Grunting -- how important is it ...

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Some female tennis players think it is vital to have a good grunt.......
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IF the grunt helps you lock in your core, then do it. But don't make noises just to impress.

Yelling, moaning, etc is just ostentation.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I've started to involuntarilry grunt as my skwats and deadlifts get heavier. It can be anything, a set of 8, a set of 3.

Resisting the urge to mention soiling ones pants... >:)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I grunt and make faces at the very end of a rowing machine sprint. It's involuntary and not very loud. I hope.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile, the weight isn't going back up without some sound coming out of my mouth. My third set of deads last night, there was a grunt to get that 10th rep up. But not every rep and not most days.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've always equated grunting while lifting to "kiai" in marital arts. In Japanese martial arts specifically, one of the reasons for doing kiai is to focus your energy (ki) behind your strike. It also focuses your attention/awareness on the moment of impact.

Also in tennis.

I used to do European style fully armored combat, and some did this, some didn't. I know it would happen spontaneously for a particular shot or block requiring focus.
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I grunt, no shame, it's not something I can help. When you're struggling to push up those final couple of reps in your squat set, some sound is going to come out of your mouth. Do I scream like a wildebeest like the guy in that video you're quoting/ganking? Of course not. Do I totally make weird faces and "MMPH" noises when pushing increased weight? Heck yes.

I pride myself in being in good company with folks like Gabreil Mamani and her famous "Beeker face:" https://www.instagram.com/pumping.fe/?hl=en
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'd rather involuntarily grunt than fart
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

or pee.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It's super annoying to the people on the machines. Some noise, yes, sure you are picking up some darn heavy stuff but there are some guys who sound like they made up a new language and it's at TOP VOLUME.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't make sounds or faces when lifting, guess my 360 pound deadlift doesn't count.

The faces! I'm just discovering the different ones I make. Overhead presses make my lip move involuntarily (apparently this is common and has some scientific explanation). And now that my squats are feeling really heavy I make a kind of grimacing face sometimes. No sounds from me, though.

I do the lip thing too. Always the left upper that picks up... but I also make an involuntary "ssssst" sound occasionally on bench and squats...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    A grunt will come out of me when it's a really heavy lift but it's never on purpose. It just happens. I have my headphones in and I'm sure it turns heads when it happens in a relatively quiet gym (I lift at 6am at a rec center), but I don't really pay attention to it.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

or pee.

I've done all of the above

Yep. :/
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have never graduated to grunting...I am, however, doing post graduate work in grimacing