Do I need to eat some of my exercise calories or all 1200 of my calories

I am 201.5lbs and I need to lose 30 menopause lbs.

I am swimming competitively and have 1200 calories a day. I get an extra 1200 calories or so a day since I swim 60 - 90 minutes. I don't ever take all of those calories. Should I take some? I may take 100-300 extra calories those days. But should I try not too?

Here is what I eat during the day:
Breakfast (before swimming): fruit bar - 220 calories - 8 g protein - 33 g carbs
Snack (after swimming); smoothie - 310 calories - kale, fruit, p butter powder, tumeric, ginger, chia, flax seed, purple v8 (1/2 cup)
lunch: 1 cup quinoa, broccoli or veggie, pea protein and cashew milk or egg
dinner: 2-3 servings veggie and lean meat or fish
occasional snack: 2 cups whole grain popcorn

tons of water all day
maybe a cup of green tea
maybe a tbsp of olive oil

Replies

• suehavener
    suehavener Posts: 2 Member
    As long as you are full and satisfied, I think I would avoid eating all of the extra calories. It seems like you are eating a good variety of fruits and veggies and protein. I would say you are on track to reach your weight loss goal and doing it in a healthy way!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    When you're using the absolute most minimum calorie goal, which you are, I ALWAYS recommend to eat at least a portion of your exercise calories back. You need to give your body the fuel it needs to function properly.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    eeejer wrote: »
    you are not burning 1200 calories in an hour.

lol hadnt even noticed this
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    800cal/hr for would be a very impressive output - how are you estimating that?

But yes you should eat a reasonable amount of your exercise calories.
    Your rate of loss over a period of weeks is the best guide - simply adjust based on results.

Would question if 2lb a week is a good goal though, what's the rush?
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    If I'm not hungry, I don't eat more. Doesn't matter if it's exercise calories or not, i don't feel an obligation to eat when not hungry just to meet an arbitrary number.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    I put in my exercise in MFP and it gives me the calories back. It gives me 900 calories for 60 minutes for the intense swimming, which seems rather high. Then it gives me the rest of the calories for the 30 minutes of moderate to light swimming.

Thanks.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If I'm not hungry, I don't eat more. Doesn't matter if it's exercise calories or not, i don't feel an obligation to eat when not hungry just to meet an arbitrary number.

Just because you aren't hungry doesn't mean you don't need to fuel your body. Not meeting your calories and nutrients can lead to a higher rate of muscle loss, as well as a host of health concerns.

My doctor doesn't advise force feeding myself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I put in my exercise in MFP and it gives me the calories back. It gives me 900 calories for 60 minutes for the intense swimming, which seems rather high. Then it gives me the rest of the calories for the 30 minutes of moderate to light swimming.

Thanks.

That sounds like a massive over estimate.
    Yes you should eat reasonable exercise calories but take entries in the database that rely on perception of effort rather than measurable data (distance, speed...) with a pinch of salt.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Thank you Faithful_Chosen. I like your explanation. I have made this change as a lifelong change in my diet, not a "diet" to lose weight for a short period of time.
    Because of my MS, I am eating foods that reduce inflammation and flare-ups. I would rather eat healthy than take more meds. I would love to get off of some of my migraine medication as well (quinoa is great for migraines).
    I have waited two years trying to lose weight and to no avail.
    I used to be a highly competitive lake swimmer and go to nationals for swimming. I want to do that again and I realize that is only going to take time.
    Although, I wish the weight would just drop away, I understand that that is not the healthy way to do it.
    I am constantly thirsty (my meds give me dry mouth). I drink tons of water and know my weight fluctuates throughout the day from water weight.
    I will add back 50% of the exercise calories it gives me with a balance of carbs and protein and fat.
    Thank you all.
    BTW, I have noticed some improvement with my swimming as well. That is a long road...
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I agree re the overestimation. I swim 60+ minutes a day at a fast speed and only get 500 calories back. Which I then eat. Nom.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Not being hungry is not the same thing as getting adequate nutrition though. That "arbitrary" number (1200) is based on nutritional minimums.....if you want to fuel your basic body function with existing lean muscle mass it's your choice.

I want to lower my overall body fat %.....but that's me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Thank you Faithful_Chosen. I like your explanation. I have made this change as a lifelong change in my diet, not a "diet" to lose weight for a short period of time.
    Because of my MS, I am eating foods that reduce inflammation and flare-ups. I would rather eat healthy than take more meds. I would love to get off of some of my migraine medication as well (quinoa is great for migraines).
    I have waited two years trying to lose weight and to no avail.
    I used to be a highly competitive lake swimmer and go to nationals for swimming. I want to do that again and I realize that is only going to take time.
    Although, I wish the weight would just drop away, I understand that that is not the healthy way to do it.
    I am constantly thirsty (my meds give me dry mouth). I drink tons of water and know my weight fluctuates throughout the day from water weight.
    I will add back 50% of the exercise calories it gives me with a balance of carbs and protein and fat.
    Thank you all.
    BTW, I have noticed some improvement with my swimming as well. That is a long road...

Thanks.

I want to highlight I used to be a highly competitive lake swimmer and go to nationals for swimming for the people who are questioning your calorie burn.

We are of a similar weight and I get 630 calories an hour for Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort. Your 1200 calorie burn for 60 minutes of intense plus 30 minutes of moderate swimming does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me.

I only lake swim, and am limited to the summer. I eat 100% of my calories back. This does not impede my weight loss.

Definitely eat at least 50% of your swimming calories back.
  • kshama2001
    I agree re the overestimation. I swim 60+ minutes a day at a fast speed and only get 500 calories back. Which I then eat. Nom.

What's your weight and height?
  • kshama2001
    mitch16 wrote: »
    mfp is known for overestimating calories burned. For a 200 lb person, swimming laps (not at race pace) for an hour burns maybe 600 calories.

She's doing 60 minutes of intense plus 30 minutes of moderate.