Quest Bars and Lenny and Larry's Complete Cookie

Options

Replies

• domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    An LL snickerdoodle cookie is something I will eat on a saturday morning as a breakfast....after i've spent an hour killing myself on the exercise bike. Because it has protein in it and tastes sinfully good after being heated in the microwave, i justify the indulgence because of the 16g of protein which I am wanting to take in after a heavy hardcore session of exercise. I pair it with a cappuccino and....YUM.
    I have seen so many people furious at the deceptive nutrition information. A whole one is really more a meal than snack.
  • AtlasDidShrugs
    AtlasDidShrugs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    White Chocolate Macadamia Nut. Snickerdoodle is a close second. Never tried heating it though. Quest, yes. Elevates the Rocky Road Quest to a new level.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Jesus Christ. Given how low their labelled protein is for the kcals involved, they can't even manage to meet that?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,756 Member
    Options
    White Chocolate Macadamia Nut, Double Chocolate Chunk here too. Snickerdoodle is ok.
    I tried Birthday Cake and it tasted like Play-Doh.

What! Bugger it for a game of soldiers, I'll just go get a black-and-white cookie from the local deli and get my protein from meat and fishies instead.
  • domeofstars
    Options

Thank you for this! It makes me angry to read it. The next time I have 360 calories to splurge on it won't be a lenny and larry's cookie. What liars! I will go the bakery and just get a regular cookie! Much cheaper than these 'protein' cookies too
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Thank you for this! It makes me angry to read it. The next time I have 360 calories to splurge on it won't be a lenny and larry's cookie. What liars! I will go the bakery and just get a regular cookie! Much cheaper than these 'protein' cookies too

It's actually really common in the supplemental food industry. Proteins tend to be expensive; carbs and fats are cheap as hell. Companies always have an incentive to lie on labels for this reason.

No matter how big the suit, it still won't ding the money they'll have made from a combination of dishonesty, people who believed the labels, and those who won't ever read about the suit, and therefore never know that something is off.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried heating Quest bars or Lenny and Larry's cookies in the microwave? They taste so much better heated...

I haven't eaten a quest bar for months... The new formula is gross imo. When I did eat them, I preferred them frozen
  • domeofstars
    Options

It's actually really common in the supplemental food industry. Proteins tend to be expensive; carbs and fats are cheap as hell. Companies always have an incentive to lie on labels for this reason.

No matter how big the suit, it still won't ding the money they'll have made from a combination of dishonesty, people who believed the labels, and those who won't ever read about the suit, and therefore never know that something is off.

How do you know for sure that its really common in the supplemental food industry? Are there any other cases like this where companies have been caught lying about the protein content?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Quest bars in my supermarket yesterday (I live in NZ, figured we didn't have them here, but they were just hiding in the health food section instead of being with all the other protein bars in the supplements area). Initial bite was fine, though overly sweet, lingering aftertaste of artificial sweetener was ick, yuck, gross.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

How do you know for sure that its really common in the supplemental food industry? Are there any other cases like this where companies have been caught lying about the protein content?

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein-bars for just a few examples. There are likely a lot more, but that's what they've managed to test so far.
  • domeofstars
    edited March 2017
    Options

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein-bars for just a few examples. There are likely a lot more, but that's what they've managed to test so far.

Thanks for the info! I see that Oh Yeah! bars didn't rank very well, I love those too. Maybe i will just stick to quest.
  • domeofstars
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I just discovered Quest bars in my supermarket yesterday (I live in NZ, figured we didn't have them here, but they were just hiding in the health food section instead of being with all the other protein bars in the supplements area). Initial bite was fine, though overly sweet, lingering aftertaste of artificial sweetener was ick, yuck, gross.

Where in NZ do you live? I visited NZ in December last year. I went to Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington and Rotorua. I loved the Afghan biscuits there. They were sooooo good. I live in Sydney by the way :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Where in NZ do you live? I visited NZ in December last year. I went to Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington and Rotorua. I loved the Afghan biscuits there. They were sooooo good. I live in Sydney by the way :)

You don't get Afghan biscuits in Sydney? We have them in Perth.... Maybe they skipped over Sydney on the way from nz :p
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I'm in Wellington - foodie heaven!!
  • domeofstars
    Options

You don't get Afghan biscuits in Sydney? We have them in Perth.... Maybe they skipped over Sydney on the way from nz :p

No i have never seen any Afghan biscuits in Sydney:(
  • domeofstars
    Options

I'm in Wellington - foodie heaven!!

Oh wow it really is. There is a New World supermarket there that blew my mind with food!!! Also a fish and chip shop called The Chippery that sells the best chips i have ever had in my life.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Quest was slapped with one (think they reformulated now though), MusclePharm was slapped with one, USP labs has been sued multiple times... so many supplement companies.
  • kristinann308
    kristinann308 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BLEH to both.
  • phlegmfatale1
    phlegmfatale1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i get down with the LL cookies. they're damn good though the sugar / calorie content is kind of high. but sometimes when you have a hankering it's worth it and this way you can choose a slightly healthier option without sacrificing taste. def not an every day thing.