Help settle an argument?

Options
porcelanmermaid
porcelanmermaid Posts: 60 Member
Me and my fiance have been arguing about dishes for years. Who should do the majority of the dishes?
The one who does all the cooking?
Or
The one who doesn't cook?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I'd say the, person that isn't the; busiest and/or most active! If I had, a desk job & my Fiance was a construction worker, he'd be responsible for none of; the chores in our home!
  • jlewis326
    jlewis326 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In my house its the person who doesnt cook does the dishes
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    In our house I do the cooking and my wife does the dishes. If she cooks (which she never does) I do the dishes.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The one who does not cook does the dishes, although the one who cooks should at least put away leftovers and help dry hand washables.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Work should be split even. If one say does cleaning, laundry, out door work (mowing etc.) and the other only has to cook and do dishes (it's not that hard really these days because it the dishwasher that does the work) that's pretty even.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Who 'should'? Both people should...

Before we got a dishwasher, I would cook and wash up and husband would dry as I prefer washing.

Now we have a dishwasher husband usually stacks it and we both empty it
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Unpopular answer.... you should do the dishes OP
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    At our house I cook, hubby washes dishes and teen dries dishes. (We don't own a dishwasher)
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    mandymay01 wrote: »
    I do all the cooking, cleaning, yard work, and work two jobs. Save your fight for something important. When you do get into a fight, just play with your boobs..fight over..you win

Wow really? Your significant other is lucky

• federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live with my mum and sister (21 yo) so it's not the same that with a partner, but in my house it's usually depending on a somewhat fair distribution on the workload and on one's individual schedule.
    For example if I have to leave the house right after lunch someone else will do the dishes regardless of who cooked, or if my sister has cleaned the room we share I will do the dishes. If my mum is super tired, doesn't matter if we made the dinner, we will also do the clean up.

The one thing I hate though is "working" while someone else is sitting and watching me. if I do the dishes, I expect other people to either leave the kitchen or to help me out even in an easy way (handing the dishes to me, put in the fridge the bottle that was on the table..)

in general if one is cooking the other one should do the majority of the clean up because in this way both contribute. I also think that in a couple it's important to feel that there is fairness in this kind of stuff because it avoids bitterness, so maybe you can try to set up rules!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mandymay01 wrote: »
    I do all the cooking, cleaning, yard work, and work two jobs. Save your fight for something important. When you do get into a fight, just play with your boobs..fight over..you win

if you're happy with that, then its all good.

i wouldn't be which is why we share all the cleaning, i cook and he does all the outside stuff.

to each their own.
  • EricNewark
    EricNewark Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    We alternate here and there but for the most part we both clean up after dinner together and *kitten* that the kids should be doing it instead. Lol
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Paper plates ....Problem solved
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    wash up your own dishes. Or if you are cooking for someone then you cook, they clean. Assuming everything else is even, like work etc

But if they are working and you arent, then the person not working should do the lions share of chores.

If you are both working, i guess then it would depend on how active or mentally draining your work is.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In my house, the neighbour does our dishes lol
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    well i do most of the cooking. my wife gripes when i do the dinner dishes, claims that since i cooked i should not have to do the dishes, claims she should do them on the nights when she cooks too. she is ok with me doing up the breakfast and lunch dishes, most of them are my mess anyhow. i wash up all my prep bowls boards while cooking.

the kids are grown and it would take days to fill the dishwasher with just us two so we both hand wash them.

what wife in her right mind would gripe if her husbanddid the dinner washing up? mine of course is not in her right mind as she has been married to me for 28 years. :)