Desk job people!

Options

Replies

• 46HealthyMe
    46HealthyMe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try and get up at least once an hour. I'll walk while I'm talking on the phone.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try to walk during my lunch hour as much as possible (just depends on weather). I also strive to workout every single day after work for at least 30-40 minutes (usually 60-90 on Saturday and Sundays).
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Not a problem getting in steps. My fitbit reminds me to get up and move every hour between 9 & 4. A trip around the office is about 260 steps. My daily step count is always between 15K & 20K. Walking is pretty much a part of my daily life.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I try to walk around campus at least twice during the day. Plus I schedule meetings in other people's offices which forces me to walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I primarily just focus on my deliberate exercise rather than being active all day...it's just not going to happen. That said, I do things like take the stairs, park further away from the office, park further away from other venues rather than looking for that "rock star" parking, I work on the third floor and usually use the first floor facilities and break room, etc.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    i don't... an average day is 6000 steps for me, which is fine.

I work out 5 x a week.

Same here. The sedentary desk job can't be helped so I work out first thing in the early morning before I go to work.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    i don't... an average day is 6000 steps for me, which is fine.

I work out 5 x a week.

Same here. The sedentary desk job can't be helped so I work out first thing in the early morning before I go to work.

Same. I hit ~5,000 before I'm out the door in the morning and have a daily goal of 8,000. Some days it takes a dog walk or more time on the treadmill.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    1) I purposely don't have a trash can or recycle bin at my desk. When I have something to discard I need to get up and walk across the office to the common trash can. 2) Like others here I use a Fitbit with HR monitor. Every morning before work I walk 3-4 miles, or approx 8k steps. Then, while at work, my FB alarm reminds me every hour to get up and walk. 3) On days that I have to go to the store (groceries) I park at the far end of the parking lot. Then I walk up and down every single aisle in the store, even if I need only one or two things, just for extra steps. Especially on rainy or cold days. By the end of the day, I typically have 13k to 17k steps under my belt.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I catch the bus into the city. I walk about 700 meters each end so nearly 3km in total. I also go for a walk at lunch, get some air. That and a 3 hour ride on my horse on the weekends is plenty of exercise for me.
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk at work now which is amazing and a huge help!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    3) On days that I have to go to the store (groceries) I park at the far end of the parking lot. Then I walk up and down every single aisle in the store, even if I need only one or two things, just for extra steps.

Hah! I do this too. I find the farthest most remote parking spot possible. Pisses my wife off most days. She's one of those 'cruise the parking lot for 20 minutes to find a closer space' people. I'd have already been in the store shopping for 18 of those 20 minutes even walking from that far. ;)

• tonyanoemy111
    tonyanoemy111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fitbit reminds me to get up and move! taking the long way to the bathroom, or just to walk around the room. On the nice days, I will go outside and just walk down the sidewalk and back. it really only takes 3 min, but getting outside and moving helps a lot :)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I don't really. I just sit around like a lump. I get up to make coffee, stretch, eat, etc. The reflection of the work day though is that I exercise roughly 2 hours after wards.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    If I'm busy at work I am not able to be active until later in the day. If things are slow I will try to get some steps in, but mostly I get my activity in when I am not at work.
  • bpyrda
    bpyrda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit and I try to get up and go for a walk when the red bars start popping up. I also don't like the taste of the water on my floor so when I need to refill my water bottle I go 5 floors up to the fitness center to refill from the water cooler. The nice thing about having the fitness center is I get to do a group class at lunch so even on days I'm busy and am stuck at my desk all day I at least have that.

I also park in a cheaper garage that is a 10 minute walk to work so I get that twice a day.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I take the stairs instead of the elevator.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    1) I have a fitbit blaze that reminds me every hour if I haven't taken 250 steps yet. This seems to help my knees as well because they seem to be locking up less as I move more often. Before that I set an alarm on my phone once an hour to just remind me to get up and move.
    2) I started using a restroom in the building next door.
    3) I walk on my lunch break to hit my 8000 step goal by 1:30. Everything above that is gravy.
    4) I take the stairs more often.
    5) When I am called to the next building over I find a way to do at least a half lap around whatever floor I have to go to.
    6) Deliberate exercise--boxing, swimming, lifting, biking, walking with my family.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I park far away from the building, always take stairs, I get up and talk to people in the office rather than send email (and then only as confirmation), drink constantly. I get up and move every hour - have a Flex 2 to help remind me. I eat at my desk and workout at the gym in our building. On teleconferences I went mobile and take walks if I don't need to be online at the time. I also changed many of our staff meetings to working walks.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We get two 15 minute breaks a day -- I can't always do anything for the first one, but I usually walk with a coworker for my second one.

I walk on my lunch break. My work area has a lot of walking space and sidewalks, and I live in Florida (nice weather!) -- if you don't have that setup, I know a lot of people who walk around our local mall. The most I was able to do in one lunch break was 3 miles. I microwave my food and eat at my desk when I get back or beforetime.
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My office mate and I have taken to deskercising! We have flash cards in different colors for arms, legs, back, core, etc, and on the other side different reps (we looked online and found some ideas really easily), and every hour we pick from a different category and different activity. None take more than 2-3 minutes. Our office environment isn't super lax but no one minds this occasional "stretch break." Obviously doesn't replace a workout or a lap around the building but it does get you on your feet throughout the work day!