Intimidated by the Amount of Calories I Should Burn in 30 Minutes

Options
mjb948
mjb948 Posts: 4 Member
So, I'm trying really hard to get serious with weightloss, but when looking at my exercise diary, my preset goal is to burn 408 calories in 30 minutes. How?! Also, I noticed that when I do weight training, the app doesn't calculate how many calories you're burning. I feel like I'll never achieve that goal! Help, please!

Replies

• missyvmg
    missyvmg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! That's quite a lot on one stint.... does it have to be in 30minutes? Any chance of splitting it up? You'll still get the calorie totals just not one one blast
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think you may be misunderstanding something in the app. What is indicating you have to burn a certain amount of calories in 30 minutes?
  • mtmurat
    mtmurat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've started going to a cycling class at my gym 4-5 days a week. Each class is about 50 minutes and I burn about 700 calories each time. I track it on my Apple Watch and use MFP to adhere to a 1600 calorie diet. I'm 5'11" and 210lbs- I'm losing a bout 2-3 pounds per week. Treadmill, elliptical, and 10K a day Fitbit steps just wasn't doing it for me.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't look at exercise burn, it's a distraction. Focus on just a little under maintenance for fat loss. Focus on workouts to build lean body mass for health and for a pretty body when the fat is gone. Simple. We all have to tune out the distractions that don't really get us anywhere.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I think you may be misunderstanding something in the app. What is indicating you have to burn a certain amount of calories in 30 minutes?

^^This.
    This app doesn't assume you'll burn any calories from exercise at all, so you must be misunderstanding something that you're seeing. Can you clarify where you're seeing this?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mjb948 wrote: »
    So, I'm trying really hard to get serious with weightloss, but when looking at my exercise diary, my preset goal is to burn 408 calories in 30 minutes. How?! Also, I noticed that when I do weight training, the app doesn't calculate how many calories you're burning. I feel like I'll never achieve that goal! Help, please!

you can change the amount. you can also set it when you set your goals how much you want to burn in set amount of time. the setting is just an estimate like everything else. there are days I dont get as much exercise as it says.
  • mjb948
    Options
    Hi everything. Thank you so much for your input. Here's where I got the impression that I need to burn about 400 calories in 30 minutes.r60sa7ajrdw4.png
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can edit your goals to not have any calories burned ... this is how mine looks ..
    It got a number from your set up of your goals.

yz2s13ecipct.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi everything. Thank you so much for your input. Here's where I got the impression that I need to burn about 400 calories in 30 minutes.r60sa7ajrdw4.png

yeah,its an estimate too. you can either get 30 minutes in or burn 408 calories or whatever you want to do.but you really dont have to do that.my fitbit records all my exercise and syncs it so I dont have to. so I would just disregard this and if you want to work out work out. if not you dont have to.
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would try to not worry about it too much...but...have you tried kettlebell?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    That exercise goal is from what you put into your profile as the amount of time you planned to exercise, and MFP guessed how many calories that would be, based on your weight & other characteristics.

Most importantly, MFP does not use those exercise calories when it calculates the number of calories you should eat. So, if you don't get that many calories of exercise, but eat to your calorie goal, MFP's estimate is that you will lose weight.

The only thing it's used for is to show you whether you're getting as much exercise as you said you'd planned to get.

Strength training doesn't burn many calories, but is good for you in other ways. Most importantly for those losing weight, it helps us keep as much of our muscle as possible while losing, rather than losing muscle alongside fat. If you want to get the few calories that it does burn added to your exercise calories, log the amount of time using the 'Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)' entry from the exercise database, in the 'Cardiovascular' part of your log. You can log it in both places if you wish: Under cardio, log the mimutes; under strength, log the specific exercises.

At 183 pounds (starting weight), I'd often get 400-ish calories from a 45-minute spin class according to my heart rate monitor, so it's not a crazy-big number. But there's no need to hit it in order to lose weight, either.
  • mjb948
    Options
    I would try to not worry about it too much...but...have you tried kettlebell?

Yes, I have! Love them. Do you have tips/tricks to share? Totally open to suggestions at this point.
  • mjb948
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    You can edit your goals to not have any calories burned ... this is how mine looks ..

yz2s13ecipct.png

How did you do that? When I go in to edit my goals, the only thing I see I can change is the frequency of my workouts.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

I can burn around 200-250 in twenty to thirty minutes on my treadmill but I have to run some of it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options

yz2s13ecipct.png

How did you do that? When I go in to edit my goals, the only thing I see I can change is the frequency of my workouts.

Which version of the app are you using? In the Android version, I can change is number of workouts per week, and minutes per workout. In the web app, I can change those plus workout calories. In the phone app, I'm betting that changing the number or minutes for workouts will change the alleged calories, especially if what you do is zero out the goal if you don't want it.

But why do that? The exercise goal estimate is not affecting your calorie goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That exercise goal is from what you put into your profile as the amount of time you planned to exercise, and MFP guessed how many calories that would be, based on your weight & other characteristics.

Most importantly, MFP does not use those exercise calories when it calculates the number of calories you should eat. So, if you don't get that many calories of exercise, but eat to your calorie goal, MFP's estimate is that you will lose weight.

The only thing it's used for is to show you whether you're getting as much exercise as you said you'd planned to get.

Strength training doesn't burn many calories, but is good for you in other ways. Most importantly for those losing weight, it helps us keep as much of our muscle as possible while losing, rather than losing muscle alongside fat. If you want to get the few calories that it does burn added to your exercise calories, log the amount of time using the 'Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)' entry from the exercise database, in the 'Cardiovascular' part of your log. You can log it in both places if you wish: Under cardio, log the mimutes; under strength, log the specific exercises.

At 183 pounds (starting weight), I'd often get 400-ish calories from a 45-minute spin class according to my heart rate monitor, so it's not a crazy-big number. But there's no need to hit it in order to lose weight, either.

All of this, especially the point about MFP not using the number to set the calorie goal. It doesn't matter. Use it as a motivator and if you do exercise you get to eat back some of the calories. That's how MFP is set up.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

yz2s13ecipct.png

When you edit your goals, under fitness, you can change total weekly calories, workout per week, and minutes/workout. The "calories burned" daily goal is just the result of MFP dividing the total weekly calories you've said you want to burn by the number of weekly workouts you've said you want to do. MFP isn't really telling you to burn 408 calories in 30 minutes. You told MFP you wanted to do that when you set you total weekly calories, minutes per workout, and weekly workout goals.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options

yz2s13ecipct.png

Edit Goals ... I have the Premium version and use the Website on a desktop computer. This is how my edit goals screen looks before I click the edit button for exercise.

v40cj4g1ip8e.jpg