Options

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    furmickc wrote: »
    Look at distance runners. Non of them have thick legs.

I run ultras. My legs are thick

I guess I meant athletes.

I wish I could show you a picture of my son's ex-girlfriend. She was on the track team at Stanford, so I guess she qualifies as an athlete. She is six feet tall, very, very lean, with very, very muscular thighs. Not just solid and well defined, but big and muscular.

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

What's an athlete?
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just saying, distance runners, in general, have skinny legs. Distance running is conducive to skinny legs, so you'll have the skinniest legs your going to get, given your diet and genetics, by doing distance running.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

I wish I could show you a picture of my son's ex-girlfriend. She was on the track team at Stanford, so I guess she qualifies as an athlete. She is six feet tall, very, very lean, with very, very muscular thighs. Not just solid and well defined, but big and muscular.

Probably wasn't a distance runner though.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

What's an athlete?
    a person who is proficient in sports
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    akoivisto wrote: »

Need a shovel? Diggin' a hole there. :)

Yea, thanks. China, here I come.
  • Sara1791
    Options

What's an athlete?

Like someone who runs ultra marathons
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Just saying, distance runners, in general, have skinny legs. Distance running is conducive to skinny legs, so you'll have the skinniest legs your going to get, given your diet and genetics, by doing distance running.

So I run 80-100km a week training for marathon and ultra season and come by the long skinny legs the OP references naturally- thigh gap country all the way. My LDR training has actually bulked out my quads and calves though... there goes that leg slimming theory lol

OP if you have legs like Misty you are golden baby!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

what in the fresh hell is this?

Are you effing implying ultra runners are NOT atheletes?

you are trolling us- you must be. Because otherwise- you're out of your gaddamned mind.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

GOD THE AMOUNT OF WRONG WITH YOU IS SO INSANSE. JESUS.H.CHRIST.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hey, I enjoy "Classical Stretch" by Miranda Osmande-White who was a former professional dancer. She may be on a local PBS program in your area if you are in the USA...DVR it. She has a 30 minute program focused on balanced, lean, long muscled. It's appropriate for almost every level.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I will say that I have a body similar to yours: long legs, short waist. I'm 5'7" with a 34" inseam where my 6'1" husband has a 32" inseam. I've become a long distance runner over the last year, just finishing my 1st marathon on Sunday. I typically run 40 to 50+ miles per week, depending on where Im at in my training. As a runner, I lift to keep my legs and body strong but I do higher reps /lower weight. Body Pump class has worked well for me. I have the long slender legs with muscle definition without the bulky thighs. It probably has more to do with genetics than long distance running though because I see runners of all shapes and sizes.

Personally, I think women's legs that have big muscles with definition are very attractive. If you lose the extra weight, I'm sure your legs will look fantastic without trying to make them look skinnier

In regards to the "athlete" comments, short stocky runners with strong powerful legs seem to rule trail running. Think of a running back in football type body. I think their low center of gravity helps them to easily change directions as needed and the strong legs help them power up hills with ease.

Also, "elite" runners that do sprints and short distances will normally have very strong big muscular legs because you have to go so quick in a short amount of time, you need the muscular power to make that happen. "Elite" runners who do long distance running, such as marathons, typically have muscle definition without the bulk. (I agree that anyone who is running ultras is definitely an athlete!!)
  • mgalovic01
    Options

What's an athlete?

No, like someone who's one of the top finishers.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

So I run 80-100km a week training for marathon and ultra season and come by the long skinny legs the OP references naturally- thigh gap country all the way. My LDR training has actually bulked out my quads and calves though... there goes that leg slimming theory lol

OP if you have legs like Misty you are golden baby!

Your picture says it all. Skinny legs.
  • Sara1791
    edited March 2017
    Options

What's an athlete?

1. That's a very narrow, specific, and unusual definition of athlete.
    2. If that is your definition of athlete, and if you only "meant athletes" then there was no point in suggesting distance running to the OP.

edit: 3. or maybe you were trying to suggest that OP become a top finisher of ultra marathons in order to achieve slimmer legs? Cuz that's not crazy at all.
  • mgalovic01
    edited March 2017
    Options

What's an athlete?

2. If that is your definition of athlete, and if you only "meant athletes" then there was no point in suggesting distance running to the OP.

edit: 3. or maybe you were trying to suggest that OP become a top finisher of ultra marathons in order to achieve slimmer legs? Cuz that's not crazy at all.

When I said look at distance runners, I was thinking Olympic athletes, not just people who run races anyone can sign up for, and finish in whatever time. I know there are other factors involved such as diet and genetics. Are you arguing that distance running is not conducive to skinnier legs?
    But, Pilates might be better.
  • Sara1791
    Options

What's an athlete?

When I said look at distance runners, I was thinking Olympic athletes, not just people who run races anyone can sign up for, and finish in whatever time. I know there are other factors involved such as diet and genetics. Are you arguing that distance running is not conducive to skinny legs?
    But, Pilates might be better.

I'm just trying to follow your breadcrumbs.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The good news is there's no such thing as lifting too heavy for a woman. Yay!

Also, if your legs look like Pink's I'm incredibly jealous because her whole body is bangin'.

I don't know that there's a way to shape your legs how you want because genetics is such an important factor. I've always been bottom heavy, so the last place I lose weight is my thighs. I also have thick calves that I've just accepted. There may be a way to get things exactly as you want, but it probably involves a very specific diet and exercise with lots of consistency so may not be maintainable.

Reduce your body fat and keep working your legs it honestly what I would do. Women don't get "bulky" because we don't have the same amount of testosterone that men do, so we don't bulk up that way. I have found that if I put on a lot of muscle but don't lose fat I might look what some people consider "bulky"... but I figure I can also beat them in a strength test so it doesn't matter.