Best Running Shoes

I'm looking to get new sneakers and looking for recommendations. I'm not a big runner but I do treadmill time every day and I'd like shoes that can handle the milage.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Get gait analysis. It doesn't matter what running shoes work for me, I don't have your feet/gait/body
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    The best shoe for you could be the worst shoe for me. The best running shoes are the ones that work best for you. Go to a local running specialty store and have them do an analysis on you for the proper shoe. Not a "big box" store.. A running specialty store who will take the time necessary to help you.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

/thread
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I'm the contrarian here. I started running last year by going to Model's and buying a pair that felt good and that I could afford. They have been fine. (I'm still not a great runner!)

Now, I wouldn't object to talking to someone at a dedicated running store (like Marathon Sports), if it wasn't too far out of my way. I took my son there, in fact. He has a high arch and was running on a cross country team. He needed shoes and inserts. Still: the service wasn't that much different than the person asking "how do they feel?"

If they are your first ever running shoes, you won't have any reference point anyway. One of the big pieces of data is the wear pattern on your running shoes. It takes a number of miles before you even get any wear on running shoes!

I know, I'm asking for it with this one...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'm looking to get new sneakers and looking for recommendations. I'm not a big runner but I do treadmill time every day and I'd like shoes that can handle the milage.

The best shoes for you depend on you, your running style, personal preferences. The shoes I use could be completely unsuitable for you.

I'm also not a particular adherent of gait analysis. It has a purpose, for some.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    A good running store will look at the way you walk and run to see if you pronate or supinate or if your feet have high arches or high volume. They will ask what kind of running you are doing and how many miles. Someone who is running trails needs different shoes from someone running on streets or on a track and someone who is racing a lot might want a lighter shoe than someone who is just running 3 or 4 easy miles for exercise. A marathoner might want different shoes from someone walking on a TM. So yes, going to the right store can be helpful. Getting the wrong shoes can lead to injury and is usually one of the first things to look at when people start complaining about shin or foot pain.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    There is no right shoe as others have said. And even for one person you'd want something different to do road races, or trail running, or obstacle races as others have said too.

I have gone to a running store and gotten the gait analysis done and I have pretty average feet (no weird pronation, no arch problems, etc) so I can pretty much pick anything. I wore Asics for the longest time and then switched to New Balance when I found out they are the only major shoe company that makes (at least some models) in the USA.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    If you're near a running store that does a gait analysis then that's your best bet. Personally I like Asics for running indoors and Salomon for trail running. Then for casual sneakers it runs the gamut (Adidas, Puma, New Balance, etc.) But that's very specific to me. You might find a totally different brand that works best for you.

If you're not near a running store then go and try on a bunch of shoes at the end of the day when your feet are nice and swollen. Make sure to bring the running socks you plan on wearing. Find a pair of shoes that are comfortable. Keep in mind that depending on how often you run you'll be replacing these shoes somewhat regularly since the cushioning will degrade with use. I used to wear mine 3-4 days a week and replaced them every 6 months. Other people replace their shoes based on the number of miles you run in them.