100 plus pounds to lose.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Saiosyn wrote: »
    I'm following this plan because it's worked before. Till I went through depression. I refused to eat anything and when I did it was the worst choices. Not only did it work for me, it's worked for several people I know. and the diet is 1500 calories or lower, which is actually quite a good amount. It just restricts how much of a certain group I can have. Sounds worse than it is, but it worked for me, friends, and family. I'm not stuck eating foods I don't like either. I love the food I make. The only difference between this and just calorie counting in general, is it focuses on the things your body needs over the whole food pyramid. Just limits them. Though I have added string cheese to the diet, it's helped when I wanted something cheesy. ^.^

Ok, but you need a plan that you can follow when you are depressed, not just while everything in life is aligned (they almost never are). I even suspect following a restrictive diet contributes to bad mental health. Of course you'll make bad choices after you've deprived yourself. 1500 calories or lower is a good amount if it's right for you. You are bigger and need more food, and you can also lose at a very good rate wile eating more. Did you know that you can eat healthily even while counting calories, that the two aren't mutually exclusive? And that giving yourself freedom to make your own choices, based on your own needs and preferences, increases your willingness to eat less? And that when you count calories, and prelog, you have better control over the amount of cheese - and any other food - so that you more easily can stick to your allotted calories? Sticking to a calorie deficit is all you have to do to lose weight, but it's also something you have to do to lose weight. Eating less, day in and day out, for months, maybe years, is hard; if you want to succeed, you can't afford to make it harder than it has to be.
  • Saiosyn
    Saiosyn Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2017
    Saiosyn wrote: »
    I'm following this plan because it's worked before. Till I went through depression. I refused to eat anything and when I did it was the worst choices. Not only did it work for me, it's worked for several people I know. and the diet is 1500 calories or lower, which is actually quite a good amount. It just restricts how much of a certain group I can have. Sounds worse than it is, but it worked for me, friends, and family. I'm not stuck eating foods I don't like either. I love the food I make. The only difference between this and just calorie counting in general, is it focuses on the things your body needs over the whole food pyramid. Just limits them. Though I have added string cheese to the diet, it's helped when I wanted something cheesy. ^.^

Ok, but you need a plan that you can follow when you are depressed, not just while everything in life is aligned (they almost never are). I even suspect following a restrictive diet contributes to bad mental health. Of course you'll make bad choices after you've deprived yourself. 1500 calories or lower is a good amount if it's right for you. You are bigger and need more food, and you can also lose at a very good rate wile eating more. Did you know that you can eat healthily even while counting calories, that the two aren't mutually exclusive? And that giving yourself freedom to make your own choices, based on your own needs and preferences, increases your willingness to eat less? And that when you count calories, and prelog, you have better control over the amount of cheese - and any other food - so that you more easily can stick to your allotted calories? Sticking to a calorie deficit is all you have to do to lose weight, but it's also something you have to do to lose weight. Eating less, day in and day out, for months, maybe years, is hard; if you want to succeed, you can't afford to make it harder than it has to be.

Following any diet at the lvl of depression I was in, would be a miracle in itself. But I'm not here to talk about that. No need to be bashing on my choice of diet either. The whole point of this site is to support each other and record data to make like a bit easier. If my diet was failing me, of course I'd expect someone to change my mind or help me figure out a new plan. No offence to you and your opinions, but not everybody's diet has to be the same. As I stated before, this works for me. I don't eat a huge amount of food to begin with and I'm not depriving my body of anything nor am I starving myself. If I still felt hungry, sure I'd rethink my choices. And yes I complained about not eating as much dairy as I would like, but I ate an unhealthy amount of dairy. And I'm even adding in a few more dairy products to boost my cal intake if needed and curve my dairy cravings. All this diet does is make sure I'm eating correct food groups. While staying in 1500 cal limit, just as this site suggests I do to loose 2lb a week anyway. But thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas, perhaps if this diet fails me I'll switch things up a bit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I guess we just don't have the same understanding of words like choice, support, easy, failure, working, deprivation, healthy diet - and that's okay. I wish you all the best in your endeavour.
  • Saiosyn
    And that's okay. What works for me may not work for others. And what works for others may not work for me. I found something that works and I like it. I have my slip ups and cravings. But that's normal. If it's working and I'm happy with it and what it's doing, I don't see why I should switch. Not yet anyway ^.^
  • barg06
    barg06 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I would love to join this group. I need to lose 100 pounds. Have lost 20 already, but that took a few months. I am a junk food junkie! I am trying to make better choices but fail a lot.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi barg, welcome to MFP!

As you read the advice in the various threads, the recurring theme is to start by diligently tracking everything you eat/drink. If you don't have a food/postal scale, pick one up. Tracking what you eat will build your awareness and cut the urge for junk food. I love Doritos, but haven't bought them since the day I had to log 1400 calories because I scarfed the whole bag I picked up when I got gas. I used to get fast food several times a week, now it's maybe x1 every 2-3 weeks.
  • jus4ninny
    jus4ninny Posts: 19 Member
    Hello! May I join this group? I have a total of 105 lbs to give away! (I stopped saying lose, because there is a hidden connotation that I want it back. I want it gone for good!) Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I am new to joining a community but believe the support might help me be successful!
  • ehabyounes
    ehabyounes Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, may I join this group. I started my journey feb 1st, targeting 30 KG by July. The support will definitely help
  • jus4ninny
    I am new to this. What does member after a person's name mean?
  • TattooedAries
    TattooedAries Posts: 20 Member
    I set my first big goal to 70 lbs to lose bc 100 seemed so overwhelming but I would love to lose a 100 lbs. I'm down 14 now and on my way. Add me :)
  • Saiosyn
    Sure to add yourself to the group just search Let's Lose it: 100+lbs and you should see it. All are more than welcome. And same here. This is the heaviest I've ever been, so I understand that feeling.
  • aema22
    aema22 Posts: 6 Member
    How to add myseld in the group?
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    My goal is to lose 150 pounds so far I have lost 10 in a month with another weigh in tomarrow! Feel free to add!
  • jus4ninny
    I just read an inspiring article about the impact of losing 15% of your weight. It was amazing to learn of the positive changes it will make to your health. I wanted to include a link but couldn't find one. It was titled "What A Difference 15% Can Make!" written by Dr. Yasmin Ali. If you want to read it and can't find it, message me and I will forward it to you. When you look at the numbers 15% is a smaller number and a easier to reach. :)
  • lizcomeback86
    lizcomeback86 Posts: 17 Member
    I too need to loose about 100 pounds, your all more than welcome to add me :)
  • jus4ninny
    I find myself in a quandary. One doctor says I need to eat a low cholesterol low fat diet. The other doctor said I should eat a low carb diet. So that means I'm eating low fat, low carb, low cholesterol. I have no clue? I know I don't feel good. Any words of wisdom?
  • lucielucie77
    lucielucie77 Posts: 3 Member
    add me to that! I am new, and need 100 gone too!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    jus4ninny wrote: »
    I find myself in a quandary. One doctor says I need to eat a low cholesterol low fat diet. The other doctor said I should eat a low carb diet. So that means I'm eating low fat, low carb, low cholesterol. I have no clue? I know I don't feel good. Any words of wisdom?

Tell both doctors to get stuffed?

Is there a medical reason, other than your weight, to be on a restricted diet? High cholesterol or diabetes or something? If there is, then yeah, you will need to restrict certain foods. But if not, then your doctors are just falling into the media hype of one diet over another and really, should not be giving that advice.

The diet fads come and go but the only real way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. If you need some way to get to that, then you can chose to restrict some foods, but a lot of people lose weight just fine by eating what they have always eaten, just less of it.

About the only thing I've cut out completely is pop. Down ~ 70 lbs.
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    I have been following my plan since Dec 2015, so 14 months. I have lost half now and working on the 2nd 50 lbs. I aim for a balance in everything. My Dr. does not worry too much about fats so I eat healthy fats, however, they are caloric so I don't temp fate. I eat light cream in my tea, occasional 18% cream at a restaurant, and I eat yogurt, also some occasional cheese. As long as it fits into my calories for the day I do ok. For me, sweets really slow down the weight loss. I have a weakness for pies and chocolate. We all have something. I aim for portion control and target daily calories. I eat lots of vegetables and daily fruits, like bananas and apples. The apples really satisfy as they take work to eat. Also raw carrots are nice and crunchy. Good luck everyone.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    add me to that! I am new, and need 100 gone too!

Saiosyn set up a group for us 100+ 'loser wannabees', but you'll have to add yourself ;)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/119238-lets-lose-it-100-lbs