Pear-shaped ladies, how long did it take for you to lose the inches around your hips?

Options
MrsPinterest34
MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I know we lose weight around our hips and butts last. Also genetics plays such a huge factor. When you finally reached your target weight loss goal or before then, how long did it take for you to significantly reduce the inches around your hips? How many inches did you lose? Please share your height, starting weight and goal weight. Incase you are wondering if you are pear shaped this calculator is helpful http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html

Everyone keeps telling me I'm never losing my hips. I disagree, but so far I'm losing inches in my upper body but not much around the hips and butt were most of my fat is stored. I'm short 5'2' which I think makes it harder.

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" & 47, also a pear. When I finally stuck to eating at maintenance consistently the inches came off steadily. I went from 137-118 in about a year ( I set loss to .5 lb a week).
    At first I lost 9 lbs but went on vacation & gained some back, had to start over. I was at 130 lbs then. My hips were 40". In 5 months I got down to 116, hips 36.25".
    I was strength training the whole time. The muscle I've built in my shoulders balances out my hips. I'm now maintaining at 120 lbs and hips are 36.5"

You can't change your bone structure if your hip bones are wide but you can lose excess fat from them. Also, building muscle in your shoulders can give you a more balance look, for sure.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Also, I lost inches from all over at the same time. But, I had more fat on my lower body so as I lost I still looked bottom heavy until I gained muscle in my upper body.
    I really chased fat loss to lose my hip/butt fat but got so lean on top that I lost my already small, 34B bust. I purposely gained a little fat back so I can have a bust but still be fit. I'm probably at 20% body fat and happy with that.
    I cannot overemphasize how great a progressive lifting program is for looking & being fit.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped here. Lost around 50lbs and went from size 14 jeans, to current size 4s. I had to get my bmi towards the lower end of the healthy range though, to finally get the 'oomph' in my lower half to move. Currently sitting at a bmi of around 20.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have dropped a dress size on my bottom half after my first stone dropped off, which was around 11-12 weeks into logging properly and about 14 weeks since I started making an effort to lose weight.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It depends on your starting weight but generally I've found fat loss is fairly evenly distributed. Looking at my measurements over the past year, I lost 5" in my hips, 4" in my stomach, and 4" in my bust.

I can relate to the feeling though, my hips are larger than the rest of my body so weight loss there doesn't seem as significant as weight loss in my waist and bust. I also think there's more size leeway in shirts than in pants, especially if you're a pear and your bust is proportionally smaller to begin with.

My recommendation would be to keep measurements so you can actually evaluate your overall loss. Eventually you can detect your rate and project when you might drop down a size.

Here's my spreadsheet if it's helpful:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17UY8h2iiWTVx2GUaeET3o4vPydJQBBk2Ne-IMBT1Ta8/edit?usp=sharing
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My cheeky answer would be...when I lost all the boob I had, the fat *had* come off my hips!

I've lost 8" around my hips, but I went from 34B to training bra, so there's that. Still have plenty to lose in the hip/thigh, but not sure there's anything left to lose up top, so here's hoping it'll come off from down under.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm much smaller up top than on the bottom. It takes like six months to lose an inch, if that.

I'm definitely a medium on the bottom but a small or extra small on top.

Pear shaped life haha
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a pear thing, but I've gotten proportionally smaller all over, so I still have a small waist and big butt, just less big. My goal is to build my shoulders to try and balance things out.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, starting weight was 185, about 42-37-42.
    Current weight is 142, and I'm down to 39.5-28.5-38.5 or so.
    Yes, I lost over eight inches off my waist and only two and a half inches off my hips. Unfortunately, that's just the way I'm built. I have big wide hip bones and short legs, and I can't do anything about it.

My final goal is just under 140, I'm not really aiming to go much below that, as I don't think it would suit my shape.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    8n9fi9yuom1p.png

This was about 6 months and 35 ish lbs down. I still have 70 ish pounds to go but you can see I'm very pear shaped.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I know we lose weight around our hips and butts last. Also genetics plays such a huge factor. When you finally reached your target weight loss goal or before then, how long did it take for you to significantly reduce the inches around your hips? How many inches did you lose? Please share your height, starting weight and goal weight. Incase you are wondering if you are pear shaped this calculator is helpful http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html

Everyone keeps telling me I'm never losing my hips. I disagree, but so far I'm losing inches in my upper body but not much around the hips and butt were most of my fat is stored. I'm short 5'2' which I think makes it harder.

I lost about 50 pounds the first time around, and while I lost a pretty massive 10 inches off of my hips... They were still very wide, even though I could feel the bones on both sides and there was no way another inch was coming off. My height is 170ish cm (Around 5'6 if you work in feet), starting weight was around 95 kg and lowest weight was 61.8. (210 to 135ish pounds). I lost the inches very slowly, to the point that my month-to-month measurement changes seemed frustratingly slow, but unfortunately I deleted the excel sheet that I kept all my measurements in so I don't remember exact numbers.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I didn't start measuring hips and waist until later on in my weightloss journey so I'm not 100% how many inches I have lost overall but what I can say is its been pretty much equal over time, started as a size 18 on top and 20 at the bottom, now I'm a 12 on top and 14 at the bottom. My shape is pretty much the same, its just shrunk.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I lost lots around my hips.I am 1m59 and my hips were 120cm in width I have thunderthighs :-)
    I am now at 90cm in my hips.

It took a long long time. The first loss was reasonably fast and then it stalled for quite some time (at least it seemed to me that it stalled) Real inroads were made when I got close to the upper limit of healthy BMI. I am now nearing my goal weight (middle of my healthy BMI and started weight training and running in the last year. As said in the NSV thread - For the first time in my life I am looking at my hips and thighs and consider them to be in the normal range
  • VVVeeVee
    VVVeeVee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My cheeky answer would be...when I lost all the boob I had, the fat *had* come off my hips!

I've lost 8" around my hips, but I went from 34B to training bra, so there's that. Still have plenty to lose in the hip/thigh, but not sure there's anything left to lose up top, so here's hoping it'll come off from down under.

my fear is i will lose all of the twins first before any fat leaves from the thunder thighs.
    this is not encouraging :(
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    rodwen89 wrote: »

my fear is i will lose all of the twins first before any fat leaves from the thunder thighs.
    this is not encouraging :(

I had to get very, very lean to lose my bust. Since sub 20% body fat was difficult to maintain for me, the girls are back but I didn't gain any significant fat in my hips or anywhere else.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    1ym16lspal7k.jpg

Here is my before and after. 4 years between the photos.
    Even though I am sitting in the first photo I think you can see how bottom heavy I was. It wasn't just pregnancy pounds. All the women on my mother's side have huge butts & hips.
    Now I'm glad for my pear genetics. I'm quite muscular and my butt & hips still give me curves now that I've lost a lot of excess fat.
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I never knew I was a pear until I went from obese to average. Suddenly I wasn't big all over, but had big hips...and for that reason, my big hips still kind of make me smile. ;)

I agree though, losing a cup size = much easier than losing inches in my bottom half.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" just dropped from 141 to 134 and I lost 2" in my hips, 1.5" in my waist, 0.5" in my bust, 0.5" in my thigh, 0.25" in my bicep. Your body will lose fat all over but you might notice it more in areas where you have more fat to lose. Weight training while losing will also effect how your measurements change.