Cardio in the am or pm?

Options
Hi guys, I just wanted to know of your experiences on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing waking up into morning or doing cardio in the evening. I have heard both pros and cons and just wandering what do you guys think. Any suggestions? Thanks dave

Replies

• zorrocat
    zorrocat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally, cardio is best for me first thing in the morning on either an empty stomach or a cup of coffee. When I run later in the day, it usually makes me feel a little nauseous, even if it's been a few hours since my last meal.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes that big of a difference... I might do cardio once a week or so unless I am training for something like a spartan race
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As an insomniac, I prefer to do cardio either in the morning or during my lunch hour. Working out at night, be it cardio or lifting, tends to interfere with my sleep.

ETA: If it's a morning session, I don't eat beforehand. If it's a midday/afternoon session, it's usually 1.5-2 hours after I've eaten.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I prefer at least 2, preferably 4 hours from when I last eat until I do cardio. Otherwise its like a bowling ball in my belly. I've never had issues running fasted in the mornings and rather enjoy that setup. Try whichever works for you. Everyone is different.
  • Kollane
    Kollane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If I haven't eaten at least an hour before, my heart rate will be sky high and I'll feel extremely weak. Oh yeah, my hands also start shaking. And I might feel like I need to throw up.
    My cardio tends to be quite intense (Bodycombat), but for me to attend 8.30 class, I'll have to have a banana and skyr (dairy product) before 7.30 at latest.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Weekdays, I perfer afternoon. When I did ride in the morning, I perfer to be fasted. Stop during it because I can't stay warm even in summer (start time between 6:30-7:00). Rides average 90 minutes.

On weekends, I perfer morning and eat before. I normal up before 6:00 but don't start riding until 8:00. Weekend ride are normally 3+ hours on Saturdays and 2 on Sundays.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if you are a morning person or a night owl. I prefer not to know what a sunrise looks like, so I do late workouts. I'm also one of those odd sorts that likes a big meal before I workout. Being hungry has never gotten me through the last mile or one more set.
  • stephannie6699
    stephannie6699 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    in the morning :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If we're talking impact on weight loss........................it doesn't matter. If we're talking on what works best for an individual, then only the individual will know.

I split my cardio up with a jog/walk in the morning and then either a walk or bike ride later in the afternoon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's personal. Try at several times and see what/when YOU like. Then go with that. Kinda like asking which is the best way to cook a steak. I like mine rare, others medium rare, others medium etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dave8644 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I just wanted to know of your experiences on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing waking up into morning or doing cardio in the evening. I have heard both pros and cons and just wandering what do you guys think. Any suggestions? Thanks dave

There is no One True Way(TM) on this.

Personally my midweek runs tend to be in the evening, generally 6-10 miles, sometimes up to 15. I'll snack at about 1600-1700 before that.

At weekends I'll do my longer runs, generally back to backs from 13 miles upwards, so I'll generally eat an hour or so before heading out. That gets me beyond the 90-110 minute point, where I find a bit of fuelling can be helpful.
  • Rax1974
    Rax1974 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    In the morning your Glycogen is supposedly less so you get more bang for your buck. I do Steady State right when I get up. Takes about 10 minutes to kick in then I feel great!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    dave8644 wrote: »

It's personal preference...there are some benefits in regards to endurance and performance when you train fasted at times. I do some of my training fasted and other times not.

In regards to losing weight (fat), it makes no difference.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If your doing low intensity cardio you preserve glycogen stores and burn primarily from fat stores in the mornings. This type of cardio is considered to be the "best" type to perform in a fasted state (in the early morning) or depleted state (post workout). In my experience, even with moderate or high intensity cardio, early morning fasted state cardio works best for me but really it's a question of preference & everyone has their own opinion. Just do what you feel works the best for you...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If your doing low intensity cardio you preserve glycogen stores and burn primarily from fat stores in the mornings. This type of cardio is considered to be the "best" type to perform in a fasted state (in the early morning) or depleted state (post workout). In my experience, even with moderate or high intensity cardio, early morning fasted state cardio works best for me but really it's a question of preference & everyone has their own opinion. Just do what you feel works the best for you...

Not so much:
    http://weightology.net/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-an-undeserved-good-reputation.html/

In regards to the OP, the best time to do cardio (or any workout, for that matter) is whenever you'll do it most consistently. Workouts you do at a time that fits into your schedule are better than missed workouts from trying to squeeze them in at a supposed "optimal" time. Personal preference is the most important consideration.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Not so much:
    http://weightology.net/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-an-undeserved-good-reputation.html/

In regards to the OP, the best time to do cardio (or any workout, for that matter) is whenever you'll do it most consistently. Workouts you do at a time that fits into your schedule are better than missed workouts from trying to squeeze them in at a supposed "optimal" time. Personal preference is the most important consideration.

The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't. I disagree with his hypothesis but respect it. There are several studies that show fasted state and depleted state cardio burns more calories. I never stated that it burns fat as no cardiovascular exercises actually burn fat - only raises metabolism and allows you to be in a caloric deficit state so you lose weight. There are many other factors that go into fat loss...
    I just let the OP know what worked best for me as he asked & you parroted my main advice that personal preference is the most important consideration.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Not so much:

The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't. I disagree with his hypothesis but respect it. There are several studies that show fasted state and depleted state cardio burns more calories. I never stated that it burns fat as no cardiovascular exercises actually burn fat - only raises metabolism and allows you to be in a caloric deficit state so you lose weight. There are many other factors that go into fat loss...
    I just let the OP know what worked best for me as he asked & you parroted my main advice that personal preference is the most important consideration.

I think you missed all the links to studies supporting that opinion.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't.

Read through it again. See all the words in blue letters? Those are links. Links to studies. Studies are sometimes considered evidence.

Krieger isn't just some hack "blogger" spouting half-cocked, unsupported layman opinions like so much of the dreck on the internet. From the "About James" section of his page:
    James Krieger is the founder of Weightology. He has a Master's degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master's degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN.

James is a published scientist, author, and speaker in the field of exercise and nutrition. He has published research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. In his previous lay publication, Weightology Weekly, he wrote over 70 articles per year covering the latest science in a manner that was friendly and easy to understand. James is also the former science editor for Pure Power Magazine, and the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, both publications that delivered scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In addition, James has given over 75 lectures on fitness-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals, and has been a speaker at major events such as the AFPT Conference and NSCA Personal Training Conference. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 20 years, and has written over 500 articles. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based, scientific approach to body transformation and health.

For more information on James's background and experience, view his curriculum vita.