lowest calorie cereal? (UK)

Options
Hi does anyone know what cereal has the lowest calories that you can get in the UK? I usually shop at Asda, tesco and Aldi.

Many thanks.

Replies

• michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't know about lowest cal, but I think the healthiest (low salt and sugar content) are Shredded Wheat (prob the best) and Weetabix (I eat these most mornings and love them). I used to eat Bran Flakes before I found out they had a ton of sugar, plus they don't fill me up very much for the 30g portion size.
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    36g of Quaker Oats original with skimmed milk is 189 calories. It's filling and satisfying.
  • Maree_
    Maree_ Posts: 65
    Options
    I can't believe how little 30g is! i bought the special k cereal to go and it was pointless there was so little of it!!!

Thanks i will get some weetabix!
  • binsylad
    binsylad Posts: 99
    Options
    I would plump with the Oats....they lower cholesterol too
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    36g of Quaker Oats original with skimmed milk is 189 calories. It's filling and satisfying.

Oh, I also second the porridge, the most filling for sure!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I love oat-so-simple - but only because I'm too lazy to add my own 'extras' to my porridge.
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would have porridge most days through the winter with a banana or some tinned prunes and ground linseed - made with water but with a splash of milk when cooked. In the summer (that's a joke!) I've been having fruit and yoghurt, or lately I've been having Nestle Cheerios - I find they are lovely with fruit or raisins in.
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, when I started weight watchers I was having puffed wheat - it's mainly air so you can have a big bowl for not many calories - not particularly filling though
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but probably the one that tastes like cardboard or dust :(
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    lately ive been making a large chocolate oat pancake it fills me up for around 4 hours it has :

30g porrage oats
    15g chocolate chips
    25g plain flour
    2tsb of sweetner
    water (to stick it together)
    and a flavour such as cinomen or vanilla

all i can say is LUSH
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    lately ive been making a large chocolate oat pancake it fills me up for around 4 hours it has :

30g porrage oats
    15g chocolate chips
    25g plain flour
    2tsb of sweetner

all i can say is LUSH

Can you tell me aprox # of calories for that?
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options

30g porrage oats
    15g chocolate chips
    25g plain flour
    2tsb of sweetner

all i can say is LUSH

if you use these mesurments its 298calories well worth a big breakfast. you need to fry i use one cal spray..they will stick if you dont use something :)

Can you tell me aprox # of calories for that?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    http://www.thegoodgrainco.com/products/puffed-wheat.php

this stuff, with splenda and skimmed milk. A portion is 15g because its so light, thats a decent portion, but even if you doubled it its still low cal, but for a big bowl.

just unsweetened sugar puffs tbh
  • tasman11
    tasman11 Posts: 79
    Options
    I can't believe how little 30g is! i bought the special k cereal to go and it was pointless there was so little of it!!!

Thanks i will get some weetabix!

Whole Grain! Whole Grain! Weetabix are great.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Porridge - it keeps you filled up!

My serving of porridge is 354 Kcals, including golden syrup and ground cinnamon. I work out in the morning, so probably expend a lot of my energy between breakfast and lunch. I have no need to eat before lunch, have tried other cereals, but I end up peckish about 11.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    isnt 354 cals worth of porridge and golden syrup probably one of the highest cal cereals lol?
    and chocolate pancakes??

tasty im sure, but the OP did specifically ask for the lowest calorie ones, not just for general breakfast ideas
  • catalame
    catalame Posts: 40
    Options
    Bran Flakes are definately up there- great for me with my oat allergy :-) x
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    isnt 354 cals worth of porridge and golden syrup probably one of the highest cal cereals lol?
    and chocolate pancakes??

tasty im sure, but the OP did specifically ask for the lowest calorie ones, not just for general breakfast ideas

Granted it is, but it fills me up, so I don't have any mid morning snack. Toast, with jam & butter is about 250kcal- for one slice, shreddies, 40g with milk is 209kcal- and 40g is a tiny bowl! I was suggesting an alternative, because low calorie doesn't necessarily mean the best fuel for your body first thing.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Hint for those people who think 30g is a small portion: get smaller bowls. Seriouy, this is plenty to fill you up: it just looks small!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    I do agree with the above poster. If you are active then breakfast is one of the best meals for loading calories... And the evening is the worst time.