Vegetables out of a bag unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I haven't had frozen veggies in 15 years. Have they gotten any better? My mom always bought frozen and they were limp and soggy.

Most all frozen fruit and veg are flash frozen now, but cooking method plays a huge factor in whether or not frozen veg ends up limp or soggy. Very high heat stir frying, for example, results in frozen veg that maintains its crispness.

Exactly. Sounds like your mom just overcooked them. My mom does that with fresh green beans. Cooks them to mush and thinks they're great.

Blaahhh i bet plenty of adults won't eat veggies because of the way their parents cooked them when they were young, and they assume that's what vegetables are meant to be like. Boiled to death veggies taste terrible, and so do canned veggies, if this is what they were fed growing up, I can't blame them for disliking them.

That's me. I hated broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and beets for this very reason.

I love those now that I've had them roasted properly. Heck, I'd probably consider Brussels sprouts one of my favorites.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ^ I knew some smartass would do that!

Girlshakingfist.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    coachzing wrote: »
    Frozen veggies are not bad. In fact they are ripe when they are frozen. Fresh veggies from the produce are actually picked early then gassed to speed up ripening. The frozen veggies with added sugar and sauce you want to avoid.

why?

Well a lot of those frozen vegetables with sauces and seasonings and such tend to have more fat, calories, and sodium than you are looking for.

However, I freakin' love them. They are tasty, quick, and make *meh* vegetables something much more exciting. And just because it has a sauce or seasoning does not mean suddenly they are unhealthy. Of course you need to check the nutritional values and do what works on your diet. And yes, some of them have artificial ingredients. But quick, tasty, and something my family eats instead of push around on the dinner plate? Bring it on!

Is that really the case? Today for lunch I have prelogged a double serving of green giant steamers healthy weight veggies (carrots, snap peas, black beans and edamame) in butter sauce to go with my leftover blackened salmon. Super easy, pretty tasty, and very filling. The double serving even with sauce has 180 cals, 5 g of fat and 440 mg of sodium. Works well for me.

I'm guessing it depends on what type of sauce- I tried one once and it was SO much effing sauce- like mostly sauce and a little veggie. so gross. But it was a heavier cream type sauce- I stick to the regular steamables and then add a little butter and salt and pepper on top.

also commenting to help move it along and roll it over.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    still hasn't happened.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    still hasn't happened.

How bout now?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    still hasn't happened.

How bout now?

Nope.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I am soooooooo tempted to wait until this gets to page 4 and then quote that pic.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I'm not that big a DB, though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are not bad. In fact they are ripe when they are frozen. Fresh veggies from the produce are actually picked early then gassed to speed up ripening. The frozen veggies with added sugar and sauce you want to avoid.

why?

Well a lot of those frozen vegetables with sauces and seasonings and such tend to have more fat, calories, and sodium than you are looking for.

However, I freakin' love them. They are tasty, quick, and make *meh* vegetables something much more exciting. And just because it has a sauce or seasoning does not mean suddenly they are unhealthy. Of course you need to check the nutritional values and do what works on your diet. And yes, some of them have artificial ingredients. But quick, tasty, and something my family eats instead of push around on the dinner plate? Bring it on!

Is that really the case? Today for lunch I have prelogged a double serving of green giant steamers healthy weight veggies (carrots, snap peas, black beans and edamame) in butter sauce to go with my leftover blackened salmon. Super easy, pretty tasty, and very filling. The double serving even with sauce has 180 cals, 5 g of fat and 440 mg of sodium. Works well for me.

I love those varieties. "Healthy vision" is my favorite. (I don't care about the gimmicky claims on the package. I'm just after the flavors and easy prep). I don't known what black magic they're using to make "butter sauce" etc. but it's much lower in calories than it would be if I added my own butter and sauces.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

why?

I love those varieties. "Healthy vision" is my favorite. (I don't care about the gimmicky claims on the package. I'm just after the flavors and easy prep). I don't known what black magic they're using to make "butter sauce" etc. but it's much lower in calories than it would be if I added my own butter and sauces.

I like Healthy Vision and Healthy Weight the best. Healthy Vision (zucchini, carrots, green beans in a rosemary butter sauce) is great over pasta (or zoodles) with a little sauteed chicken or shrimp. I eat the whole box and that one is only 90 calories! That meal is less than 400 cals usually.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thank god this finally rolled to the next page!

Speaking of rolling.... how many MFP oldtimers remember when threads couldn't go more than 20 pages and then they rolled to a new one - so everyone would count down until the final post on that thread and try to be the one who rolled it? Good times...

in...for the roll...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Thank god this finally rolled to the next page!

Speaking of rolling.... how many MFP oldtimers remember when threads couldn't go more than 20 pages and then they rolled to a new one - so everyone would count down until the final post on that thread and try to be the one who rolled it? Good times...

in...for the roll...

rickroll!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I... packaged veggies not healthy???... I...

You'll pry Birdseye Steamfresh veggies from my cold, dead hands. If you find just the right time to nuke them, they are just about as tasty as fresh. I adore the baby broccoli blend.

Not sure if the protein blends will work for you, b/c they probably aren't GF, but they are really tasty as well. I make a bag of those with sauteed chicken or shrimp a couple nights a week. On nights when I'm only cooking for myself, these bags/boxes of frozen veggies are perfect for me. Too bad they aren't healthy.... (eyeroll)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

It's MFP.... someone's got to do it! :laugh:
  • TR0berts
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

It's MFP.... someone's got to do it! :laugh:

Good news! Those two posts of mine are what caused the next post to be page 4!
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I found a slug in my frozen raspberries once. Found it with my mouth.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I found a slug in my frozen raspberries once. Found it with my mouth.

79xrzkqqgxno.gif