Right and wrong ways to comment on weight loss

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
So in the last months I have had -

"You look amazing" - Great! like this one
"You have completely changed shape" - hmm, are you saying I was a blob before?
"Your mother must be so happy, she was always negative about your weight" - well yes, and yes, but only through her own bonkersness. I was never actually overweight
"Your husband must be thrilled" - yeah. No. WRONG thing to say. My husband loved me just fine as I was, and he loves me the same now, and losing a stone doesn't mean I have suddenly turned into a rampant horny woman, and frankly, it's none of your business anyway.
"You're too thin" - Another WRONG thing to say. No, I have a BMI of about 22.5, and my body fat % is 24. I am not too thin. In fact, I could lose some more fat and still not be too thin.

Replies

• KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Im always getting " you have loss enough weight" I hate that. I still have much more to go :(
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is, "You've lost weight! What are you doing!?" I wish I had a really great witty response to that one.
  • deenanna
    deenanna Posts: 39
    Options
    Welcome to society and the way people behave themselves. People now-a-days have no tact to themselves. They say things without thinking. Don't let it get to you!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Like this a lot! I recently got a weird comment. I was asked how much I'd lost, and when I said, the lady says, "wow, I didn't know you were that big". Not a wonderful thing to say. I agree with the husband must be happy one..my boyfriend liked me 45 pounds ago when we got together, he liked me 80 pounds ago in high school, and he likes me now. Weight isn't the deal breaker for everyone. But I'll always take a "you look great!"
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    My favorite is "Wow, you've lost weight! I can REALLY tell a difference."
    so how fat WAS I before this?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Wrong: You look so skinny!
    Right: You're looking lean!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You are dead on with the right and wrong ways to compliment someone who's lost X amount of weight!! In fact my boss "complimented" me the other day saying... "Oh! You look so skinny in this picture what happened to last years?" WTF? Even if it's true.. please don't say anything in front of the whole staff at the convention!!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A girl at work saw me on the myfitnesspal.com website (just joined yesterday) and came to me later and said "oh you look great miss skinny" and I said..."if you can tell i've lost 0.6lbs, then thank you for noticing..." hahaha...I mean really?!?!?
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My husbands parents actually accused me of "popping pills" because I am losing weight!!! Ugh.. totally not the right way to comment about my weight loss!! Maybe I should tell them I hook it on the weekends too lol!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I once was asked if I am anorexic when I was 190 lbs at 5'8", I just don't know what to say, it always leaves me speechless. And then the question "How are you doing it" in lowered voice, as if it is an old alchemy secret and when I say exercise I get a huff, like.. no I'm not doin' that, talk again with me when you have an easier solution...
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    haha, I got this one from a friend today after showing her what I looked like before getting pregnant and having kids:

"you were built like a linebacker compared to now!"

I know she meant well, but geez! LOL
  • JPayne53
    Options
    Ha! I'd reply... You look the same! What AREN'T you doing?? :tongue:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    People usually mean well.
  • JPayne53
    Options
    My personal favorite is, "You've lost weight! What are you doing!?" I wish I had a really great witty response to that one.

Haha, I'd reply, "You look the same, what aren't you doing!?" :tongue:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows the highest compliment you can pay someone is "I'd hit that!"
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    A customer at work yesterday asked me if things were okay with me because I had lost a lot of weight..um yes..things are better than okay..lol
  • racoomer
    racoomer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got "you can tell you have lost, keep it up"... Keep it up? really?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I do! I reply, eating very little and exercising my *kitten* off. It usually shuts them up!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    So in the last months I have had -

"You look amazing" - Great! like this one
    "Your husband must be thrilled" - yeah. No. WRONG thing to say. My husband loved me just fine as I was, and he loves me the same now, and losing a stone doesn't mean I have suddenly turned into a rampant horny woman, and frankly, it's none of your business anyway.
    "You're too thin" - Another WRONG thing to say. No, I have a BMI of about 22.5, and my body fat % is 24. I am not too thin. In fact, I could lose some more fat and still not be too thin.

I totally get those ones all the time......I agree with you completely!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Just recently I got, "Oh, my gosh you look amazing. You suck."

I'm certain she wasn't exactly kidding.