Good bye Coffee

2»

Replies

• I joined the "gave up Coffee" crowd this year...but I didn't give up caffeine :wink:

I've started drinking Green Tea, and while the taste is different, it's kinda cool knowing all of the benefits.

My vice is more in the Baked Goods area...formerly with Coffee :laugh:

By the by, Green Tea seems to be be helping me in curbing my desire for food, for some reason :huh:

I started with the green tea this week myself. I usually start getting "bored" around 3 pm and practically start falling asleep at my desk, as well as getting those "hunger pangs" and the green tea helps both. I know there isn't much caffeine in the tea so it's probably mental, but i have heard there really are components in it to curb hunger, as well as the antioxidants.
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Lots of benefits...check this google search out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=green+tea+benefits&btnG=Google+Search&aq=0&oq=green+tea

Cheers...with Green Tea :drinker:
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    I was drinking alot of coffee ,I cut down on it because of heath issues ,I drink 2 cups a day and green tea the rest of the day,Also i drink decafe in both!
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    I joined the "gave up Coffee" crowd this year...but I didn't give up caffeine :wink:

I've started drinking Green Tea, and while the taste is different, it's kinda cool knowing all of the benefits.

My vice is more in the Baked Goods area...formerly with Coffee :laugh:

By the by, Green Tea seems to be be helping me in curbing my desire for food, for some reason :huh:

i am with you!! I gave up my coffee when I found out I had high blood pressure (mostly caused by stress). I feel soooo much better without it. I miss it ,but I also drink green tea on weekends. Otherwise I have cut caffeine altogether.
    I do miss my hazelnut creamer too. Too many calories though!!!:cry:
  • CUT OUT COFFEE???? Caffeine is the world's safest weight loss drug. Pick up a bottle of any weight loss drug and you will see caffeine. Caffeine before you workouts delays fatique and helps burn fat!
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    You don't have to give up coffee. When I am in training for some event or another, I make sure it is all decaf. Personally I do not notice a difference in flavor, and I grind my own beans and drink it black with nothing in it at all. I mean, if you like coffee why put all that junk in it?

Anyway, my resting heart rate dropped by a lot when I did that. However, on the morning of race day I would drink the strongest brew I could find. Caffeine is after all a performance enhancing drug, albeit a legal one.

Keep in mind too though that a great many things can affect your HR, so while training with HR is effective, you should only use it as a rough guide, and really it is best when used as a guage to whether you are over training and need a break.

If you drink the same brew at the same time and work out the same time every day,then the sudden increase in HR could be due to something else. Things that affect HR include:
    Diet
    stress/anxiety levels
    general fatigue
    over training
    coming down with or fighting off a cold/illness
    confusion between your HRM and someone elses if you use wireless
    the ones on the machines in the gym are not that accurate to begin with.

A jump of 28 beats in one day is a lot, but it also can easily be an anomoly and nothing to concern yourself with. However if you are feeling tired you may need a rest, or active recovery day.

Hope that helps some...
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    I do half caff. I love it and still get my little kick start and the yummy flavor!

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    You don't have to give up coffee. When I am in training for some event or another, I make sure it is all decaf. Personally I do not notice a difference in flavor, and I grind my own beans and drink it black with nothing in it at all. I mean, if you like coffee why put all that junk in it?

Anyway, my resting heart rate dropped by a lot when I did that. However, on the morning of race day I would drink the strongest brew I could find. Caffeine is after all a performance enhancing drug, albeit a legal one.

Keep in mind too though that a great many things can affect your HR, so while training with HR is effective, you should only use it as a rough guide, and really it is best when used as a guage to whether you are over training and need a break.

If you drink the same brew at the same time and work out the same time every day,then the sudden increase in HR could be due to something else. Things that affect HR include:
    Diet
    stress/anxiety levels
    general fatigue
    over training
    coming down with or fighting off a cold/illness
    confusion between your HRM and someone elses if you use wireless
    the ones on the machines in the gym are not that accurate to begin with.

A jump of 28 beats in one day is a lot, but it also can easily be an anomoly and nothing to concern yourself with. However if you are feeling tired you may need a rest, or active recovery day.

Hope that helps some...

I have been feeling extremely tired for the last few days...maybe I was fighting off something. Today I felt much better...I think I will stick to coffee on the weekends and drink green tea during the week. That way I have something to look forward too.

Can someone please explain to me what an active recovery day would include?? Is that just a lower intensity workout or a "fun" activity vs a cardio/strength workout?
    thanks for all your insights and opinions.
  • I actually had a major diet coke habit..I drank it constantly all day long. About a month ago, I stopped drinking it, and started drinking coffee in the a.m. I lost 4 lbs!
This discussion has been closed.