Eggs, eggs, eggs!

Options
I've just started a low carb diet and, so far, have had more eggs in 5days than I normally have in a month!! Can anyone tell me if this is OK as I remember a while ago, people saying too many eggs were bad for you.

Thank you.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Plus one for eggs. :) I like an evening meal of two eggs and roasted vegetables. Yum and its simple to cook it and log it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the best! Try find some local farm fresh ones once in a while, to step up your egg game.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depending on your genes,eggs can definitely raise your bad cholesterol_5 a week is reasonable.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    bunnyluv19 wrote: »
    Depending on your genes,eggs can definitely raise your bad cholesterol_5 a week is reasonable.

Do you have a source for that? Because I'm pretty sure it's been proven that eating cholesterol does not raise cholesterol (it's saturated fat that does) - if I'm mistaken, I'd be really interested to know the truth.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Apparently there's "good cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol" now. And eggs are no longer labelled as a negative.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Its fine
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Do you have a source for that? Because I'm pretty sure it's been proven that eating cholesterol does not raise cholesterol (it's saturated fat that does) - if I'm mistaken, I'd be really interested to know the truth.
    I don't have a source, but my doctor has gone over this with me too. There are a percentage of people who have problems eating cholesterol due to genetics. It's not everyone. And your body actually produces a lot of cholesterol on its own.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the final verdict is on egg cholesterol but since my family has bad cholesterol history i just buy the boxed egg whites and add them to 1 real egg so i only eat 1 yolk a day (which is where most or all of the cholesterol is) but probably 3 or 4 egg whites ☺
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

People with familial hypercholesterolemia need to watch dietary cholesterol and saturated fat. Trust me, if I didn't have FH, I'd be eating a lot of eggs. I adore them.

http://nlaresourcecenter.lipidjournal.com/Content/PDFs/FA-Patient-Book-English.pdf

I'm lucky to be able to control mine just through diet and exercise since I only inherited the gene from one parent. I want to keep it that way. My sister is on statins.

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine. I found that I just got sick of them.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the most bioavailable form of protein there is. I eat one practically every day. You might get sick of them eventually but they aren't evil or anything.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    YUM, eggs and salsa, never get sick of dat!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Too many eggs is bad for you, what do you want us to say? It's not true? Keep it up and see what happens.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Too many eggs is bad for you, what do you want us to say? It's not true? Keep it up and see what happens.

Define "too many". And whether that applies to everybody, or just people with certain conditions.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want shashushka.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want shashushka.

It's making me hungry for chilaquiles.