Low Energy - help?

Options
I'm struggling with low energy and am wondering if anybody else has figured out how to boost it! I'm hypothyroid with Hashimoto's, so my metabolism is sluggish. I do take levothyroxine every morning and my bloodwork comes back in the normal range.

I'm not a low-carb dieter, so that can't be the problem. I have all these big plans of exercising daily, but some days it's a struggle to get off my butt. I'm hoping maybe there are some foods that can't boost my energy!

Thanks!

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ask yiur doctor if he can recommend ways to "optimize" your blood results.

For instance you may be in range for iron or vitamin D, but is it optimal for your lifestyle and health status?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie deficit too high?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    I've always been low/medium energy but what helps me a lot is to exercise regularly, it's about discipline for me
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Maca gives me nonstimulant energy
  • Manda5352
    Manda5352 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with low energy and am wondering if anybody else has figured out how to boost it! I'm hypothyroid with Hashimoto's, so my metabolism is sluggish. I do take levothyroxine every morning and my bloodwork comes back in the normal range.

I'm not a low-carb dieter, so that can't be the problem. I have all these big plans of exercising daily, but some days it's a struggle to get off my butt. I'm hoping maybe there are some foods that can't boost my energy!

Thanks!

HI I just found out I have Hashimoto's and my body feels like your I added you on here
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D may be part of the issue. I force myself to get up and exercise early. I have a small bite for breakfast and head to the gym. I find it picks me up for the rest of the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Were you specifically tested for deficiencies in nutrients like iron and vitamin B and D? Despite being first diagnosed with anemia 30 years ago I have to specifically request my iron levels be tested with routine blood work. When I fall back into the Anemic range I have crippling fatigue. Getting iron from my diet alone does not suffice.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Also get your ferritin (iron stores) tested. I didn't show as anemic, but knew to ask for a ferritin test, which was low and was definitely affecting my energy levels.

A couple of other possibilities: sleep, hydration, depression, Vit. D, B vitamins, blood sugar, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,149 Member
    Options
    Did they test T3/T4, or just TSH?
  • scjack6312
    scjack6312 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go to GNC and grab an energy drink
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Make sure you don't have a deficiency of some kind also. Low Vitamin D or anemia can really make a body tired.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Have a blood panel done to make sure everything is in order.

My biggest help for energy has literally been sleep! I know, duh! But really, I added 45 min to an hour of sleep and it has changed everything!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I had issues with energy being low all my life. I dont know what caused it,I had all kinds of tests and no one knows why or how.
    But I started eating more calories,trying to get better nutrition and am taking a multivitamin and other supplements I need to take due to my health issue and what my medications rob my body of.

I also started trying to get more sleep.I take vitamin D often due to being deficient in the past. I also try to get out and get a little bit of sun too when i can. coffee and energy drinks do nothing for me.The better I eat the better I feel.If I start feeling tired I will get up and stretch,do some squats,jumping jacks,etc or just march in place to get the blood flowing again. usually works too
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto's, and I also take my Synthroid every morning, and my numbers are also normal now.

The trouble with low energy is that it's what doctors call a non-specific symptom. There are so many possible causes that ascribing it definitely to one thing isn't something you can confidently do, particularly when the putative cause is being successfully treated.

I'd assume it was something else first, before I'd conclude it was the Hashimoto's causing it. Whenever I have low energy, it's either from lack of sleep or my chronic depression catching up with me. (Which are often the same thing. Depression leads to anxiety which leads to sleepless nights.)