What do you count as "water"?

Sorry, I'm sure this is posted somewhere but I can't find it...

If I have 8 oz of coffee, do I check off 1 water? What about tea, beer, wine, soup, etc?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I count coffee, diet soda, tea, watery veg...
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2017
    I was taught that besides water, tea and coffee only counts if you drink it plain, i.e. no sugar, no cream, no honey etc... All other liquids does not count towards the daily water intake. For my body that seems to be the accurate way of counting due to very tangible fluctuations whenever I go low on any of those three despite drinking/eating(e.g. water based soups) that should have compensated for the glasses of water/tea/coffee I have not had.

Personally I don't count the calories for tea since it's only 5 and I oftentimes are a couple of hundred below target.
  • If I drink it I count it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Ahanaz wrote: »
    I was taught that besides water, tea and coffee only counts if you drink it plain, i.e. no sugar, no cream, no honey etc... All other liquids does not count towards the daily water intake. For my body that seems to be the accurate way of counting due to very tangible fluctuations whenever I go low on any of those three despite drinking/eating(e.g. water based soups) that should have compensated for the glasses of water/tea/coffee I have not had.

Makes no sense whatsoever. They're still composed of 99.9% water. If I put steak sauce on my steak, do I no longer have to log it as a steak because I put something else on it? Of course you still have to log and account for the calories if it's a calorific drink, but the fact that it has calories doesn't mean that it doesn't contribute to your hydration needs.

Spot on.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    wine
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    I drink distilled or purified water with Great Value Sugar Free Drink Mixes and it works quite well.
    Failed too many times in the past to fail again because of hydration.
    I count my 4 1/2 liter bottles of water everyday its just that its got flavor in it.
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Makes no sense whatsoever. They're still composed of 99.9% water. If I put steak sauce on my steak, do I no longer have to log it as a steak because I put something else on it? Of course you still have to log and account for the calories if it's a calorific drink, but the fact that it has calories doesn't mean that it doesn't contribute to your hydration needs.

As I mentioned, for my body that is how it works. It may be different for anyone. And sure liquid in general should count, but the body is a funny thing, and does not follow logic. It may just be one of those things that differs from person to person. The question was "What do you count as water?" So there is no need to go to attack and be rude or angry about how I count MY water.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    I don't keep track of my water but it includes coffee, tea, water, coke zero, fruit juice, sports drink ...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    cbl40 wrote: »
    wine

I love you!
  • frankpappalardo
    frankpappalardo Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks all! This is helpful. I hope to get to a point where I don't have to count, but for now I want to shoot for that magic 8 cups and see what happens. From my experience, if I only drink when I feel thirsty I fall way short of that, even if I do count coffee.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Water.