Options

Replies

• DazzaGainz
    DazzaGainz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well, you said you're doing SL 5x5.

But, you also said you're lifting weights 4x/week.

SL 5x5 is a 3x/week program, unless you modify it a bit.

That's exactly what I was going to ask.

I do a random day for my chest!

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DazzaGainz wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    BMI of 21.... First i would consider trying to find my current maintenance level. Then I would consider my exercise regime.

What would be the best approach?

Increase your cals 100 per week till you get to around 1850

Stupid question but I presume you mean 100 a day, right?

Next week eat 1350 each day, week after 1450 etc, that way you won't get freaked out by any gains on the scale
  • DazzaGainz
    Options
    BMI of 21.... First i would consider trying to find my current maintenance level. Then I would consider my exercise regime.

Next week eat 1350 each day, week after 1450 etc, that way you won't get freaked out by any gains on the scale

Thanks!

Should I be fussed on Marcos?

I'm hitting protein/will be hitting protein @ 100g but carbs will increase significantly to 200g - should I be concerned?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Watch that. You just suggested 6 more weeks of (large theoretical) deficit eating as even 1800 is a guessed tdee with calculators pointing to over 2k.

I don't disagree that moving beyond 1850 should be slow, maybe 100 at a time; but given he is eating well below the minimum for a male right now a good initial jump to at least 1500 for a week or two followed by another good jump if it was well tolerated sounds like a good idea.

I don't disagree, just concerned that OP will freak out if the scales bounce up from the extra food
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Thanks!

I'm hitting protein/will be hitting protein @ 100g but carbs will increase significantly to 200g - should I be concerned?

How much fat?
  • DazzaGainz
    Options

Watch that. You just suggested 6 more weeks of (large theoretical) deficit eating as even 1800 is a guessed tdee with calculators pointing to over 2k.

I don't disagree that moving beyond 1850 should be slow, maybe 100 at a time; but given he is eating well below the minimum for a male right now a good initial jump to at least 1500 for a week or two followed by another good jump if it was well tolerated sounds like a good idea.

I don't disagree, just concerned that OP will freak out if the scales bounce up from the extra food

Random question - say I maintain at 1250 six days a week and then on Sunday I have a massive calorie day to average out at 1450-1500 would that be okay? Or wouldn't you recommend this...

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, you're just fat. "Skinny fat" means that you are slim and look like you should be healthy but tests showing your risk factors (blood pressure, etc.) indicate that you aren't.
  • DazzaGainz
    Options

Thanks!

How much fat?

40g

• DazzaGainz
    Options

:confused:

Do the program as written and eat at maintenance. Don't do a random day for your chest or extra reps or superset with bike sprints or anything else that you think would make the program better. Just follow the instructions and eat like a grown man.

Thanks mate!

Agree I'm not in a position to start improving the programs LOL

What form Cardio is better? Low intensity cardio (lowest setting on bike) where I'm sweating with heart rate at 140 or high intensity setting for a shorter time.

At the moment when do a low intensity cardio I use the excerise bike at its lowest setting doing 40KM in one hour burning supposedly 600calories.

• DazzaGainz
    Options
    No, you're just fat. "Skinny fat" means that you are slim and look like you should be healthy but tests showing your risk factors (blood pressure, etc.) indicate that you aren't.

That's what I thought!

• TavistockToad
    Options

Random question - say I maintain at 1250 six days a week and then on Sunday I have a massive calorie day to average out at 1450-1500 would that be okay? Or wouldn't you recommend this...

Your 'massive' calorie day isn't really that massive though... but yes, in theory, if you like to eat that way. But at some point you'll have to eat more than the 1250 on the other days!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Do the program as written and eat at maintenance. Don't do a random day for your chest or extra reps or superset with bike sprints or anything else that you think would make the program better. Just follow the instructions and eat like a grown man.

Thanks mate!

What form Cardio is better? Low intensity cardio (lowest setting on bike) where I'm sweating with heart rate at 140 or high intensity setting for a shorter time.

At the moment when do a low intensity cardio I use the excerise bike at its lowest setting doing 40KM in one hour burning supposedly 600calories.

Better for what?

What is your goal?

Why are you doing cardio?

Short of playing chicken on the highway, any form of cardio can be good for your overall health and well-being. So if you want to do cardio, do it. But if your goal is not to lose weight (which it shouldn't be at this point) you need to be eating to fuel the activity that you do.
  • DazzaGainz
    Options

Your 'massive' calorie day isn't really that massive though... but yes, in theory, if you like to eat that way. But at some point you'll have to eat more than the 1250 on the other days!

I've been very clean since November where given I can now afford to eat a bit more could you say I could incorporate a bit of "junk" into my days or shall I stay clean...

• DazzaGainz
    Options

Thanks mate!

Better for what?

What is your goal?

Why are you doing cardio?

Short of playing chicken on the highway, any form of cardio can be good for your overall health and well-being. So if you want to do cardio, do it. But if your goal is not to lose weight (which it shouldn't be at this point) you need to be eating to fuel the activity that you do.

I like to use the cardio to give myself more to eat - admittedly I ain't eating enough at the moment.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    The approach of 1500 + massive day may be ok moving back up above a minimum

However 1500 IS a minimum.

Muscles are not going to start growing big time while under these severe deficits.

Even in the presence of adequate body fat you would expect a performance impact from the size of the deficit.
  • DazzaGainz
    Options

Muscles are not going to start growing big time while under these severe deficits.

Even in the presence of adequate body fat you would expect a performance impact from the size of the deficit.

I presume you would recommend all calories to be from clean source as currently since November my diet has been strict where everyday is: protein cookie, Oats, tuna, vegetables, grapes, banana and water. No deviation at all!!!!!!!!!

Was thinking maybe start incorporating foods I've missed...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I presume you would recommend all calories to be from clean source as currently since November my diet has been strict where everyday is: protein cookie, Oats, tuna, vegetables, grapes, banana and water. No deviation at all!!!!!!!!!

You can eat what you please. It doesn't have to be 'clean'. Actually, to get your calories up, you may benefit from 'non-clean' foods.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

You're saying he is fat in the last photo @TimothyFish (which I understand to be the after in that succession)?
  • DazzaGainz
    Options

You can eat what you please. It doesn't have to be 'clean'. Actually, to get your calories up, you may benefit from 'non-clean' foods.

That's good to know! Thanks!

I suppose the key is I'm hitting my protein targets