Weight loss for 19 year old girl

Hello everyone,

I am 19 years old. I am 5'7" and 140 pounds. I eat about 750-1100 calories a day and 30 grams of fat. However, I keep gaining weight instead of losing weight. I am on a swim team and practice for 2.5 hours a day and I run constantly. Why am I not losing weight. I have been battling this for three years.

Replies

• fitnessfreak2537
    fitnessfreak2537 Posts: 9 Member
    I track it on this app. I have my daily calorie limit set at 850 and it ranges between 750-1100. I track every single calorie, I obsess over it, it consumes my mind, so I know it is accurate. But I am just so ugly and so fat and I hate myself because I used to be so much thinner- weighing approximately 121 lbs and now I can't seem to get back down to that. I feel suffocated and trapped and I don't know what to do. I hate myself. I hate how fat I am and what I look like. I try to limit my eating but I can't and then I beat myself up relentlessly for failing .
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    You really need to talk to someone about this--whether it's your parents, your coach, or your doctor... You are legally an adult, but you need to take the first step in getting this sorted out before it becomes dangerous.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    There are so many things in your post and reply that worry me, OP. Please speak with a professional.
  • fitnessfreak2537
    fitnessfreak2537 Posts: 9 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You need to talk to a doctor about how you see yourself. Eating 850 calories and having 2 hours of swim practice per day is destructive. At 19 years old you are in the process of destroying your body and that will have long term consequences. Please go seek help.
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
    misskarne wrote: »
    OP, please book an appointment with a health professional IMMEDIATELY. You need to get help with your incredibly disordered thinking.
    I track it on this app. I have my daily calorie limit set at 850 and it ranges between 750-1100. I track every single calorie, I obsess over it, it consumes my mind, so I know it is accurate. But I am just so ugly and so fat and I hate myself because I used to be so much thinner- weighing approximately 121 lbs and now I can't seem to get back down to that. I feel suffocated and trapped and I don't know what to do. I hate myself. I hate how fat I am and what I look like. I try to limit my eating but I can't and then I beat myself up relentlessly for failing .

All of this is deeply troubling. 140 lbs is right in the middle of a healthy weight range for someone who's 5'7". Your very low calorie diet is both unhealthy and it's not providing you with nearly enough calories to fuel your swimming workouts, which is also very unhealthy. Equally concerning are the thoughts you have about yourself and your weight.

You're on a path that is both physically and mentally/psychologically destructive. Please speak to your doctor or a qualified therapist as soon as possible.
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You really need to talk to someone about this--whether it's your parents, your coach, or your doctor... You are legally an adult, but you need to take the first step in getting this sorted out before it becomes dangerous.
    It pains me to hear people speak so negatively about themselves.
    We have so many people in our lives who try to tear us down... But the only person who shouldn't be tearing you down is you. Self Love is a hard thing to learn OP and if i could see my 19 year old self the things i would tell her now as a 31 year old.. You are Young, and undoubtedly beautiful inside and out and smart and a person with qualities like that should definitely take charge of herself and learn to acknowledge and appreciate these things early on even if it means finding someone to talk to and teach you how to see these things.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    There are so many things in your post and reply that worry me, OP. Please speak with a professional.

^^^ thank you for the concern everyone. I am ashamed to get help and I don't want to become even fatter than I already am by going to therapy and being forced to eat more. I have to lose at least 25 pounds.

• JZygmunt72
    JZygmunt72 Posts: 262 Member
    edited March 2017
    OP it gets better. I took the same path as you when I in grade 11. I lost weight unhealthily similar to you, and i gained it back within 3 months . and then some. Ive been losing weight now moe slowly, and its more exciting that way. I really do hope you can seek help, and even tell a friend, maybe start with going with a friend to the doctor to make it less scary. I know its hard but you can do it. im not saying I dont have ups and downs still, I do very much but i recommend that you go get help
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited March 2017
    5'7" and 115 is a BMI of 18.0. That's not healthy for most people, let alone an athlete. Take a look at the women who competed in swimming events in the last Olympiad--none of them had a BMI that low.

Get help.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2017
    Losing 25 pounds would put you into the underweight category and you're already at a healthy weight. Getting professional help is nothing to be ashamed of.

Rather than lose weight, what about doing a body recomposition to focus on losing fat and gaining muscle? You eat at maintenance and start a progressive lifting program such as Stronglifts 5x5.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

You need to speak to your parents or doctor about having disordered eating.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    As a swimmer, I remember when I was in high school, I wouldn't eat lunch so I could be skinnier at swim practice. Swim workouts are tough. Most doctor's offices have dietitians that can help you get the right balance of what to eat to help you swim better. This will help you get the right balance of proteins and carbohydrates for your muscles. Then you will learn what foods turn to sugar and fat in your body. There are certain foods that can help your nails get stronger and your hair as well. I would try to find a doctor and ask about a dietitian. Not all foods are equal and this way you can make the best of your calories.

When you don't eat enough calories or the right calories, your body will store its own fat and go into protection mode. You cannot lose weight this way. This isn't what you want either. Take a step in the right direction. It will help your swimming and your weight.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    As a former competitive swimmer....I trained with a team that produced an Olympian in my team...you can't be competitive on that few calories.