Organic? Genetically modified food?

Options

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I always buy organic milk and yes I prefer to buy mostly organic and/or local meats and veggies. But I think that conventional and organic choices should be available so that people can make their own choices. GMO weirds me out
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Yes i buy organic. Especially fruits and vegetables. We do have our own garden and don't tend to use pesticides unless we have to.
    And yes i read labels, and stay away from modified anything if i can.
    Why? Because i care about my health. I'm trying to lose weight, which means i'm trying to overall be healthier. And that translates to me eating food that doesn't destroy my health. Plus organic tends to taste better...

What exactly do genetically modified ingredients do to destroy your health?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Organic food is fertilized with poop. Just sayin'
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yes i buy organic. Especially fruits and vegetables. We do have our own garden and don't tend to use pesticides unless we have to.
    Why? Because i care about my health. I'm trying to lose weight, which means i'm trying to overall be healthier. And that translates to me eating food that doesn't destroy my health. Plus organic tends to taste better...

I understand most people think the "organic" is a ploy, and it is to a certain extent. But organic means what we're eating is more natural. Organic meat = animals (cows) need to be on a rotation. Meaning the animals aren't sat in a padlock all their lives. Ever notice the seal for animal welfare on most organic products? I look for those above all else, personally.

I also lost the extra weight because I care about my health (I needed to normalize a high glucose number), and the modified/non-organic food I eat doesn't 'destroy' my health- I'm actually in excellent health now and have consistent good feedback from my doctor/tests.

I'm genuinely curious what you think tastes better organic? I've had organic products before and I've never tasted a difference. I do notice a color/size difference with the free range eggs I get, (from a relative who raises chickens as a hobby), but they taste the same as the ones I occasionally buy at the store.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I understand most people think the "organic" is a ploy, and it is to a certain extent. But organic means what we're eating is more natural. Organic meat = animals (cows) need to be on a rotation. Meaning the animals aren't sat in a padlock all their lives. Ever notice the seal for animal welfare on most organic products? I look for those above all else, personally.

I also lost the extra weight because I care about my health (I needed to normalize a high glucose number), and the modified/non-organic food I eat doesn't 'destroy' my health- I'm actually in excellent health now and have consistent good feedback from my doctor/tests.

I'm genuinely curious what you think tastes better organic? I've had organic products before and I've never tasted a difference. I do notice a color/size difference with the free range eggs I get, (from a relative who raises chickens as a hobby), but they taste the same as the ones I occasionally buy at the store.

Cereal is something i think taste better. The "simply" ones are something i find yummy. Hot chocolate/syrup. The milk, but i buy that locally and it has a rich taste, not bland. My eggs are better, you can see the difference.

I find it so funny with all the hate, though. You guys either must not do research or really live in a hole. Organic where i came from was just "food". But whatever floats your boat. You can't deny the chemicals in everyday food. McDonalds even had a FQ on why their food doesn't mold. Or why twinkies are stay good. I personally did my own research and came to the conclusion i didn't want to eat certain foods, i guess "i" deem them as unhealthy, were as a majority here think i'm bat crazy. For my health and environment/animal welfare i don't mind using organic and more "natural" products. I will gracefully bow out now, i didn't imagine my statement would cause this much of an uproar.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Genetically modified food has not been proven safe by any one who does not have a vested interest in the GMO market. I do check all labels and if in doubt I leave it on the shelf. I have found that a lot of organic or non-GMO food is becoming more common and more affordable. You just have to shop around.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you happy to pay more for organic food?

Happy to pay more? No. And I don't care about organic and buy conventional in the supermarket. I do care about local and supporting small farmers (just a personal thing plus a taste thing) so during the season I subscribe to a farm share (that happens to be an organic farm) and supplement a lot from a local green market that sells basically organics (we have a bunch of different certifications so it's a bit more complicated). I don't mind paying more for taste and my particular preferences/principles and to support ways of providing produce that I am happy are available, but I can afford it and know this is a luxury. If I had a tighter budget I would probably find a cheaper source of vegetables and not worry about organics. (You can use food stamps at farmers markets where I am, as an aside.)
    Do you avoid foods that are genetically modified?

No, although from my knowledge of what foods are I suspect I don't eat a lot of them. I don't care at all, though. GMOs don't bother me a bit. On the other hand, I'm a fan of keeping as diverse a selection of produce as possible, and support efforts to concentrate/sell lots of varieties that may be harder to market long-distance but taste great. I think that's an important alternative to the various GMOs (for foodie reasons and perhaps environmental, not because I think GMOs are bad for us).
    I'm not in the US, and I found a place that sold imported American foods. I was amazed at how many foods had genetically modified ingredients in them. I have family in the US and they pretty much buy organic all the time but they are rich...

You mean packaged stuff? I don't eat a lot of premade/packaged stuff, I guess.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Cereal is something i think taste better. The "simply" ones are something i find yummy. Hot chocolate/syrup. The milk, but i buy that locally and it has a rich taste, not bland. My eggs are better, you can see the difference.

I find it so funny with all the hate, though. You guys either must not do research or really live in a hole. Organic where i came from was just "food". But whatever floats your boat. You can't deny the chemicals in everyday food. McDonalds even had a FQ on why their food doesn't mold. Or why twinkies are stay good. I personally did my own research and came to the conclusion i didn't want to eat certain foods, i guess "i" deem them as unhealthy, were as a majority here think i'm bat crazy. For my health and environment/animal welfare i don't mind using organic and more "natural" products. I will gracefully bow out now, i didn't imagine my statement would cause this much of an uproar.

If you are in the US and care about animal welfare, organic is far from the best way to express that concern. I'd buy from local farms where you know the practices or, in the alternative, research welfare or a system like WF does, maybe. There are huge industrial "organic" producers in the US. (Probably elsewhere too, but I know more about it here.)
  • jruck371
    jruck371 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If you are in the US and care about animal welfare, organic is far from the best way to express that concern. I'd buy from local farms where you know the practices or, in the alternative, research welfare or a system like WF does, maybe. There are huge industrial "organic" producers in the US. (Probably elsewhere too, but I know more about it here.)

Actually, this is incorrect.. sorry to burst your organic loving bubble:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/07/25/organic-vs-conventional-farming-lower-environmental-impact/

Id agree that buying from Local farms is best- but it is also not sustainable for the entire population to subsist on.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jruck371 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Actually, this is incorrect.. sorry to burst your organic loving bubble:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/07/25/organic-vs-conventional-farming-lower-environmental-impact/

Id agree that buying from Local farms is best- but it is also not sustainable for the entire population to subsist on.

Did you misread my post? How am I "organic loving"? (I am not anti or pro organic, see my first post. When I buy in a supermarket I buy conventional unless the organic looks fresher or otherwise better sufficiently to justify the cost difference.)

I looked at your links and basically agree with them, but fail to see how they make my comment that you quoted "incorrect" -- again, that comment was that buying organic is NOT the best way to address a concern with animal welfare.