Recommendation for low sugar yogurt

Options
Cynsonya
Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
Hi all! I'm trying to drastically reduce my sugar intake from processed foods.

Any recommendations for tasty low sugar yogurts that do not add artificial sweeteners?
Preferably Greek.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Steer clear of "blended" or custard style varieties. I just go with Chobani of Fage. The sugar content you see on the label is natural sugar (found in dairy) and added sugar for flavored yogurt. Labels aren't required to list added sugar separately yet.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I just buy plain greek lowfat and add whatever I want to it. truvia, honey , or cool whip light
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I usually eat plain, but Siggi's is really good if you absolutely must have a flavored one. Most of the cups run about 11 grams of total sugar, and some of that is just the lactose naturally present in milk.

Really, though, you're better off by buying plain yogurt and stirring in some of your own honey or jam. You can control the amount that way, and most people don't add as much sugar as they would get by eating a flavored yogurt, since they actually see the sugar going in.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    There are two products we use:

Greek Gods Whole Milk Yogurt, plain, and Siggi's Whole Milk Icelandic Skyr, also plain.

We add our own sweetness in the form of fresh berries or fruit, or a drop of honey or real maple syrup.

Best there is...

(Don't bother with no-, lo- or 'reduced' fat stuff...eat the real thing, just eat less)
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Oikos triple zero yogurt and it's not bad.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Fage Plain - I like either 0% or 2%. Even with other plain yogurts, check the labels!! All you really need in yogurt is milk and bacteria - anything else is just a useless additive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fage plain
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    fage total plain
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Oikos triple zero yogurt and it's not bad.

OP - this has artificial sweetener though......and chicory root (ugh! for me).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Any recommendations for tasty low sugar yogurts that do not add artificial sweeteners?
    Preferably Greek.

Plain yogurt. As far as I know, the flavoured ones all have added sugar or fake sugar.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Since plain yogurt is being mentioned, Noosa makes a very delicious plain yogurt.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Preferably Greek.

Plain yogurt. As far as I know, the flavoured ones all have added sugar or fake sugar.

If you don't mind adding some sugar, find a jam you like (or fruit and/or honey) and add however much you like.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

Preferably Greek.

Get bulk plain greek yogurt from Costco, Kirkland brand. 10c, 0f, 23p. Great macros.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat Siggi's nonfat vanilla for breakfast 5 days a week, and I LOVE IT. 14g protein, 9g sugar.

I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt a lot, too, mostly as substitute for mayo and sour cream.
  • ellenfleischman
    ellenfleischman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i eat oikos triple zero-what is chickory root?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I just eat Fage 2% plain.

Me too. Or 0%, depending. The sugar is about the same. I add more sugar in the form of berries, usually, however.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Stonyfield Whole Milk Plain.

For me: Add strawberries and sliced almonds.

For my kids: Add bananas and vanilla.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Also- if you go for flavoured yogurt, get the "non-fat/lowfat" version (they typically add a LOT less sugar to those to keep the calorie count lower).