How do you find time?

Options
smitss01
smitss01 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
If you work full time, are in school, and have other after work obligations, how do you find time to work out? I need some ideas for quick and effective exercises.

Replies

• Sindbad1985
    Sindbad1985 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can do insanity max 30, which is very effective 30 minutes workout
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    ya85ser wrote: »
    You can do insanity max 30, which is very effective 30 minutes workout

Although I do not do the same workout, I do dedicate 30 minutes four or five times a week as soon as I get home and change, before I do anything else. As a side benefit, it really helps me mentally transition from work-to-home (I know some people use commute time to do that, but I live only five minutes from my work).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    smitss01 wrote: »
    If you work full time, are in school, and have other after work obligations, how do you find time to work out? I need some ideas for quick and effective exercises.

I work full time.
    I attend university part time ... slowly working toward my Master's degree.
    And I am an active member of a long distance cycling club.

I walk as part of my commute.
    I walk at lunch.
    I climb about 25 flights of stairs a day 5 days a week.
    I walk after work ... next month, I'll be cycling after work.
    And on weekends I do long distance rides.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I also do the 30 minutes a day thing - C25K for running (the last couple of weeks are 40 minutes) and Sweat for strength (28 minutes) so it fits nicely and the results are great!
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I struggle to find the time too. I recently brought a set of weights to my desk and lift weights while I'm in meetings / conference calls
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Options
    I work, and have 3 active kids....so I get the busy part. I get up early everyday, 5am to get in 30-40 min of cardio. Then weekends I have longer and go to the gym. It's just a habit now...I have anxiety if I don't get up & get it done, because it's not getting done when we all get home.....then it's crazy time! Good luck!
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    You have to want to make time for fitness.
    Get up 40 minutes earlier and get to bed earlier.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think that's an excellent question. I use a standing desk at work for several hours each day. It is a MET 2 exercise, which is real and is not nothing. It burns about 75 calories per hour. Three or four hours of that is about as much as you burn in a thirty minute cardio session, and you get paid to do it.

I don't have a gym membership because I think it's a waste of my money.

I do have a 2 cardio machines in my big living room and can get quickly into a cardio workout at home without having to drive to a place. I recently bought a 50' by 1.5" rope, and use it to do battle ropes in my driveway. That's a MET 8.6 exercise, and I found time to do it in the dark Friday night after dinner, and in the light Sunday afternoon after lunch. I work in a tall building. I can get 1 minute of stair climbing for each bathroom trip.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym right after work. At the beginning I just considered my work day to be an extra hour and fifteen minutes long. So if someone wanted to do something after work, I would consider after the gym to be my after work time. It made the habit much easier to get into and now it's just second nature for me to just go to the gym after work. I get in, work hard, and I'm usually out in 45-60 minutes. It's been 2.5 years and still going strong.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and have an active 2 1/2 year old along with a daughter that will be 18 in 2 mos. So we are doing college things for the fall. When the weather permits, we go for walks after dinner. Unfortunately I work an hour from home - so when I leave anywhere from 4:30-5:30, I have time to get dinner done, clean-up and bath for the little one but I try - I also bought ankle/wrist weights and have them on my ankles at work and lift my legs up in the morning and my arms in the afternoon and then change it up every other week. At least I'm doing something .... lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You have to make the time...finding time is a passive endeavor...there's always something else to do. During the week, I make the time to do get on my bike...often due to time constraints I do a shorter but more intense interval session and I can be done in 30 minutes. I go to the gym to lift on Monday and Wednesday evenings...straight there after work. I don't use my weekends for rest days...I take those during the week when I'm busier.

I also don't spend a whole lot of time watching t.v...I basically watch about 30 minutes or so per night while my wife and I have dinner...there are exceptions like yesterday...it was one of those cold, gloomy stay in the house kind of days and I felt like watching the Bruins and Stars so I put the game on and put my bike on the trainer and did a nice little spin for a couple of hours while I watched the game.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I wake up early and go to the gym before work. I do a quick workout 30 to 45 minutes and shower at the gym. When my kids were younger I would carry sneakers and walk around the parking lot or track waiting for them to get out of whatever activity they were doing.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You don't find time. You make time. I know, just a simple change of words, but it's more a change in mind set.

You make exercise part of your routine and don't let yourself think you don't have time.

^^ This times a million.

Only you can make it a priority. Many come up with excuses as to why they can't. Most of those same people struggle to find reasons to make it happen.

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You don't find time. You make time.

Came here to say this.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have 3 kids (1 in college; 2 still at home including my 5 year old), my husband works at night. So, I use my hour lunch break to go walking. When work isn't so hectic, I walk during my 2 breaks for 10 minutes each.