Replies

• Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm still sleeping on the couch (Voluntary, holding my ground) when I go home after graveyard. Day 3. It started with mashed potatoes. One day I decided to cook up some Salisbury Steak, and she said she'd get the sides. Well in her end result she ask " is this enough". and it only looked like 2 servings for a family of 4. I say "babe feel free to whip up a large batch, I'm bulking"
    And just like that several things were said immediately after that expressed how she felt about my constantly changing diets and it just opened up everything else. although it pisses me off how she easily brushed off something that meant a lot to me, I still miss my best friend.
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    That is tough... I'm sorry you're stuck on the couch, voluntarily or not. Being with someone who's lifestyle differs from your own, can be rough. I guess the potatoes just threw her over the edge. Although, if all I had to worry about were my partner's dieting habits and what he wanted food wise- life would be grand.
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My Honey is a really, REALLY lean guy and has always been just a tad under weight. When I started digging into fitness and my diet he thought, "yea! Let's do it!". Which for him means....eating more than usual!! Ugh! And his dinner plate is full of extra delicious fats and goodies.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    DTMFA :wink:
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My husband is very supportive but he will still bring fast food in the house and offer up bites to me which is frustrating sometimes but ultimately it's up to me to refuse the food and keep on keeping on. :)
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

some of these stories are truly upsetting. i hope everyone finds support somewhere, even if it is an anonymous message board. you do whatever you need to do to make yourself healthy and happy. and remember that those people, including SOs, who are unsupportive, passive-aggressive, or just simply *kitten* are dealing with their own self loathing. their reactions are truly about them, not you.
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    ^^^That. I feel really obligated to share this after reading some of these (not all of them, obviously, but some red flags are flyin' in some). Please get out and get help if you recognize yourself in this situation:

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2016/12/11/how-to-distinguish-between-normal-marital-arguments-and-abuse/
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find this thread. My fiancee is far from supportive so far. I started working out daily (in the morning) and eating much better January 1. Most of the time I get that "we are not going to eat that way when we are married" or just snide comments about it. The worst part is hearing that I am making her feel bad about herself because I eat well and workout.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I read these and I get little glimpses of how I may be slightly unsupportive sometimes. I don't try to be... I definitely do the "ahh but do you have to go to hockey? can't you stay home with me instead" thing a lot... haha at least I *think* he thinks it's cute... and I mean he goes anyway lol.

However I think this might be an example of a person who is a sabateur out of love... I just wanna see him more! Hahaha - what can I say... I'm clingy? And it doesn't cross my mind usually that hockey is his form of exercise.
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories. I am sorry to hear that some of you are having a difficult time. My advice is to go on your fitness journey for YOU and no one else. You can't force people to change their habits or characters. Maybe in time, you will inspire and motivate them to join you. I don't know. I am hoping in my case, that my husband will try to get more active when the weather warms up.
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    @Brans34 Thanks so much for sharing your story. It must have been difficult and confusing to go through the conflicts you did, and good job making the hard decisions. It's so hard to recognize when things cross the line--especially if you're dealing with body or self esteem issues. I really admire your determination and ability to make clear-headed decisions. You rule. :smiley:
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband hates going to the gym and I find it hard to find the want to go by myself. A new gym opened and I joined for the classes and to try and lose some weight. I've been there 3 times in the last week and found that I really enjoy it. I could use some extra motivation logging my food. Seeing my dietician has helped but I still fall off the wagon on the weekends. I'm slowly getting to the point where I want this for myself. I'm down about 10 pounds since Christmas and just started the exercise regimen this past week. How do you all stay motivated when the support may not be there? I try not to let it bother me but I do worry about his health too (more than he does).
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    @jaenders06 That's awesome progress you have been making! Keep it up! For me, I just keep pushing myself. Getting healthy should be for you first. Hopefully in time, your hubby will come around.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @oceanvixen79 I totally get it. Mine eats constantly but he can cut back for a week or so and lose 10lbs. I don't get it and it's frustrating. I try to workout with him and it's just complaints and it doesn't motivate me. I prefer to have a buddy to keep pace with but I don't want a negative buddy. He does try to support me but then it gets to the point where it's like he makes me feel selfish because he has to help more with the housework because I want to make time for the gym.