No more tilapia?

Options

Replies

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like it. I'll continue to eat it. Shrimp, catfish, tilapia and a few other things are scavengers that eat anything. Jimmy crack corn.........I don't care.

I will never stop eating shrimp! Or crawfish for that matter!
    Uggh, I keep seeing posts about crawfish on Reddit.

I wish I knew someone else that liked them to justify buying a sack and boiling them.

@ActivatedAlm0nds I am literally sitting next to a warm 5lbs bag of boiled crawfish right now, on my way home from Lafayette, LA. I cannot wait to tear into these!!!
    So cool. I just wait for HEB to start sellling them. I really want to do a boil myself man, lol.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong w/farmed tilapia.

It's cheap, has no taste that I can notice (trout and salmon have stronger flavors) and has a firm flesh that is easy to cook in many ways (braise, poach, deep fry, stir fry or pan fry) and will take on any flavor you add to it.

Then why so much hate for it? I see article after article saying it's the worst fish you can eat.

Just nonsense IMO.

Catfish is another farmed bottom fish and I don't hear similar criticism of it. Both are delicious when properly prepared and cooked.

"Delicious" isn't a word I'd ever use to describe tilapia. I couldn't care less about what it eats or how it's raised, but I think it's the most bland, mushy, disgusting fish I've ever eaten. It's like the Tofu of the fish world - no flavor. I love most fish, but can't stand tilapia.

That right there. Hella quotable.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would not eat it. I also will not eat Escolar. That stuff will mess with your intestines.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Reaverie wrote: »
    There are also articles on how apples are bad and oatmeal is bad.. and I remember when milk was bad..then it wasn't..then steak was.. now certain fish has mercury and should be limited yet the healthiest longest living people in the world eat it without question. Do your own research. Articles are written by mostly uneducated monkeys. But yeah, tilapia does taste gross. Doesn't mean it's bad for you.. just means it's gross. Want to know how Germans use to make sauerkraut? You would be grossed out.. but it really isn't bad for you.

By fermentation? Like I, and plenty of other people still do? Or like the one people buy from the fridge not the shelf in the supermarket?

My dad grew up in Germany and he said they would layer a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw, a layer of cabbage, a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw,...it continues on that way.. in a large vat and let it sit to ferment. They process it now. But there are a lot of foods old timers ate that today we would gag on. Brains and eggs was a thing my dad grew up on. He also ate cows eyes and grasshoppers. He would go to the hen house and crack open an egg and drink it right there. Lovely generation, the 50's..

No offence to your dad, but I'mnot going to believe that for a second! I still ferment sauerkraut, but definitely not like that.

Plenty of people still eat brains, eyes, grasshoppers (which are becoming more popular as an alternative protein source) and raw eggs....

I think his dad was pulling his leg. My sauerkraut never needed poo or hay either and it worked out fine with just cabbage, salt and water. I can't see how poo or hay would be cheaper or of any use so it's not the truth. Brains, eyes and grasshoppers are true. My son ate the two eyes from the fish I baked last night and husband has eaten wittchety grubs from a log with other son years ago raw! I use to cook brains for my baby so that's normal.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think about what all fish do in the water? If you are afraid of tilapia why would you ever drink water?
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I used to eat quite a bit of tilapia and have heard of the sound bites saying how bad it is for people/what their diet is like and I drifted away from eating it. It wasn't ever the best fish anyways for me, I just ate it because if I wanted fish from a restaurant that would usually be the only fish on the menu that was reasonably priced. I just happen to prefer wild caught fish and like their taste over things that were farmed. Now if I want fish I just get salmon, king mackerel or cod.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much more than a quick Google search to find somebody on the internet who will claim that just about anything is "bad for you". It's good clickbait because people get the 'omgzzzz' and want to know why it's bad to eat vegetables, or oatmeal, or apples, or tilapia, or whatever the woo du jour is.

Learning to vet one's sources is probably the single most important skill when scouring the internet for nutrition information, because 99% of what's out there is pure garbage and some of it is downright dangerous.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I researched at eat a lot of the Costco Kirkland brand only. They are fed good things and really monitored in big groups, not a farm. Research it. It's not the cheapest but for 110 calories and good quality it's worth it!!

I also get my Tilapia at Costco, and salmon too. See the link below for the newest salmon supplier and purchased change from Costco.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/costco-will-buy-most-farmed-salmon-from-norway-not-chile/
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wild fish is better than farmed fish, but farmed fish is better than no fish. In some cases, farmed fish will have less exposure to pollutants. The ocean is chock full of fish that feed off the 'waste' of other organisms, it's the cycle of life.

Are you going to give up bacon because pigs are good scavengers?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think about what all fish do in the water? If you are afraid of tilapia why would you ever drink water?

Well I don't drink water that fish have been swimming in. Do you?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Personally I like tilapia - but one time I got a bad batch. Normally it is a fairly tasteless fish. I bake it with butter and lemon juice and a little seasoning. Yum!

Another time I got some from Walmart that tasted like a filthy swamp. Looked at the package...from China. No other tilapia tasted like that. It was horrible. I am getting sick to my stomach remembering it.

That said I haven't had it for a while because I'm afraid of getting it from less than wholesome sources.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Lake Tahoe has fish swimming in it and is the best tasting drinking water, so yeah, I have.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Lake Tahoe has fish swimming in it and is the best tasting drinking water, so yeah, I have.

fish wee wee water. yuk
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Where do you get your water from?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Our drinking water comes from a lake that's full of trophy size trout and salmon. Of course I drink water that fish fried in.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

Our drinking water comes from a lake that's full of trophy size trout and salmon. Of course I drink water that fish fried in.

IKR? Fish add a certain flavor. I can't pinpoint it.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

I am not sure where your drinking water comes from but, Drinking water comes from one of two sources: ground water or surface water. Ground water originates from precipitation that falls in the form of rain or snow and seeps into the ground, filling the open spaces, or pore space, within layers of sand or gravel (formations) beneath the land surface. Under the ground there is a zone of saturation where the subsurface is completely saturated with water. Layers of sand and gravel in this saturated zone are called aquifers. An aquifer is a geologic formation containing water in quantities sufficient to yield water to a well. The well pumps water to the surface where the water company treats it to ensure that it is safe to drink. It is then pumped into a storage tank and upon demand by the customer, flows through distribution pipes into the home and ultimately to the faucet.

So, not only have you drank water that fish have been swimming in, you most likely drink water that humans and other animals have urinated in or crapped in too. It also has had a few hundred animals die in it also.

surface water include creeks, lakes and streams.

I'm not afraid.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

I am not sure where your drinking water comes from but, Drinking water comes from one of two sources: ground water or surface water. Ground water originates from precipitation that falls in the form of rain or snow and seeps into the ground, filling the open spaces, or pore space, within layers of sand or gravel (formations) beneath the land surface. Under the ground there is a zone of saturation where the subsurface is completely saturated with water. Layers of sand and gravel in this saturated zone are called aquifers. An aquifer is a geologic formation containing water in quantities sufficient to yield water to a well. The well pumps water to the surface where the water company treats it to ensure that it is safe to drink. It is then pumped into a storage tank and upon demand by the customer, flows through distribution pipes into the home and ultimately to the faucet.

So, not only have you drank water that fish have been swimming in, you most likely drink water that humans and other animals have urinated in or crapped in too. It also has had a few hundred animals die in it also.

surface water include creeks, lakes and streams.

I'm not afraid.

you must be drinking rain water then
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

My local water comes from a filthy lake with all sorts of nastiness in it. However...the local water company filters and purifies it, so the whole valley doesn't get sick and die. I wouldn't drink directly from unfiltered water that animals, fish and probably people have been pooping in. Not wise to drink water straight from nature in most parts of the world these days (unless it's from an uncontaminated spring) without filtering it first. That's a good way to get sick (and possibly even die.)