gaining muscle mass while continuing weight loss?

Options
I have lost abut 11 pounds on MFP in the last 4.5 months and I am satisfied with my progress so far. I still have another 7-8 pounds to reach my goal. Now I would like to decrease my % body fat and increase muscle mass. I measured at around 30% body fat which is not unusual for a woman my age (57). What is the best way to reduce body fat %, while building muscle? (is that even possible?)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Generally you're only going to be able to do one or the other.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If I'm being honest, based on your age, building muscle is going to be so tough unless you're a former athlete. Hormones are needed to build muscle and age is significant on how much you have to do it.
    That's not to say that you can't enhance the muscle you already have and still lose body fat.
    I would say lose the body fat and see what you look like. You may be surprised.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If I'm being honest, based on your age, building muscle is going to be so tough unless you're a former athlete. Hormones are needed to build muscle and age is significant on how much you have to do it.
    That's not to say that you can't enhance the muscle you already have and still lose body fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm really not looking to become a body builder or have washboard abs! I just want to lower overall fat for the health benefits and keep my bones strong by doing weight bearing exercise. I also don't want my muscles to atrophy a whole bunch as I age.
  • KrisJ125
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It can be done - - I'm 66 and I've done it - - but it's easier said than done for a guy, even harder for a woman.

The "secret"?

For me, it was eating a high protein diet based on a 40P/40C/20F macro at about 200-300 cals below my estimated TDEE (which was later determined to be about 150-200 cals too high for me, so my net deficit was actually only 50-100 cals) per day . . .

AND

engaging in a linear progressive weight lifting program doing only the 4 main compound barbell lifts - - squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press - - doing 3x5 or 5x5 sets/reps starting at 80% of my 1RM max and increasing the weight until the calculated 1RM (based on 3 or 5 reps) exceeded the prior 1RM and then, if I could actually do a 1RM at the higher weight, start all over again at 80% of the new 1RM for each lift.

Lost weight, reduced my %BF increased my lean body mass (LBM) and increased my strength based on real 1RMs achieved over 6 months.

Been in maintenance for the past 3 months and there have been very few changes since then, except for a further reduction in BF and increase in LBM contributing to my desired recomp at 160# net body weight.

Thanks for the constructive advice. It's good to know that other people have accomplished a similar goal and I will try to increase my protein and do weight lifting.
  • KrisJ125
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Recomp. Eat at or just below maintenance and if you haven't yet, start a progressive lifting program such as Stronglifts 5x5. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    KrisJ125 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It can be done - - I'm 66 and I've done it - - but it's easier said than done for a guy, even harder for a woman.

The "secret"?

For me, it was eating a high protein diet based on a 40P/40C/20F macro at about 200-300 cals below my estimated TDEE (which was later determined to be about 150-200 cals too high for me, so my net deficit was actually only 50-100 cals) per day . . .

AND

engaging in a linear progressive weight lifting program doing only the 4 main compound barbell lifts - - squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press - - doing 3x5 or 5x5 sets/reps starting at 80% of my 1RM max and increasing the weight until the calculated 1RM (based on 3 or 5 reps) exceeded the prior 1RM and then, if I could actually do a 1RM at the higher weight, start all over again at 80% of the new 1RM for each lift.

Lost weight, reduced my %BF increased my lean body mass (LBM) and increased my strength based on real 1RMs achieved over 6 months.

Been in maintenance for the past 3 months and there have been very few changes since then, except for a further reduction in BF and increase in LBM contributing to my desired recomp at 160# net body weight.

Thanks for the constructive advice. It's good to know that other people have accomplished a similar goal and I will try to increase my protein and do weight lifting.

I will second sgt 1372's approach. I'm 55 and following a similar macro nutrition approach and seeing great results with a mix of strength training (3 days/wk), cardio (2-3/wk), and yoga.

Keep up the great work and attitude!
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Eats lots lift heavy and lots of rest. Simple formula but Is going to be close to. impossible to build any kind of muscle while losing weight. You won't pack it on like your 20 but u can definitely still gain a bit. Cut the cardio
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is the sensible reply.

At 63 I know I cannot achieve a 1lbs a month muscle gain that someone half my age with proper bulking programming can.
    I know I can't do .5 a month on a recomp. With the above peramiters.

What I do know is that I can improve my strength, retain muscle and bone density, and very, very slowly gain a little bit of muscle running a long term lifting programme as a recomp. Think life long.

Start lifting it is good for you, and the visible effects are a real vanity boost.

Although @sgt1372 has given excellent advise it is from a male perspective and the post menopausal woman has different hormones than a 66 yo male and, in general, cannot attain the gains of a male of the same, or older age.

(Sgt1372 this is not a down on you, I really admire your accomplishments,it is just pointing out that an older woman has differing challenges)

Protein is important, no doubt about it, especially as we age. We tend to synthesize it better if our intake is in -+ 30g blocks rather than 10-15g throughout the day.

Don't look to increase muscle, look to retain what you have, (it can look quite good once the fat loss reveals it) increase overall strength, and maintain or improve bone density.

Cheers, h.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Although @sgt1372 has given excellent advise it is from a male perspective and the post menopausal woman has different hormones than a 66 yo male and, in general, cannot attain the gains of a male of the same, or older age.

(Sgt1372 this is not a down on you, I really admire your accomplishments,it is just pointing out that an older woman has differing challenges)

Not a problem.

I've well aware it's different for women than men. That's why I initiated my response by noting that it's more difficult for women to gain LBM while on a deficit diet than for men for whom it is already quite difficult.

I was only relating my experience and it may ONLY apply to me, because even other men may not be able to replicate it. It is only one example of how it can be done. Try it or not as you like.

See above.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible do what you describe - but whether it will happen for you is both impossible to answer and ultimately pointless to speculate.

Aim for the best results you can and whether that means you actually add a little bit of muscle or just retain the maximum amount you can - it will still be the best results you could have made. With your gender and age you of course have disadvantages. As @sgt1372 and @middlehaitch point out - capabilities and outcomes are individual.
    The methods to achieve your personal best outcome tend to get fairly broad agreement.....

Very small deficit, a good weight training routine and higher than average protein are the foundations.
    Just losing the final few pounds of fat will both improve your BF% and your appearance.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is the sensible reply.

At 63 I know I cannot achieve a 1lbs a month muscle gain that someone half my age with proper bulking programming can.
    I know I can't do .5 a month on a recomp. With the above peramiters.

What I do know is that I can improve my strength, retain muscle and bone density, and very, very slowly gain a little bit of muscle running a long term lifting programme as a recomp. Think life long.

Start lifting it is good for you, and the visible effects are a real vanity boost.

Protein is important, no doubt about it, especially as we age. We tend to synthesize it better if our intake is in -+ 30g blocks rather than 10-15g throughout the day.

Don't look to increase muscle, look to retain what you have, (it can look quite good once the fat loss reveals it) increase overall strength, and maintain or improve bone density.

Cheers, h.

@middlehaitch
    I have not heard that about consuming protein in 30g blocks. Interesting. Do you have any more info on this?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi @lorrpb. Sorry I had to find the info.

Here it is-
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760315/

I do realise we are not quite old yet :)

I will have a further trawl to see if there is anything else, but I think that is the one that got me more focused on eating protein in larger block.

Instead of a small bit of cheese, pot of yougurt etc to get my protein up to goal, now make sure most of protein is in large chunks.

Lunch- eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt.
    Dinner- meat, red and white, fish, seafood, eggs.

Got to admit I am not a breakfast type of woman so instead of my coffee and 2 biscuits (cookies) I now have a protein bar and mandarin orange with my coffee for breakfast.

I also keep a tub of protein powder on hand and if I am terribly low at the end of the day I will have a 25-35g of protein in a drink. (mixed with water about 100-150cal)

Apart from the breakfast and emergency powder supply I manage to get my 80-100g protein on 1350-1600cal a day just eating my regular food without much problem.

Cheers, h.

Edit: Just to let you know I didn't come up with any other articles- just the reg up to 2.2g protein per 1kg body weight, keep active, and move heavy things. B)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this is great info!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm really not looking to become a body builder or have washboard abs! I just want to lower overall fat for the health benefits and keep my bones strong by doing weight bearing exercise. I also don't want my muscles to atrophy a whole bunch as I age.
    Then just lift heavy stuff as you lose weight. Stronglifts is a good program to start if you have access to the equipment. Make sure you get someone to teach you correctly though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    (is that even possible?)

idk what the best way is or even if what i've been doing is a way since i've never known my own bf% at any point in my life, apart from 'if you're this tall and weigh that much, it's probably this' back in the days where nobody was really muscle-conscious. but we're more or less the same age, so fwiw:

i touched the first barbell of my life pretty much exactly three years ago, and i weighed 60.9 kilos when i went to get a clearance to start doing sl 5x5 from my doctor. this was after i got frustrated with those final vanity pounds that just would not go away after four or five months of 'dieting' and bike commuting.

i was coming up on 49 then. i'll be 52 in july. my weight has gone up and down since then, by as much as 20 pounds. i started trying to winch it back down from 140-ish about a year ago - or at least put a lid on the back-upwards climb. this morning i weighed 136 pounds on a digital scale, possibly with my boots on - i don't remember. which is apparently 61.688888etc kilogrammes.

so overall, i've gained at most one kilogram over the course of three years of 'heavy' lifting and trying to stay sort of vaguely conscious/conscientious about eating like a normal person instead of a five-year-old. idk how much of that is muscle now, but it's more than it used to be. and objectively i'm not going to blow anybody away any time soon but relative to my own self, i am stronger. i'm way way WAY stronger than i used to be.

i don't really have a 'how' though, just wanted to speak to the 'possible' thing.