Just not that hungry

Hi All!! Ive been doing My fitness pal for about 6 weeks and this is my first time posting something. I have a quick question. Has anyone felt on a regular basis, just not hungry much after starting their healthy lifestyle. I used to eat such bad foods all the time, everyday and I use to be so hungry in-between meals even with so much more being eaten. Since Ive started counting calories and eating all healthy foods, Im just not that hungry between meals.I can hold off forever for my next meal. A lot of times I have to eat when I just don't feel like it, so Im not too low under my calorie limit. Anyone else felt like this? Thanks!!

Replies

• intaced
    intaced Posts: 1 Member
    I have been doing this since Christmas. Drop the weight and drop the carbs. Last three weeks, I have only been eating two meals a day. A "brunch" at 10:00am or so, and supper at 6:00pm. Cravings have gone away. There are days when I do not feel hungry enough to fill out the calories, so I don't. Other days I eat over the limit. I watch the weekly totals. Do not feel as if you need to eat right up to the limit every day. Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you feel full. Wait the half hour after a meal to see if you are still hungry. I have lost twenty pounds, two inches off my waist. If you need fillers, use something like Boost for carbs and Premier Protein for protein. They are small volumes, and add what you might be lacking.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Asides from cwolfman's point on the negative side, your lack of hunger can also come from positive, effective management of calories.

For example many people can train themselves to eat breakfast and get hungry in the AM when they don't, but there are loads of people who don't eat breakfast and feel perfectly fine. Conditioning. Better management, you name it.

I have conditioned myself to feel fine, not hungry, when I don't need to eat. How else would you be successful in long term without this? It cannot be a constant struggle. Not sustainable.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    What's your daily calorie target?
  • dmc4blessings
    dmc4blessings Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks guys! I guess by the end of the day, I look at my calories left and I have like, over 400 left out of my 1400. I start thinking I will mess up my weight loss, so I'm looking in the pantry for food (healthy of course) just to eat calories. I would rather skip the food sometimes. I also, think I am eating foods with really low calories. I eat tones of vegetables, That don't add up to nothing and then like 4-5 ounces of chicken and that to me doesn't add up to a lot of calories. Then Im like what else can I eat. Its a pain.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    You're not alone. Eating high protein with fat in one meal can provide an extended period of satiety, and even drinking water often can prevent hunger signaling. You can even distract your mind from thoughts of food by being busy with exercise.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Calorie dense foods always help me. Peanut butter, avocado, nuts .. doesn't take long to hit calories and if you're like me, these things keep me nice and full without eating a bunch. Love my veggies, but I can only eat so much in a sitting.
  • dmc4blessings
    My daily calorie target is 1390. I hope Im posting in the feed correctly. I don't see a link on each persons comment that I can post to. Im just posting after the last comment posted
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Thanks guys! I guess by the end of the day, I look at my calories left and I have like, over 400 left out of my 1400. I start thinking I will mess up my weight loss, so I'm looking in the pantry for food (healthy of course) just to eat calories. I would rather skip the food sometimes. I also, think I am eating foods with really low calories. I eat tones of vegetables, That don't add up to nothing and then like 4-5 ounces of chicken and that to me doesn't add up to a lot of calories. Then Im like what else can I eat. Its a pain.

Veggies are good...lean sourced protein is good...but there's more to proper nutrition than these. Eat more calorie dense foods...get more fat in your diet.
  • dmc4blessings
    I do eat a lot of meat, eggs every morning for breakfast, lots of fruits and veg. Good bit of fiber each day. I don't eat any bad food whatsoever, No sweets, fast food, or dining out food and I only eat the amount of carbs I am given with the program and even with them, I try to limit. So far my weight loss is going down (for now).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Veggies are good...lean sourced protein is good...but there's more to proper nutrition than these. Eat more calorie dense foods...get more fat in your diet.

Plus starchy carbs if you're not eating them - a side of rice/pasta, potato/sweet potato, carb dense fruit

Going for calorie dense foods will reduce your volume a lot
  • dmc4blessings
    edited March 2017
    I do eat brown rice a couple times a week. I really miss my reg pasta as a side. I just can't get past the taste of whole wheat pastas. I have tried multiple brands.

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I do eat a lot of meat, eggs every morning for breakfast, lots of fruits and veg. Good bit of fiber each day. I don't eat any bad food whatsoever, No sweets, fast food, or dining out food and I only eat the amount of carbs I am given with the program and even with them, I try to limit. So far my weight loss is going down (for now).

There's no, such thing as; a bad or unhealthy food as long as you don't have, a(n) medical, ethical or religious reason for not, consuming something; everything in moderation's healthy!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

You can eat lots of different things .........

Vegetables and chicken are great (albeit typical) "diet" foods. You don't have to be that restrictive. You don't have to eat just "diet" foods. After all, losing weight is just the first step. Do you see yourself maintaining your weight on just "diet" foods?

Eat regular foods too. Not in the same portions (of course). I eat rice & pasta......but I measure portions. I eat potatoes and popcorn.....but I measure portions. Most days I will leave enough calories for a treat. Then I have ONE serving and log it. This will help me when I get to maintenance.
  • TeaBea
    I do eat brown rice a couple times a week. I really miss my reg pasta as a side. I just can't get past the taste of whole wheat pastas. I have tried multiple brands.

The nutritional difference between brown rice and white rice is minimal. Eat what you like. Whole wheat pasta has a bit more protein, and more fiber....but you are getting plenty of that from veggies. Eat what you like.

Weight loss isn't about eating "perfectly." It's about making improvements.....hopefully lifetime improvements.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I'm with you on whole wheat pasta, it just doesn't taste good to me, so I eat the normal stuff, just in small portions. I find normal pasta very filling anyway.

Advice on which foods keep you going and which don't can be super useful, but don't take it as gospel. We are not all the same.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member

There's no, such thing as; a bad or unhealthy food as long as you don't have, a(n) medical, ethical or religious reason for not, consuming something; everything in moderation's healthy!

Of course there are "unhealthy foods". There are foods that have little to no nutritional value. You can become malnourished even if you are extremely overweight if you eat nothing but garbage.

Now, in terms of losing weight, you can eat this junk and still lose weight-if you eat them in moderation. You might not feel or look so great, but only calories matter in terms of weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    crb426 wrote: »

Of course there are "unhealthy foods". There are foods that have little to no nutritional value. You can become malnourished even if you are extremely overweight if you eat nothing but garbage.

Now, in terms of losing weight, you can eat this junk and still lose weight-if you eat them in moderation. You might not feel or look so great, but only calories matter in terms of weight loss.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for a 100% junk food diet. So in a "balanced" diet, a piece of chocolate is fine, it's not "unhealthy."

We can strive to eat perfectly "healthy" (100's of definitions) - 100% of the time as we are losing weight. However, losing weight is just the first step. Maintenance is often a more difficult step as evidenced by the overwhelming % of people who gain the weight back (90-95%).

We all need to find a balance. Labels of unhealthy & "bad" foods aren't helpful. I don't need to feel guilty because I had an ice cream bar.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    crb426 wrote: »

You have to look at dietary context as a whole. When people say "there are no bad food", what they're alluding to is that you can include some pleasurable foods in your diet, not "eat nothing but junk" as per your strawman.

Also, in this case it would appear that the OP has a rather myopic view of good nutrition.