want to lose about 7 pounds. I've been very faithful to staying at or under the 1350 calorie recommendation from my fitness and have been getting 30-60 minutes of cardio (mostly rowing) in at least 6 times a week, plus have been doing some light strength training daily. But I've only lost 1 pound in 10 days and that was on day 3. So frustrating! I did take measurements, and have definetally lost some inches.

Why do you find this frustrating? What was your expectation?
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Do you try to keep up with your macros? Some users, including myself, have found that when they play around with the macros (but keep the same calorie goal) they find the "sweet spot" that's most beneficial for their weight loss. For me, it's more protein and fat and less carbs.

I also agree with what @VintageFeline said - you did just begin working out again and it could be water retention. I know this is always preached too, but be sure you are accurately logging your calories with a scale.

I used to get hunger pains at night too, so I went from 1300 to 1500 and drank more water/tea at night. Now I never get them.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am just another dieter not a medical professional but I would think that the procedure you went through could have messed with the water balance in your body. Also I'm not sure what activity setting you have set but if you aren't lifting all day or running as in a waitress you are likely sedentary. If you are using a fitness band to track your steps you are already getting credit for that burn. Don't set yourself as lightly active then take extra calories for your steps as you are actually double dipping. Having said all that, in my personal experience (I've lost 72 pounds) I found that exercise only increased my loss by 20 to 25 percent. Most of it came from a reduction in calories. A two week maintenance could just be a blip do to TOM or your medical test. I would be patient and be sure to weigh all your food. Don't guess at how much you are eating. Log everything you eat including a taste here and there. It all adds up. I was guessing at my morning cream cheese and found I was actually eating 50% more than I thought. The difference is only 32 calories but over and over all day it can add up. I hate weighing my food but it has helped me tighten up my logging. Good luck!
  • alid8333
    Options
    ddeliciosa wrote: »
    Do you try to keep up with your macros? Some users, including myself, have found that when they play around with the macros (but keep the same calorie goal) they find the "sweet spot" that's most beneficial for their weight loss. For me, it's more protein and fat and less carbs.

I also agree with what @VintageFeline said - you did just begin working out again and it could be water retention. I know this is always preached too, but be sure you are accurately logging your calories with a scale.

I used to get hunger pains at night too, so I went from 1300 to 1500 and drank more water/tea at night. Now I never get them.

I do accurately log everything. I weigh all solids and measure all liquids. So I know I'm good on that. I have noticed my hands are retaining some water. I also did up my water intake and that's all I drink is water now. I do allow myself 4oz of 100% cran grape juice daily with dinner.

• ashringg
    ashringg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey again but I find bodybuilding.com is really informative. You should look up weight loss and fat loss tips there. Trying tracking your Macros like the other user said. And I read an article about carb cycling.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Really? This is your helpful advice? One pound in ten days IS frustrating. What is so hard to understand about that?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    So just to be clear, Feb 7th a heart procedure followed by significantly less activity than normal so likely burning less calories. Feb 16th, start working out again so calorie burn goes up, but due to the fact this is and increase in exercise activity you will likely be retaining water. Basically when you say you have not done anything different, the reality is you have done things different because of the heart procedure. My suggestion would be see what happens in the next two weeks as right now you are in a transition period starting back with exercise. If weight does not start coming off, then re-examine your food logging, and maybe recalculate your calorie goal.

Not being familiar with the procedure you had, I have no idea if there is anything from it that could affect weight. You may want to check into that since certain things cause water retention during recovery. Again, that would likely be something that would pass as you completely recover from it.

Finally, this is a good point to remind you that scales are really not a very helpful measure of progress. There are many variables, some of which you are likely facing right now, that can mask fat loss. If you don't take body measurements you might want to consider doing so every 2 to 4 weeks. Also, pictures can often reveal changes that will be masked by water retention or other factors.

• SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    tami7460 wrote: »

I think you're doing fine. 1 pound in 10 days is basically a pound in a week (only a little less). Don't expect to drop 7 pounds in a month. My advice is find a way to enjoy the process of losing weight so you don't get frustrated. I have 28 lbs to lose which seems like a long, long way to go, but I've made little mini goals for myself to help to ease the feeling. That way, before I know it, I'll be 115 lbs and say, "wow, how'd I get here?" I'm already amazed that back in September I was 11 pounds heavier than I am now. You just gotta find a way to make the ride to your destination more enjoyable.
  • alid8333
    Options
    So just to be clear, Feb 7th a heart procedure followed by significantly less activity than normal so likely burning less calories. Feb 16th, start working out again so calorie burn goes up, but due to the fact this is and increase in exercise activity you will likely be retaining water. Basically when you say you have not done anything different, the reality is you have done things different because of the heart procedure. My suggestion would be see what happens in the next two weeks as right now you are in a transition period starting back with exercise. If weight does not start coming off, then re-examine your food logging, and maybe recalculate your calorie goal.

Not being familiar with the procedure you had, I have no idea if there is anything from it that could affect weight. You may want to check into that since certain things cause water retention during recovery. Again, that would likely be something that would pass as you completely recover from it.

Finally, this is a good point to remind you that scales are really not a very helpful measure of progress. There are many variables, some of which you are likely facing right now, that can mask fat loss. If you don't take body measurements you might want to consider doing so every 2 to 4 weeks. Also, pictures can often reveal changes that will be masked by water retention or other factors.

The procedure on my heart doesn't affect weight gain or loss. I do take measurements as well and there has been a slight change since the last time I measured before that.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    alid8333 wrote: »

The procedure on my heart doesn't affect weight gain or loss. I do take measurements as well and there has been a slight change since the last time I measured before that.

Since that is the case, I a still thinking water retention from the various changes in activity, with maybe a little slower loss during the time you were doing less. If things don't start up in a week or two, then it is probably not water retention. Keep at it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    Because they only have 7lbs to lose. Progress will be slow. Natural fluctuations in water weight can mask losses for week son end when your deficit and losses are small.

Ah. Then I think that would have been a more helpful response. :)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

Really? This is your helpful advice? One pound in ten days IS frustrating. What is so hard to understand about that?

It wasn't advice. It was two questions. I was trying to figure out why you would be frustrated to have lost a pound in 10 days. That is good progress and not anything to be frustrated or complain about.

To you maybe. I actually believe that one pound in 10 days IS frustrating, and many others do as well. I'd rather see a post explaining about how it should NOT be (when clearly you know why she is), than a post asking "why are you frustrated"?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options

It wasn't advice. It was two questions. I was trying to figure out why you would be frustrated to have lost a pound in 10 days. That is good progress and not anything to be frustrated or complain about.

To you maybe. I actually believe that one pound in 10 days IS frustrating, and many others do as well. I'd rather see a post explaining about how it should NOT be (when clearly you know why she is), than a post asking "why are you frustrated"?

Yes weight loss is slow .. I guess we should remember this to help us not gain it back after losing it

Good luck