The "whoosh"

Options

Replies

• labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I would "whoosh" every month if I was consistent with eating within my points (on Weight Watchers). I would lose .6 one week, then gain 1.2, then lose 3.6 and then lose another 3.4!
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help:-) I'll keep plodding along
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

Edit: I also have what I call the rubber band effect--after a "whoosh," I'll gain a pound or so back for no apparent reason. There's still a net loss, but it's frustrating. Maybe something to do with the body trying to re-balance water/electrolytes? But all of the explanations so far are just speculation.

I think this is just regression to the mean - in other words, you just hit the low end of your weight fluctuation range and so you are likely to see an upward movement back to what you could think of as your "average weight" - the middle of the range.

Could be. I'd love to know why it happens, though. It's not fat--we don't gain or lose fat that quickly, and I'm in a deficit. I wish there were studies on this! It bothers me to not know how it works.

It's called water and waste.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I lose my weight only twice a month in two big whooshes. Last month one of them was 3lbs which considering I'm 140lbs is a lot. My deficit is such that I should be losing 4lbs a month which I do but only in a couple of big chunks.
    Very weird.
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have this. Stall for 2 maybe 4 weeks (despite consistent deficit), body looks lumpy and fat feels more flabby, then whoosh 2-4 pounds go.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Pretty good article by Lyle McDonald about whooshes.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My experiences are anecdotal, and I don't do daily weight tracking (although I weigh daily as a checkpoint mentally). It seems one week a month (maybe during ovulation, not right before TOM), I kind of hold on to some of the weight and I either maintain or lose very, very little. Then the following week, it's back to business as usual and I make up for the week before plus the weight loss for the current week. I don't know why it's that way, it just is.

I try to remind myself not to get frustrated during "fat week" and that it's just a part of the process. I am 99.9% at a deficit every day (no real "cheats" or unaccounted food, an occasional day at maintenance or slightly over every few MONTHS), so there's no real reason why I wouldn't continue to lose.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Last week I gained 1.5lbs (ovulation week); this week I have lost 4.5lbs in 5 days. Not sure its a "whoosh", more a hormonal issue that i can predict using HappyScale. Still irritating as *kitten* though.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some it is probably the fat cells retaining water to replace the lost fat until the overhydration from exercising goes away, glycogen replenishment yada yada. Truly I feel like the whooshes come into play with people who unconsciously or intentionally calorie cycle. I can dehydrate myself and force my weight down during ovulation and my cycle to account for the fluid retention due to hormones, or I can leave it be. If I'm in a steady closely monitored calorie deficit I can lost extremely consistently .1 a day, .5 a week or whatever my calories are set to. However I don't force dehydration so what seems like a whoosh to me is just getting rid of bloating after my cycle and my true loss coming though to show itself once the water weight mask comes off. Also since I cycle calories and eat more for PMS lol and eat more on exercise days my gut may just be fuller with food than another day where I simply ate less volume, and had I weighed I would've seen a lower low.
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did not experience this for the first 10 months where I lost every week with very few exceptions (of course sometimes more and sometimes less but consistently) but now it happened to me twice in the last 8 weeks so it seems to be real for some people because my eating/lifestyle has not changed.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    maisiba wrote: »
    I did not experience this for the first 10 months where I lost every week with very few exceptions (of course sometimes more and sometimes less but consistently) but now it happened to me twice in the last 8 weeks so it seems to be real for some people because my eating/lifestyle has not changed.

Or it could just be your immune system fending off some virus. You wouldn't even have to have otherwise noticeable symptoms for your body to retain a little extra water for a while.
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Or it could just be your immune system fending off some virus. You wouldn't even have to have otherwise noticeable symptoms for your body to retain a little extra water for a while.

Idk. Once would make sense for that, perhaps even twice but if the last week is any indication, I've just started my next "cycle" of not losing for a 2-3 weeks and then dropping more than a standard 1-week loss. It might not be long enough yet to be 100% sure but it looks like an emerging pattern to me right now.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The other underrated factor is that your scale may be genuinely messing with you. Mine claimed I had gained 5lb this morning, and it stuck to this through 3 retries. I was suspicious, so I picked it up and shook it, then tried again. This time I had only gained 2lb (within my usual fluctuation). Digital scales can be temperamental beasts. Whatever method it is that they use to zero themselves produces some very weird effects when it goes wrong.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well, I'm male so I don't get hormonal cycles, but I've been losing weight in clusters of 2-3 lbs at a time. I'll go for a couple of weeks hovering around a set weight, then it comes off over a couple of days. I have no idea why.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    maisiba wrote: »

Idk. Once would make sense for that, perhaps even twice but if the last week is any indication, I've just started my next "cycle" of not losing for a 2-3 weeks and then dropping more than a standard 1-week loss. It might not be long enough yet to be 100% sure but it looks like an emerging pattern to me right now.

The point is that there are more things than what you eat that can cause your system to retain or release things at various rates.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For those who do experience the "whooshes", does your body feel/look 'lumpy and squishy' AFTER the apparent 'whoosh'?