Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My doctors do a good job on the correlation vs causation...thank goodness they know their stuff.

And thank goodness threads like this exist so I can know the question to ask.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I appreciate all your replies.

I've noticed I've had anxiety for the past several years, but do I blame that on peri-menopause?

Or am I committing the Correlation vs Causation logical fallacy?

Are there other things I could correlate?

It's a good point about getting blood tests that actually show real correlation, if that's possible. I've had blood tests that showed no abnormalities.

And anxiety is one of the most troubling symptoms for many women. Is yours caused by peri-? exacerbated by peri-? I guess only time will tell.

I had my blood work done a few times during peri-. Docs never said anything was "abnormal", but it did show that my progesterone was very low, while my estrogen was still high. Granted that is "normal" in menopause.... Progesterone typically drops first. And estrogen tends to drop slower and with many spikes along the way.
    With that information, however, I could choose to supplement with bio-identical progesterone. I did and my insomnia (and brain fog, and mood) improved tremendously.

Once menopause hit, some symptoms returned, and others worsened. I added just a little bio-identical estrogen. I feel "like me" again.

I read something recently that resonated with me. The researcher said that the menopausal transition is basically an extended period of physical withdrawal. As the hormones decrease slowly, over time the body has to adjust time and again.
    The annoying symptoms many experience are just physical withdrawal symptoms.

I know for myself that it felt like "punctuated equilibrium in reverse". I would feel fine for a long stretch, then I felt unwell for a stretch. Then my body would get used to the new normal and I'd feel fine for a while. Then icky again. As my estrogen went ever downward, with (I assume) upspikes along the way.

cheers
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I appreciate all your replies.

I've noticed I've had anxiety for the past several years, but do I blame that on peri-menopause?

Or am I committing the Correlation vs Causation logical fallacy?

Are there other things I could correlate?

It's a good point about getting blood tests that actually show real correlation, if that's possible. I've had blood tests that showed no abnormalities.

And anxiety is one of the most troubling symptoms for many women. Is yours caused by peri-? exacerbated by peri-? I guess only time will tell.

I had my blood work done a few times during peri-. Docs never said anything was "abnormal", but it did show that my progesterone was very low, while my estrogen was still high. Granted that is "normal" in menopause.... Progesterone typically drops first. And estrogen tends to drop slower and with many spikes along the way.
    With that information, however, I could choose to supplement with bio-identical progesterone. I did and my insomnia (and brain fog, and mood) improved tremendously.

Once menopause hit, some symptoms returned, and others worsened. I added just a little bio-identical estrogen. I feel "like me" again.

I read something recently that resonated with me. The researcher said that the menopausal transition is basically an extended period of physical withdrawal. As the hormones decrease slowly, over time the body has to adjust time and again.
    The annoying symptoms many experience are just physical withdrawal symptoms.

I know for myself that it felt like "punctuated equilibrium in reverse". I would feel fine for a long stretch, then I felt unwell for a stretch. Then my body would get used to the new normal and I'd feel fine for a while. Then icky again. As my estrogen went ever downward, with (I assume) upspikes along the way.

cheers

This is a very helpful explanation! I think it describes why I feel so much better when my progesterone is increased.

I've had friends say they are bleeding and having periods for weeks on end while in Peri-m. I've had so many friends whose doctors have said there isn't anything causing it so they should just get a hysterectomy rather then put them on progesterone to fix it. I realize HRT is not an option for some, but the whole "rip it out" mentality irritates me. I think this is bugging me today bc a friend just did this and she's not quite 40. She was just in peri! I saw her last night and just wanted to cry. So frustrating!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting ... especially the chart ...

"Going through menopause is a little like driving on an unfamiliar, twisting road with an unclear destination. You may not be sure of all that is happening, where you are going, or what’s coming next. In fact, you won’t realize you have reached your destination (menopause) until you are past it and see it in your rearview mirror.

The average age of menopause is 51. That means that almost half of all women have their last period and reach menopause before that age, and some women may not have even started perimenopause yet.

It’s not easy to know when you are in the menopausal transition. Menopausal symptoms, along with a physical examination, medical history, and maybe some blood tests, may provide useful clues. But, it is not possible to correctly predict when a woman’s final period will be. Your doctor could test the amount of estrogen in your blood or the level of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), another hormone that changes at this time. But, levels of both estrogen and FSH normally go up and down during your menstrual cycle. So, these test results alone cannot be used to predict or confirm menopause.

Levels of two other female hormones, progesterone and luteinizing hormone (LH), also rise and fall during your menstrual cycle. Progesterone levels drop after menopause, and LH levels go up (see chart below)."

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/menopause-time-change/introduction-menopause

menopause_01_chart.gif
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    menopause_01_chart.gif

That middle one looks like someone just scribbled all over it...

No wonder many of us feel so strange at times, if our hormones are doing that sort of dance!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wow... that chart certainly says it all! :/
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello - I started with night sweats after my youngest was born. That was nine years ago. I am now 44. I am going to be peri forever.......

It helps to avoid red wine
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Hello - I started with night sweats after my youngest was born. That was nine years ago. I am now 44. I am going to be peri forever.......

Hi! Hopefully the end is nigh in your case now and it won't be much longer before this phase is done with. :)
    It helps to avoid red wine

I had two glasses of the stuff on Monday. I regret nothing! ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

"Going through menopause is a little like driving on an unfamiliar, twisting road with an unclear destination. You may not be sure of all that is happening, where you are going, or what’s coming next. In fact, you won’t realize you have reached your destination (menopause) until you are past it and see it in your rearview mirror.

The average age of menopause is 51. That means that almost half of all women have their last period and reach menopause before that age, and some women may not have even started perimenopause yet.

It’s not easy to know when you are in the menopausal transition. Menopausal symptoms, along with a physical examination, medical history, and maybe some blood tests, may provide useful clues. But, it is not possible to correctly predict when a woman’s final period will be. Your doctor could test the amount of estrogen in your blood or the level of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), another hormone that changes at this time. But, levels of both estrogen and FSH normally go up and down during your menstrual cycle. So, these test results alone cannot be used to predict or confirm menopause.

Levels of two other female hormones, progesterone and luteinizing hormone (LH), also rise and fall during your menstrual cycle. Progesterone levels drop after menopause, and LH levels go up (see chart below)."

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/menopause-time-change/introduction-menopause

menopause_01_chart.gif

That looks about right!
    I must say I feel *better* menopausal than perimenopausal (at least some of the time).

I did have my blood work done a couple of times. In 2013, 2015, 2016, and again just recently in late 2016. I saw the biggest changes in Estrogen (which went up and down) and FSH (which went up and down). In 2015 my FSH was 29 (menopausal) then 23 in 2016 (peri) and 64 at the most recent check. Progesterone was consistently low, even with supplementation.
  • Machka9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    One thing I am liking about the hot flashes is that my hair becomes curly. :)

My hair is just slightly wavy, but give me a bit of humidity or a misty rain, and it curls ... ringlettes, little fluffy curls around my face, etc.

The hot flashes make me sweat profusely from about my waist up, including/especially my neck and head ... and poof! Out come the curls. :lol: It's hilarious.

So far, I actually don't mind the heat, and certainly don't mind the curls ... but I could do without the morning sickness-like nausea. (And no, I am most definitely not pregnant)
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    hi all, I will be 51 in April. I've been Peri for awhile now with sporadic periods. Sometimes none at all for months and then boom, have it for a week off a couple of days and then spotting for a couple of days. No hair thinning (I haven been on thyroid meds forever), always feel bloated and still break out with pimples before getting getting my period. My gyno suggested I keep the Mirena IUD in to keep my periods from being too heavy in menopause. Really the only use that thing has :neutral: No hot flashes that I've noticed.
  • Machka9
    Options

menopause_01_chart.gif

That looks about right!
    I must say I feel *better* menopausal than perimenopausal (at least some of the time).

I did have my blood work done a couple of times. In 2013, 2015, 2016, and again just recently in late 2016. I saw the biggest changes in Estrogen (which went up and down) and FSH (which went up and down). In 2015 my FSH was 29 (menopausal) then 23 in 2016 (peri) and 64 at the most recent check. Progesterone was consistently low, even with supplementation.

I asked 1 GP and 3 gyns about getting my blood work done, and none of them would do it. They all told me that because my cycle is likely going crazy (and they drew me a picture like the one above), it is "the luck of the draw" whether they'd get anything definitive.

Fortunately, I suppose, when the first one of those three went in to remove a large polyp back in 2015, he observed signs that I was perimenopausal. Something about the way my uterus lining was thickening or not thickening or whatever ... and also the very existence of a polyp like the one I had removed was a pretty good indication.
  • enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the chart @Sabine_Stroehm. I am going to show my husband this! No other explanation needed! LOL!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Great and informative thread! I'm 51 and have been on the BC pill forever. My doctor likens it to hormonal therapy at this point and because I have no adverse side effects, I'm staying on it for a few more years. I haven't had any menopausal symptoms except thinner hair (not that I've ever had thick hair!) but that actually started when I went off one pill and onto another one. Hormonal levels, I'm sure, caused that. I now take better care of my hair, washing it less, keeping it trimmed, not blow drying it etc. and I think it looks fine! I agree with previous posts that say that knowledge is power but I also agree that "not expecting things to be awful" is good positive thinking. I also think that getting as much sleep as possible, eating as well as possible, fresh air and even moderate exercise are good for the body and the soul! I wish good health and few symptoms to everyone here!
  • sheggs1
    sheggs1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just come across this post, I'm 43 and became Peri Menopausel at 42. I was spotting at all times throughout the month, followed by terrible back ache, hot flushes, bloated tummy, weight gain, pains in my ovaries and losing my hair.

Had tests etc and they found a suspected fibroid I then had to see gynaecologist and he told me all was fine not to worry, so I guess it was just down to being Peri Meno.

But now when I'm ovulating I feel awful I have spotting, my back ache is the worse.
    I guess I would be happier if I just stopped altogether. ..one day..But until then I will continue. ..oh the Joys!!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    sheggs1 wrote: »
    I have just come across this post, I'm 43 and became Peri Menopausel at 42. I was spotting at all times throughout the month, followed by terrible back ache, hot flushes, bloated tummy, weight gain, pains in my ovaries and losing my hair.

Had tests etc and they found a suspected fibroid I then had to see gynaecologist and he told me all was fine not to worry, so I guess it was just down to being Peri Meno.

But now when I'm ovulating I feel awful I have spotting, my back ache is the worse.
    I guess I would be happier if I just stopped altogether. ..one day..But until then I will continue. ..oh the Joys!!

You might really consider progesterone supplementation. It can make such a difference at this in between time!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So I picked up The Wisdom of Menopause at the library and, since it's huge, have mostly been skipping around to the specific chapters of interest. Then I came across a glowing account of one of the author's patients, who presented with a prolapsed bladder and severe pain and whose problems were traced to the sexual abuse she experienced *in a past life*. :/ Plus, she pushes a 5 day, high-fiber cleanse "designed to decrease tissue inflammation, eliminate glycemic stress, and reset your metabolism." I have to say, it hasn't created much confidence in her advice. :(

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm transitioning into perimenopause. Had a second night of waking up coated in sweat. Is it bad to be excited about this?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Q for those with PMS-no M: do you get non-stop cramps?

Like others, over the past few years, my cycle has shortened from a reliable 28 days to a 25 days median. I've had three 35-37 day cycles in the past 18 months, but haven't skipped a period.

Until now. My last period was Jan 14 so I would have expected it the first week of Feb. Every day for the past month, I have cramps that feel like my period will start today. I earnestly feel it will start any moment now. I can't discern other peri symptoms (other than rash overeating here & there, but honestly, that could be due to any number of things unconnected to hormones).

So is this consistent with anyone else's peri experience? Or should I start googling other things that could be causing the pain? My GYN retired more than a year ago and I am presently without one. Dumb, I know. I need to find another dr.

• SueSueDio
    Options
    I don't get really bad cramps, but sometimes I do get some mild crampy feelings along with tender breasts and other symptoms that would imply a period is coming but nothing else happens. It's not constant, though, just for a couple of days or so... and I haven't noticed it happening every month either.

The past couple of times I've had actual bleeding, I noticed that I was really hungry a few days beforehand, just for a day or two!

Not really very helpful, I know, but that's what my experience has been like so far. If you're getting constant pain, even if it's not too bad, it might be worth talking to your doctor just in case there's something else causing it?