Hula Hoopers Unite!

Options

Replies

• hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would like to join you hoopers in awesomeness! I tried with a cheapie hoop and found out I need a bigger weighted one. If you start a group please let me know!

I'd eventually like to start a challenge but trying to find more hoopers willing to partake in it. :smile:

I was also informed that there is a group for hula hoopers already...here is the link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

It's not active at the moment. Maybe we can turn that around.

I've found you on there...I've sent a message to the moderator to see if they are still around otherwise we might need to ask for the permission to take over the group
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I would like to join you hoopers in awesomeness! I tried with a cheapie hoop and found out I need a bigger weighted one. If you start a group please let me know!

I'd eventually like to start a challenge but trying to find more hoopers willing to partake in it. :smile:

I was also informed that there is a group for hula hoopers already...here is the link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

It's not active at the moment. Maybe we can turn that around.

I've found you on there...I've sent a message to the moderator to see if they are still around otherwise we might need to ask for the permission to take over the group

Sounds good. :) Hopefully we can get that group active again... if not maybe start our own? I have never started a group before and still new to this site. I am glad we are having more and more activity on here. It's awesome!!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Today I was strictly hooping. I used my weighted hoop. 30 mins- 329 calories burned.

Just out of curiosity...

How many of you can walk around the room or outside while hula hooping? I know it can be a challenge for some. We can help get you there though. I could barely keep my weighted hoop up when I first started. I just had to learn the right moves and what worked for me. Now I am all over the place. :D

Today's challenge.... try hooping in the opposite direction you usually hoop in. you will feel it!

• RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I hoop at home, I use a non-weighted hoop from Hoopnotica. Before that I used a much larger, slightly heavier hoop that was handmade by my friend who is a profesh hoop dancer. I've been doing the basics for over four years now - basics for me anyways. I turn circles in both directions, bounce from foot to foot, and do a bit of walking back and forth while hooping. That's about the extent of my skills. I keep saying "one of these days" I'm going to actually start learning some fancy tricks. Shrugs, we'll see. I like it and I'm looking forward to summer and hooping outside.
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    I've done a bit of hula hooping, and would love to do more! It's a lot of fun and definitely a killer exercise. I'd really like to learn a few new moves if anyone has any youtube suggestions.

There are tons of hooping videos on youtube. I would suggest subscribing to Deanne Love she has a TON of great videos. I included her youtube channel link here in this thread already. :)
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    I hoop at home, I use a non-weighted hoop from Hoopnotica. Before that I used a much larger, slightly heavier hoop that was handmade by my friend who is a profesh hoop dancer. I've been doing the basics for over four years now, and keep saying "one of these days" I'm going to actually start learning some fancy tricks. Shrugs, we'll see. I like it and I'm looking forward to summer and hooping outside.

It's ok. I am not good with any of the fancy tricks either. I need to get a better hoop for that. The great think about hula hooping is that there is no wrong way to do it. Just get out there and move them hips. :)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time since I was a child last year at my doTERRA Tribe Retreat. My diamond leader is big into hooping, so she brought about 40 hoops to the park where we had a big picnic, and everyone was taking turns at it. So much fun!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    That sounds like a blast! I wish I could have been there. I am glad you had a good time!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I love hula hooping. I started years ago with a weighted hoop. Now I just use a kid's hoop or my bamboo hoop. I have them stashed all over the house and work, so I can just grab it and work out the kinks. Sometimes I will throw a movie on and go the entire time.
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    6c25c76608443985e17e932f16141560.jpgHooping-Benefits_no_BG-e1406857502823.png
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, you are my people! I just started hooping, like last week, and I LOVE it!!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Woohoo, you are my people! I just started hooping, like last week, and I LOVE it!!

That is awesome!! Welcome aboard. I'm so happy you have join us. :smiley:

bear.gif
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Heyyyyy, I have a weighted hula hoop thats multicolored and love it! I haven't used it in awhile but let me know updates if you are gonna start a group or something!! Thx
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Question....

If I started a Hula hoop challenge for the month of March would anyone be interested in joining the challenge?
    It would consist of hula hooping every day for the entire month.

My goal is at least 30 mins a day.

I would encourage everyone to take tape measurements of their hips, and waist prior to starting the challenge. Retake those measurements at the end of the month. If you have been hooping regularly you will be amazed at the difference. It seriously whittles your middle.... bye bye love handles!!

So.... who's with me? Any takers?
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    how do you learn how to hoop? i tried it when i was a kid a few times but not with real effort. is it just youtube? can anyone do it? even awkward people?

giphy.gif
    me irl
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    Here are some good tips for beginners. This is Deanne Love and she has a ton of great videos and tutorials on youtube.

http://www.wikihow.com/Hula-Hoop
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love you for posting this! I haven't been into hooping for a while, but the newest Britney Spears album makes me want to dust off my hoop!
  • ValleyHooper
    Options
    dmmfox wrote: »
    Love you for posting this! I haven't been into hooping for a while, but the newest Britney Spears album makes me want to dust off my hoop!

I was hooping to Britney earlier this morning! Grab that hoop and let's do this! ;)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm in for March - but like 10 minutes a day as I'm a newbie with newbie bruises on my hips yet!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    how do you learn how to hoop? i tried it when i was a kid a few times but not with real effort. is it just youtube? can anyone do it? even awkward people?

giphy.gif
    me irl

It took me two weeks to be able to waist hoop for ten minutes straight in each direction. But I didnt burn as many calories once I wasnt leaning over to pick up the hoop every few seconds.