Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Nutrition

2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »
    mendozarm9 wrote: »
    Yeah 10% exercise

I would think a fitness goal would be a lot more than 10% exercise. So if your fitness goal is to run a marathon, 90% of your prep is your food choice? I feel like that's going to be a slow marathon.

He's not really talking fitness though. He later says he's talking about a certain "look". It's more about aesthetics than performance.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Yeah 10% exercise

I would think a fitness goal would be a lot more than 10% exercise. So if your fitness goal is to run a marathon, 90% of your prep is your food choice? I feel like that's going to be a slow marathon.

He's not really talking fitness though. He later says he's talking about a certain "look". It's more about aesthetics than performance.

Well then I would say if it's a physical appearance thing it is 100% subjective. Somebody might be perfectly fine with losing or gaining weight with just diet, and love the body that gets them. Somebody else might not. I have this weird thing, where I like my weight lower, but don't like the look of my skin on my stomach when that happens, so I will gain some weight, and then hate the weight I'm at!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Yeah 10% exercise

Well then I would say if it's a physical appearance thing it is 100% subjective. Somebody might be perfectly fine with losing or gaining weight with just diet, and love the body that gets them. Somebody else might not. I have this weird thing, where I like my weight lower, but don't like the look of my skin on my stomach when that happens, so I will gain some weight, and then hate the weight I'm at!

Have you tried gaining muscle to help fill in that skin? I often see complaints from underweight people with the issue, and it's driven by poor body composition.. particularly in that area.

Note: not suggesting you are underweight.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Yeah 10% exercise

Have you tried gaining muscle to help fill in that skin? I often see complaints from underweight people with the issue, and it's driven by poor body composition.. particularly in that area.

Note: not suggesting you are underweight.

Oh believe me, I'm trying to fill it in with muscle haha, I mean I definitely not a small person, I started here at 315, and got down to 240, but have found I feel better at 260. When I first lost the weight, it was all through diet, and running, then I got back into the gym for a year, then backout of the gym for a year and a half, and now, I'm back again for the past year, not where I want to be strength wise, but definitely getting there all while still trying to keep up with my running.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm not going to get the body I want by nutrition. I don't think anyone does.

It depends. I'm very happy with my body/how I look and I don't do any sort of intentional exercise (besides my day to day activities). I have a bmi of 20.7 (going from this morning's weigh-in), look good in my size 4 jeans and look fine in the buff as well lol. I just focus on my calorie intake and then eating a varied diet of all the foods I like. I have no desire to change anything about my appearance and I'm pleased with how good I do look, for being a 38 year old mom of three kids who's lost a lot of weight :) I've gotten the body I want (and the desired health markers/blood work results), just by focusing on my calorie intake and then eating a wide range of foods.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    My mom went from about 250 to 160 and never looked any different, body wise, just smaller. Same goes for my sister and me ... we can be up or down in weight but look the same cause of how our body composition is. So ... for losing weight, it's all about calories (nutrition) but for toning to change proportions ... If it will be done, it will be done via exercise to enhance musculature.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm not going to get the body I want by nutrition. I don't think anyone does.

It depends. I'm very happy with my body/how I look and I don't do any sort of intentional exercise (besides my day to day activities). I have a bmi of 20.7 (going from this morning's weigh-in), look good in my size 4 jeans and look fine in the buff as well lol. I just focus on my calorie intake and then eating a varied diet of all the foods I like. I have no desire to change anything about my appearance and I'm pleased with how good I do look, for being a 38 year old mom of three kids who's lost a lot of weight :) I've gotten the body I want (and the desired health markers/blood work results), just by focusing on my calorie intake and then eating a wide range of foods.

How I envy you. I wish my health was as positively affected by weight loss as yours is/was. No, I'm stuck with my father's crappy genetics (which I'll take over my mom's because I have a fear of needles).
  • fizzie5
    fizzie5 Posts: 14 Member
    The amount of times I have been asked about nutrition iI always ask "what did you have for breakfast" just about all say the don't bother with breakfast!
    Break-fast is what it is.
    A balance of protein carbs and fats throughout the day is a way of life for many that have trained and kept themselves in shape.
    Its not something to fret about positive nutrition is key
    As is excersise
    The main one that may lose sight of is rest.
    Id say across the board it's 60% nutrition 10% training 30% rest that's how Ive always equated it.
    I must say that when I was younger I had more of an eye for detail where as now getting on in years the only thing I fret about is waking up in a morning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Personally - JMO - I think it's a pretty baby-feline silly question: You're trying to quantify abstractions. Why is that useful, even metaphorically?

If fitness is your only or predominant goal, you're probably gonna have to optimize both nutrition and fitness programming, not to mention sleep/rest, and back-burner most anything else (except maybe gainful employment to fund the enterprise, unless you're independently wealthy, or have a sugar momma).

I see the point of fitness, I see the point of nutrition, but quantifying the abstractions' relationships? How is that helpful to accomplishing your goals? In my world, it's tail-chasing.

Well, you did ask for opinions. That's mine. Li'l ol' lady's got a million of 'em. ;)
  • nahtilly
    nahtilly Posts: 5 Member
    otals 1,102 58 49 113 1,828 21
    Your Daily Goal 2,654 200 104 232 2,300 25
    Remaining 1,552 142 55 119 472 4
    Calories
    kcal
    Carbs
    g
    Fat
    g
    Protein
    g
    Sodium
    mg
    Fiber
    g
    *You've earned 1,354 extra calories from exercise today

Do you think is it too much caloric defict for maintaining weight ?