If I can live without alcohol and feel content why is living without sugar harder lol

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I, personally, refuse to give up added sugar. Hence my daily handful of M&Ms. But I also have no problem eating just a handful and walking away. It's taken a long while to get to the point of walking away but I conquered that *kitten*

Life without M&Ms = no bueno for me :'(
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    KatieBaack wrote: »
    I used to have a massive sweet tooth (could go through a whole big bag of Hershey's Kisses in less than a week at work) - what worked for me was getting a 20oz travel coffee mug (leak proof) & dumping in 1 packet of Swiss Miss Simply Dark Cocoa & half a cup of milk & topping the rest off with coffee. Shake it up and it's a home made mocha. Satisfies my sweet tooth without doing as much damage as the bajillion kisses. I still have a stash of them at my desk but haven't touched them in over a month. Good luck!

I know Walden Farms calorie free products don't get much love here on MFP but they have a calorie free chocolate syrup that has its use. It is definitely not something I would use alone, like on top of ice cream, but a tablespoon of it in my coffee along with a tablespoon of 1/2 & 1/2 makes for a great cup of mocha
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I used to have a massive sweet tooth (could go through a whole big bag of Hershey's Kisses in less than a week at work) - what worked for me was getting a 20oz travel coffee mug (leak proof) & dumping in 1 packet of Swiss Miss Simply Dark Cocoa & half a cup of milk & topping the rest off with coffee. Shake it up and it's a home made mocha. Satisfies my sweet tooth without doing as much damage as the bajillion kisses. I still have a stash of them at my desk but haven't touched them in over a month. Good luck!

I know Walden Farms calorie free products don't get much love here on MFP but they have a calorie free chocolate syrup that has its use. It is definitely not something I would use alone, like on top of ice cream, but a tablespoon of it in my coffee along with a tablespoon of 1/2 & 1/2 makes for a great cup of mocha

I'll definitely have to check and see if they have it at my local grocery store & give that a shot! Thanks for the tip!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Directed to OP. you may find adding HCI and pepsin to your diet, one capsule with each proper meal could help. Low or less than adequate stomach acid, could be contributory to many digestive problems. You should be able to find it at a health food store.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    it's funny that you posted this, my husband just recently gave up sugar and beer for 30 days. he said the beer he doesnt crave but the sugar is very tough. i gave it up for 8 months and i had one dessert and it was all over. so trying to give it up again and it's a bit easier this time. He's noticed huge improvement in energy, digestion, no more heartburn. and lost 15 lbs in the 30 days. He was a huge sweets with every meal and beer drinker. good luck to you. oh fyi, i gave sugar up and sub with brown rice and sweet potatoes, i was eventually able to give up the sweet potatoes, then the rice, but it was a process. almond butter at your desk. acv after dinner. there are tricks to it.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thinking should I just go sugar free this year. I'm all or nothing and I believe that won't change. I can go ages without it but once I have it I just want more. I don't want to continue fighting. Might be easier to remove it for good

Other way around for me...sugar - pffft.

Bourbon however - mmmmm
  • bubblebum82
    bubblebum82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice everyone. "Kitten" it, I'll be true to myself and do what I feel is necessary to help things. #determined
  • ChelsAlegriaSantiago
    Options
    Your body does not need either thankfully, but you can be addicted to either. Also, artificial sweeteners are not necessarily good for Diabetics, or anyone really. Some may be low on the glycemic index (some aren't so low) but spike the ish out of your insulin -- NOT good for Diabetics. Fructose, found in fruits, is NOT great for your body. Sugar is sugar is sugar is sugar. It's funny that we "need" sugar, because I've been running without eating it for quite a while (just 1 of several steps I've taken to control my insulin resistance...thanks, PCOS) and I feel better than ever.
  • bubblebum82
    bubblebum82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Coleen312
    Coleen312 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I, too, struggle with sugar!! It's awful. I feel worse after I eat it; like wanting to sleep for a week! Lol. I gave up alcohol 13 yrs ago and don't miss it at all. I'm currently trying to kick sugar to the curb. I can't have sugary things or I just want more. No fake sugar either. I guess I'm a sugar-aholic too. No moderation. I can't. Have. Any. (The best thing is not having sugar withdrawal headaches. Anyone else ever have those? They are the worst!)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I'll definitely have to check and see if they have it at my local grocery store & give that a shot! Thanks for the tip!

I find it along with the other ice cream toppings in my store.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I could say the same about homemade bread or salty things like potato chips and saltines.

Here how I moderate...

They don't come into my house in family size portions, one single serving and usually after or with a satisfying meal. Or I eat when going out to eat so I plan for them. I rarely eat them anymore but they are not restricted.

I only make homemade bread when family comes over so they help eat the loaf:).

But honestly you'll figure out what works just keep playing with different ways and if none work then maybe you will need to cut it out.

Personally I will one day have a family size bag of chips, saltines or homemade bread in my house because ultimately I will win:).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I truly believe sugar is one of the most (if not THE most) addictive substances in the world. It is hard to give up, I don't personally know anyone who has been successful at it.
    I think a gradual reduction in sugar (added sugar that is...) is the best approach. Just my opinion though, because it has worked for me over the last 4 months. I used to roughly have 140 grams of sugar a day (yikes!) to now 50-60 ish grams. Still not great, but a lot better and most of those grams are from natural sugar.

do you have any studies to back up this assertion???

• ndj1979
    Options
    I gave up sugar at the beginning of the year, lost 11.6kg. No junk food, nothing in a packet or a box, read the labels, they all have added sugar. I drink low carb beer or straight spirits with soda water, not everyday, read Sweet Poison, you will understand.

so you eat no bread, vegetables, fruit, etc???

• ndj1979
    Options
    Your body does not need either thankfully, but you can be addicted to either. Also, artificial sweeteners are not necessarily good for Diabetics, or anyone really. Some may be low on the glycemic index (some aren't so low) but spike the ish out of your insulin -- NOT good for Diabetics. Fructose, found in fruits, is NOT great for your body. Sugar is sugar is sugar is sugar. It's funny that we "need" sugar, because I've been running without eating it for quite a while (just 1 of several steps I've taken to control my insulin resistance...thanks, PCOS) and I feel better than ever.

so we are avoiding fruit now?

do you also avoid protein because insulin spikes?
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Simple answer, cause your body runs on sugar and is vital to life, unlike alcohol.

I duno, wine is pretty vital to my life.. ;)

I completely agree
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sugar is highly addictive. I know from personal experience. I cannot just eat it in moderation. The only way I could kill the beast was by totally giving it up. There is research (look it up yourself) that sugar lights up the same pleasure centers in the brain as cocaine and other addictive substances. Also, people report withdraw symptoms when they try to give it up. I don't know why others get so butt hurt over someone else's personal choices or experiences about giving up sugar. Eat it if you want, don't eat it if you decide that may be the best thing for you. My health has greatly improved since giving up sugar, so I have decided that is what is best for me. Good luck to the people trying to improve their health.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar is highly addictive. I know from personal experience. I cannot just eat it in moderation. The only way I could kill the beast was by totally giving it up. There is research (look it up yourself) that sugar lights up the same pleasure centers in the brain as cocaine and other addictive substances. Also, people report withdraw symptoms when they try to give it up. I don't know why others get so butt hurt over someone else's personal choices or experiences about giving up sugar. Eat it if you want, don't eat it if you decide that may be the best thing for you. My health has greatly improved since giving up sugar, so I have decided that is what is best for me. Good luck to the people trying to improve their health.

The wheels on the bus go round and round.
  • ndj1979
    Options

and we are back to the dopamine center argument. You realize that you get the same response from petting puppies in that area of your brain too, right?

sugar is not as addictive as cocaine and too even try and link the two is ridiculous and ludicrous..