Kicking the diet soda habit - how long?

Options
13»

Replies

• jfrederick99
    jfrederick99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I myself have decided to kick the diet soda habit and have settled on fizzy mineral water and LaCroix water. I realized that I feel satisfied with the fizz and can curb the diet soda cravings that way.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    I have been drinking coke zero every day for 5 years and it has taken a toll on my teeth (I had cavities!) and I am worried about my bones in the future too.

I quit cold turkey and two weeks later I still want to drink coke.

So for those of you who have quit: how long until the "cravings" stopped?
    What was helpful?
    And for motivation, what were some benefits of quitting?

that depends on you.. How many cans/bottles of soda do you have perday?
    what ever it is , just do 1 less for one week.
    Then on week 2 - do 2 less, until you can live off of 1 can of soda per day.
    after that try sparkling water, of some shape or sort.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've given it up several times. Sometimes I get huge cravings that go on for weeks, and sometimes no cravings. I'm currently off Coke Zero with no cravings. I always go cold turkey - otherwise I just can't stop. This time I'm doing plenty of healthy eating and lots of water. I've got lots of healthy snacks to nibble on and Coke Zero isn't really entering my thoughts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For motivation: I've read that diet drinks devastate your gut's microbiome, leading to all kinds of problems.
    I've also read that the artificial sweetener can spike your blood sugar. That makes no scientific sense initially, but evidently there's something to it.

I quit last Fall, and it took at least a month to get over it and begin to really like the taste of water. Now I enjoy drinking water with my meals, and even after my meal, while I'm waiting for the family to stop eating.

Buy yourself a variety of nice glasses to drink from. For me, it really makes a difference if I like my glass.

This might be of interest to you.

https://chriskresser.com/how-artificial-sweeteners-wreak-havoc-on-your-gut/?utm_source=ChrisKresser.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7d56abf8a-ee9c9ca3ac-95902905&utm_content&utm_campaign=ee9c9ca3ac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_09&mc_cid=ee9c9ca3ac&mc_eid=56daae840f
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have been drinking coke zero every day for 5 years and it has taken a toll on my teeth (I had cavities!) and I am worried about my bones in the future too.

I quit cold turkey and two weeks later I still want to drink coke.

So for those of you who have quit: how long until the "cravings" stopped?
    What was helpful?
    And for motivation, what were some benefits of quitting?
    Why are you worried about your bones? And people get cavities usually because of poor oral hygiene.

Personally I've drank diet soda for over 25+ years and neither cavities or weak bones have been an issue due to good oral hygiene and good stress on my bones so they stay strong.

However if you want a good benefit from quitting it, you save money on buying it and................well that's about all I can think of.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I refer you to the previous answers as to why Coke zero isn't good for your teeth and bones.

As far as personal experiences go, my dad has smoked for the past 40 years and he doesn't have cancer. Does it mean there is no causal effect between smoking and cancer?

I smoked a pack a day for nearly 25 years. It was just pure dumb luck i didnt get some horrible disease because of it.
    My neighbour is a heavy smoker, and his excuse not to quit is "I would have got cancer by now". He's a nurse in a hospital too, idiot! He's not even 50 yet.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I pretty much quit soda a year ago. The non diet kind, though. I still have it at parties and stuff. I still crave it when I hear a can open. But if I drink a can on its own, I get sick afterwards, and it never tastes as good as I expected. I drink a lot of water, though, and have learned to enjoy it, I also love mildly sweet tea
  • toothgal5
    toothgal5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Pepsi-aholic while in dental school. Crazy I know. I did cut back after school was finished but still drank waaay too much. I had terrible headaches from the aspartame and I knew u had to stop drinking it. I also had read many new studies that said diet soda is bad for the waistline. I stopped buying it last jan/16 and haven't bought any since. I might have one glass if I'm out for dinner but I don't crave it like I used to. It takes some time to get over the cravings but u can do it. Just don't buy it anymore. If it's not in the house u can't drink it.
    Btw- u should never brush your teeth immediately after consuming pop or any other acidic beverage. Rinse with water instead until your mouth has a chance to neutralize.
    As far as your sensitivity is concerned you can use a sensitivity toothpaste but don't rinse with water after you brush. Spit out the excess toothpaste and go about your day or nite. If you rinse with water after you will rinse away all the medication in the toothpaste. It works best if it has some time to absorb.
    You could also try using a fluoride rinse 3x/wk before bedtime. It will help strengthen your enamel and with the sensitivity.
    Hope this helps.