The age old "You can't target areas of fat, lifting" BS!

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I hear this all the time and am kinda confused or doubtful about the conclusions. Why can't you target a certain area and reduce the fat in that area lifting?

My answer is, I call BS on that.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why you think it's BS...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've always kind of thought not being able to target fat was BS too. Not based on anything other than my own personal life. Maybe I can't, but it sure seems like I can.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    I hear this all the time and am kinda confused or doubtful about the conclusions. Why can't you target a certain area and reduce the fat in that area lifting?

My answer is, I call BS on that.

Because...?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    The great thing about factual information is our beliefs have no bearing on their truth.

What is the "fact" based on? How was it proved?
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The great thing about factual information is our beliefs have no bearing on their truth.

Based on the fact that when you get rid of body fat through working out, it comes from all over the body, not just a specific area. For example, say you only did recumbent bike for 30 minutes a day. Sure, your legs will get firmer, but you're still using other muscles, and your body temperature has risen, resulting in fat melting away not only in your legs, but your glutes, abs, chest, back, and lastly the arms.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    BishopLord wrote: »

Based on the fact that when you get rid of body fat through working out, it comes from all over the body, not just a specific area. For example, say you only did recumbent bike for 30 minutes a day. Sure, your legs will get firmer, but you're still using other muscles, and your body temperature has risen, resulting in fat melting away not only in your legs, but your glutes, abs, chest, back, and lastly the arms.

I know the theory. But what proof is there that different exercises don't cause more fat from certain areas to be used? It's the proof I'm interested in. Genuinely interested.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I worked out with a guy that was over weight, 335 lbs. Didn't do the typical cardio or diet thing. Weight still the same now but he has been blasting his shoulders with super hi reps and is strong as hell. His shoulders have striations front and back but every where else is the same as before. So to say you can't target certain areas and lose fat in that specific area seems bogus.

I'm not the Sci-fi nutrition guy, so I just wanted to know. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it myself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Interesting. I'm not sure 2 studies that focused on arms only would constitute 'proved' but it is interesting data.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    So the muscle in his shoulders just pushed the fat somewhere else out of the way. Maybe he just didn't have a whole lot of fat on his shoulders.