Eggs, eggs, eggs!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol makes up approximately 2% of the fat we eat, much better to be cautious of the overall fat consumption we have including the quality of the sources of these fats with their proportions of saturated to mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, than to be overly concerned with trying to lower that 2% in these foods that are so called "high in cholesterol".

Sources.....official NHS (UK) diabetes education programme training provided to the patients I see in my practice when they are sent for their nutrition training at initial diagnosis.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Too many eggs is bad for you, what do you want us to say? It's not true? Keep it up and see what happens.

That is patently untrue unless you have an egg allergy or are among those unfortunate enough to have the gene that makes you sensitive to dietary cholesterol.

They are, in fact pretty low in saturated fat if you're worried about that.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Too many eggs is bad for you, what do you want us to say? It's not true? Keep it up and see what happens.

Too many (too much) of anything is bad for you - that's what too many means.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Too many (too much) of anything is bad for you - that's what too many means.

Zfq6ima.gif
  • kristamas
    kristamas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went keto and ate lots and lots of eggs and it somehow awakened a latent egg allergy. I now get violently ill if I eat any egg at all! I looked it up and it's not uncommon. So just pay attention if you start feeling sick. Hope it doesn't happen to you! I seriously miss eggs. :(
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, My day's don't seem right if I don't start off on eggs, and buttered toast. The best part of waking up.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I eat between 6-12 eggs (or egg whites) a day and haven't died yet.
  • victorias36
    victorias36 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I eat eggs everyday and my Doctor told me that was great and to keep doing it! It is great protein. I do have low cholesterol and I have been eating eggs for years! Eat up!
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    More recent studies have shown that dietary cholesterol has no statistically significant impact on serum cholesterol, and in fact it's no longer even as simple as the "HDL = good" and "LDL = bad" that was thought for a while - there are much better indicators of heart disease risk.

Under all but some pathological circumstances eggs should be fine. If you do have some reason for concern, I wouldn't go the route of regularly consuming just egg whites -- there's a compound in them that blocks the absorption of biotin, and regular consumption can cause deficiencies.

I'm eating 3 eggs on top of my salad right now. =)