Recommendation for low sugar yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I add jam or apple butter to plain yogurt. Do I get bonus points for making my OWN plain greek yogurt? (I bought an instant pot that has a yogurt making function, so now I make my own for fun)
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Also- if you go for flavoured yogurt, get the "non-fat/lowfat" version (they typically add a LOT less sugar to those to keep the calorie count lower).

It's best to check the nutritional info each time you buy as most brands' nonfat/low fat yogurt have MORE sugar than their full fat yogurt counterpart. The average flavoured nonfat/low fat yogurt has 17g sugar and the average full fat has 11g sugar...but again it varies by brand.

In comparison plain full fat Greek yogurt with no added sugar clocks in at 6g sugar.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Why buy pre-mixed yoghurt at all??? Buy plain and add whatever your mood feels like. The night before I put a cup of frozen fruit in a jar and leave it on the counter to thaw. In the morning I add plain greek yoghurt, stevia, and sometimes 1/4 cup homemade granola. Perfection! :)
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do 0% Fage and add fresh blueberries & honey.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I add jam or apple butter to plain yogurt. Do I get bonus points for making my OWN plain greek yogurt? (I bought an instant pot that has a yogurt making function, so now I make my own for fun)

Yes, you get bonus points lol I used to make my own yoghurt when my kids were little but haven't done it for years. I remember it being kind of thin. How do you make thicker Greek yoghurt? Do you just use greek as a starter instead of regular? Or do you do something else?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    In comparison plain full fat Greek yogurt with no added sugar clocks in at 6g sugar.

You can't say how much sugar it has without giving a size. Twice as much of your unnamed and unsourced size of miscellaneous plain yogurt would have 12 g of sugar.

Anyway, if you are trying to promote the idea that full fat has less sugar, that's false.

Taking Fage plain, one container of the smaller size, it has 8 g of sugar for full fat, 2%, and 7 g for 0% (makes sense, as nothing is added). The 0% is less because it weighs less (probably more water to compensate for less fat, I dunno), so if you adjust so we are comparing 200 g of each, they all have 8 g of sugar.

But what about flavored? All three are again the same: 16 g (I compared strawberry flavor, and from the ingredients some of this is from strawberries and some from some added cane sugar).

The person who said the yogurts aimed at people who are calorie-cutting will have less sugar has a point, though, since some of the more "diet" oriented flavored yogurts use artificial sweetener. One example is Dannon Light and Fit Greek Style, which for about the same size as the flavored Fage has only 7 g (fruit plus the sweetener instead of fruit plus the sugar).

Anyway, obviously if one wants to reduce sugar from yogurt one should go with plain yogurt and not add anything with a lot of sugar. (I personally add fruit and also think worrying about the amount of sugar from plain yogurt and fruit is not worth my time. I like 2% and 0%, so see no reason to get full fat, but if someone prefers full fat just make room for the calories, excellent! Just don't pretend there's some sugar-related advantage.)

Agree it's best to check the nutritional information.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, you get bonus points lol I used to make my own yoghurt when my kids were little but haven't done it for years. I remember it being kind of thin. How do you make thicker Greek yoghurt? Do you just use greek as a starter instead of regular? Or do you do something else?

I'll give bonus points too, because I want to make my own. I bet it would be fun and am interested to see how it compares. This is something I've been thinking about for a while and may finally do it this month.
  • mrowsers
    mrowsers Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thicker greek style yogurt is simply strained to remove more of the liquid. I've had varying success with the thickness of home-made. I usually use 1% milk, heat to almost boiling, let cool until warm to the touch, add a spoonful of an earlier batch or store bought yogurt per 2 cups of milk and a splash of vanilla. Stir, put in container and set in warm water for about 12ish hours. The longer you let it sit the thicker it will get and the 'tangier' it will be. Then pour off any extra buttermilk and stick it in the fridge. If you want it thicker, let it sit longer and put in cheesecloth and let hang for a while so more liquid drips out.
    Some people say that lower fat milk doesn't work, I generally use 1% and have had it be quite thick, although there can be quite a bit of variation. I've also heard you can mix in powdered milk to make it thicker, but I've never tried it myself.
    It's a lot cheaper than buying it - costs about the same as milk, plus you can determine the sugar and fat content.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Also- if you go for flavoured yogurt, get the "non-fat/lowfat" version (they typically add a LOT less sugar to those to keep the calorie count lower).

It's best to check the nutritional info each time you buy as most brands' nonfat/low fat yogurt have MORE sugar than their full fat yogurt counterpart. The average flavoured nonfat/low fat yogurt has 17g sugar and the average full fat has 11g sugar...but again it varies by brand.

Come to think of it...my comparison was for non-fat yogurt being lower sugar than low-fat. (Full fat yogurt has become somewhat of a specialty product not available in many mainstream brands).

I had expected that the non-fat would have more sugar to make up for less fat (this is the case in most food products). But, at least for the generic brands at the 2 main stores I shop at, it's the other way around. The non-fat had roughly half the calories of low-fat in both instances - I checked the label since 1-2% milkfat sure as hell wasn't that big a difference, and sure enough the low-fat had WAY more sugar (and was quite a bit further up on the label) than the 'non-fat'. (I don't think either store had a generic full fat version).
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have found Siggi's Vanilla to be the lowest grams of sugar for a flavored yogurt.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I just buy the plain stuff, and sweeten/flavor it myself using stevia or stevia based brown sugar blends, a little cinnamon and pow.. yum.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    For those wondering, I make my homemade yogurt into Greek by putting it in cheesecloth in a strainer and straining out a bunch of whey. Takes a few hours in the fridge. Then I use the whey in other things (it subs for buttermilk nicely in pancakes or bread). It's fun (for me) and cost effective, but nutritionally it's the same as any other "milk and bacterial culture" yogurt on the shelf. It may have somewhat more active probiotics as it's fresher.
  • NanCaudill
    NanCaudill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit greek has 7 grams of sugar across all flavors with 0 fat and 12 grams of protein and it tastes good
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I just eat Fage 2% plain.

Fage 2% with honey is incredible.
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I think you should get extra points. :) And I LOVE apple butter.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I went on a yogurt buying spree today and am trying 6 new brands. 2 of which were named here multiple times.