Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your daughter, Mike! That's a fantastic achievement!

And don't worry about losing a week. I lose them here and there too - all part of being a parent. :wink:
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Did interval training today. I gotta try and get my speed back. The only way to do that is to run fast. So I did 6; 20-30 second sprint intervals during mile 2. I was pretty much toast after that for the 3rd mile. Happy Tuesday!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    6bddjngz5yng.jpg

Let's talk about stretching. You have your routine down! You wake up, do a little cardio, then hit the road for a nice run or the gym for the weights! You lift, push, pull and feel great. Maybe, you felt really good and increased the weights just a touch to really get a good workout in or ran an extra mile.

The next day, you are right back at it, feeling a little tighter than yesterday, but you figure that is part of the workout. No pain, No gain, right! But the next time around, you feel a sharp pain or don't seem to have that same range of motion. What happened?

The truth of the matter is, though you might think this is the way it should be, chances are, this small little pain or reduction in range of motion is the result of your muscles tightening up and working against you. This could have been avoided with a little stretching. Sure, you might be thinking to yourself that stretching isn't that important, or that because you don't see the results you would like from stretching, like you would from doing squats or bench presses, that it is not as important. The fact of the matter is, you are only hindering yourself, not helping.

So Why Stretch?
    There are several reasons why you should stretch. Stretching helps release the lactic acid that is built up in your muscles from strenuous lifting or movement. Stretching also improves flexibility, which promotes muscle growth and reduces that post exercise soreness. This also leads to a fuller range of motion, increasing your mobility. Not to mention that you will have better posture and feel more confident in yourself.

When Should you Stretch?
    You should do some light stretching before and after your workouts, and consider stretching for longer periods of time at least once a week. Yoga is one good way to accomplish this. And no, Yoga is not just for the ladies.

Be Safe About Stretching
    While stretching is good for you, be sure that you don't over do it and are safe about it. Stretching should be a slow, gradual flow or movement, not a fast, forced, and jerky one. Focus on stretching the shortened tight muscles, not the ones that already feel loose. You should have a decent mix of static stretching and ballistic stretching. An example of static stretching would be like bending over at the waist and trying to touch your toes for 10-15 seconds. Ballistic stretching would be like doing arm circles.

As always, if you are not sure of what stretches to do or for how long, consult your physician to avoid injury.
  • FasterStrongerBetter2017
    Options
    Mum to a 2 yr old daughter. Feel free to add.
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    6bddjngz5yng.jpg

Let's talk about stretching. You have your routine down! You wake up, do a little cardio, then hit the road for a nice run or the gym for the weights! You lift, push, pull and feel great. Maybe, you felt really good and increased the weights just a touch to really get a good workout in or ran an extra mile.

The next day, you are right back at it, feeling a little tighter than yesterday, but you figure that is part of the workout. No pain, No gain, right! But the next time around, you feel a sharp pain or don't seem to have that same range of motion. What happened?

The truth of the matter is, though you might think this is the way it should be, chances are, this small little pain or reduction in range of motion is the result of your muscles tightening up and working against you. This could have been avoided with a little stretching. Sure, you might be thinking to yourself that stretching isn't that important, or that because you don't see the results you would like from stretching, like you would from doing squats or bench presses, that it is not as important. The fact of the matter is, you are only hindering yourself, not helping.

So Why Stretch?
    There are several reasons why you should stretch. Stretching helps release the lactic acid that is built up in your muscles from strenuous lifting or movement. Stretching also improves flexibility, which promotes muscle growth and reduces that post exercise soreness. This also leads to a fuller range of motion, increasing your mobility. Not to mention that you will have better posture and feel more confident in yourself.

When Should you Stretch?
    You should do some light stretching before and after your workouts, and consider stretching for longer periods of time at least once a week. Yoga is one good way to accomplish this. And no, Yoga is not just for the ladies.

Be Safe About Stretching
    While stretching is good for you, be sure that you don't over do it and are safe about it. Stretching should be a slow, gradual flow or movement, not a fast, forced, and jerky one. Focus on stretching the shortened tight muscles, not the ones that already feel loose. You should have a decent mix of static stretching and ballistic stretching. An example of static stretching would be like bending over at the waist and trying to touch your toes for 10-15 seconds. Ballistic stretching would be like doing arm circles.

As always, if you are not sure of what stretches to do or for how long, consult your physician to avoid injury.

So much truth in this! So many people do not stretch enough. Teenage boys going through growth spurts especially! I teach karate and have seen so many students get hurt because they don't stretch enough before starting class & then they're super sore the next day because they didn't stretch afterwards either.

For those with teenage boys (especially ones that are dealing with growing pains) please, please, PLEASE encourage them to stretch! I have seen boys grow one or two inches but struggled because they didn't stretch enough for their muscles to keep up with the bone growth. And then I've had students that have grown a foot in a year but were stretching constantly and they didn't have a single issue and retained their flexibility. It makes a HUGE difference!

*steps off soap box* sorry, this is one of my pet peeves when it comes to workouts. :p
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hello! Mom of two boys, ages 9 and 12. I've been on this losing weight journey for years. Lost 50lbs over the course of 11 years. I went from 275lbs and a size 24/26 to a size 14 and 214lbs. To be a "healthy" weight for the doctors, I would need to be 129. I'm going to keep plugging away and see where I get and will stop when I'm in a place where I'm happy.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Congrats and good luck to your kiddo! That is one heck of an achievement.
    KatieBaack wrote: »
    Congrats to your daughter, Mike! That's a fantastic achievement!

And don't worry about losing a week. I lose them here and there too - all part of being a parent. :wink:

Thank you. she is super excited and nervous. My wife more so than her I think. lol
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Got up at 5:30 this morning for a meeting. Blah. Been up since and didn't get to bed until 12:30 -01:00 last night. No bueno. One of my peeps gave me an energy drink. Normally I don't drink these, but I am really dragging and have to be able to drive home still tonight after shift. Ugh. Ready for this day to be over.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Finally feeling back to normal. I got a good nights sleep, which I desperately needed. This morning's workout was Hammer and Chisel-Max Hammer strength. One of my favorites from this program. 60 seconds or pre fatiguing the muscle, then following it up with a max weight heavy set. good stuff. What was your workout today?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    0yn8jf9p0c62.jpg

Celebrate your victories, no matter how small!

When I first got back in to taking care of myself, it was hard. I would bust my butt for an hour each day, sweating all over the place, getting nauseous, fatigued, sore and just completely wiped out. Day after day, week after week I would put myself to the test. And at the end of the month, I would hop on the scale and WHAT!!! I only lost 4 lbs!!! I was pissed! So I would go at it again. Day after day, week after week. And at the end of the month, I'd hop on the scale, and the same thing again. I couldn't understand, how could I be putting in all this work and recieve such little results? What was I doing wrong?

The truth of the matter was, I was looking at it all wrong. Instead of celebrating my victories, even though they were small, I was upset by them and almost discouraged. See, when you do that, beat yourself up because you don't feel that you can accomplish your goals, you are planting those negative thoughts in your head. And each time you react the same way, you're adding just a little water on that to help it grow and planting another one right beside it. Before you know it, you have a forest full of doubt, deception, and negativity in your head. You've lost all hope and thrown in the towel. Don't do that.

When I thought about my little successes positively, my entire mindset shifted and not only was I feeling great about myself, but I was lifting up others as well. Only 4 lbs? That 4 lbs dropped me down to 196. Then the next to 192. So on and so on until I hit my ideal weight of 175 lbs. They were little victories, but because I kept going, because I began to celebrate those small victories, they led to the larger victory of losing 25 lbs. I gained more confidence, and looked forward to the next opportunity to celebrate.

The next time you go to update your progress or goal, don't dismiss the small victory. Embrace it, and keep pushing on. You'll be glad you did.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Happy Monday. Today I started the Master's Hammer 30 day calendar. This is just half of the program I have done for the past 60 days. I wanted to see what it would be like to do just Sagi's half. We shall see how it goes.

How was your weekend? Mine was busy celebrating my daughters 15th birthday. A few more weeks and my other daughter turns 13. Yikes! Two teenage girls in the house.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Setting goals is crucial to achieving results, and can provide you with focus, motivation, and a means of measuring your progress.

If you haven't set them already, you can use these tips below to get started.

s0yvm4ywbdzv.jpg
  • Dustyhuff1
    Dustyhuff1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a mother of 5. I'm needing to lose weight, approx 60, for the first time in my life. My husband and I are doing rid somewhat together, which does help.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Dustyhuff1 wrote: »
    I'm a mother of 5. I'm needing to lose weight, approx 60, for the first time in my life. My husband and I are doing rid somewhat together, which does help.

How old are your kids?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    30 minutes of strength conditioning, followed by 2 miles of jogging! Today was a good day!
  • krissyskayla1018
    krissyskayla1018 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mom of 14 year old daughter going on 40 and son will be 17 this year when did my kids get so old I'm not!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Mom of 14 year old daughter going on 40 and son will be 17 this year when did my kids get so old I'm not!

It's seems to be happening faster and faster.
  • krissyskayla1018
    Options
    Sure does and I'm not ready! Not for me to get older and them to grow up! When did I become the adult?
  • krissyskayla1018
    Options
    I do not know how to put your words in a paragraph yet sorry MikePXstream
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    lol just because you get older doesn't mean you have to grow up :D
This discussion has been closed.