I guess this is my low

Options
Long story short, we went out for dinner last night and my husband caught people talking about me and laughing about how big I am.. needless to say I'm humiliated. I need help, I need to lose 100 pounds and I don't know how to, I'm petrified to go through this again

Replies

• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Just eliminate coke pepsi fast food fried food any junk food. Drink gallon of water a day and start moving more! You can domit
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    You do it one step at a time. Start first by plugging in your stats and let MFP set your calories for 1-2lbs a week weight loss. Then just don't eat over that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    For someone who wants to lose 100 lbs just cutting some of those out will be a good start. I should have mentioned that everything in moderation is fine.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. People can be such *kitten*.

Make small changes. If you order a large meal, make it a medium or a small. If you have seconds, stop or halve your seconds for now. Move to no seconds later. Make the portions you eat smaller; maybe start with 3/4 less, than move down to 1/2 less. And if you snack often or mindlessly, try changing that. Figure out why you eat the way you do. Learn what you like to eat versus what you're eating just because it's there. Take a look at the caloric content of food so you're aware of what you're eating.

I used to snack mindlessly a lot. Just cutting that down has changed my caloric intake. Same with having smaller portion sizes.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You do it one step at a time. Start first by plugging in your stats and let MFP set your calories for 1-2lbs a week weight loss. Then just don't eat over that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This exactly. It couldn't be easier. Just do what MFP says and you will lose weight. If you can do a bit of exercise then do some. A walk around the block is a start, gradually getting further. Anything you can do to burn calories is great. Just do what you can. It soon becomes a way of life if you let it.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to experience that, people are such little *kitten* sometimes... I agree with everyone who posted here, use MFP, it works. Put in your data, your goals, and it'll spit out a number you stick to. Just remember to be honest with yourself, the program works if you listen to it! Good luck :-)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    So sorry. Just take one day at a time make small changes and you can do this. Log everything you eat and drink, stick with it, gradually start to move more. Stepping in the spot at home it all helps. Good luck
  • Lissa0421
    Lissa0421 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've had similar things said about me on multiple occasions, one time it was a couple months after having my first child. And to be honest, I forgot about those comments until I read your post, but it definitely hurt at the time.

If people are able to put you down in that manner; to criticize you about how they perceive that you look, it proves nothing negative about you and everything negative about them. Feel bad for them, because they have to live with themselves and must be truly unhappy to take the energy to pick others apart.

Now, if you want to be your best self - healthy and happy, do that for you. I am sure you are a beautiful person and have the self determination to make this positive change to be healthy!

So, rock it out girl - you got this!
  • dpg2503
    dpg2503 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »
    For someone who wants to lose 100 lbs just cutting some of those out will be a good start. I should have mentioned that everything in moderation is fine.

I completely agree I'm a certified personal and group trainer, IKFF CKT, blah blah blah. Doesn't mean anything other than we know what to do how to teach, but you must also have an understanding that everyone is different. Different things work for different people. Cutting down on high saturated fats, processed foods and drinks isn't a bad idea, especially when looking at weight loss.

I'm a mum of four, I teach people to be fit healthy and happy. Whether they're skinny, slim, curvy or larger than most. We all struggle including me.

I find elimination can help, but only as a kick start.... Often my angry cravings for chocolate need sorted. So nothing for a week, but after that I allow a small (Freddo sized) bar each evening.

Elimination of bread works wonders for ME. but not my husband. I eat little bread anyway, but the benefits of cutting it out has me more energetic, less stomach problems eg bloating, and happier.

The point I'm trying to make is no one is wrong. Elimination is good, if u can hack it. Eat less move more.....Great for beginners. Moving on, eating smaller more regular meals is eating more of the good stuff and maybe only doing 20 mins HIIT a day.....Each to their own.

For myself. I won't buy any processed foods, try and make all from scratch ( having four kids doesn't aways mean that's going to happen) avoid fizzy sweetener filled drinks, have more water, and walk instead of drive.

Small simple steps.....
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    On a positive note, youre not like those *kitten*. You can do this, all you have to do is start ❤
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just... wow. Well, you can rid yourself of several hundred pounds very quickly by disassociating with those people. Just unbelievable.

There's a lot of good advice already given, so I won't repeat. But you've got this. This site is a great tool and there are people here more than happy to support you when you don't find it elsewhere. We definitely want you to succeed, so welcome aboard and I wish you all the best.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Wth? Your husband caught these people making fun of you, and he didn't call them out on their behavior? And what was the point of him telling you? I would find that very hurtful if it were me.
  • sonia_mt
    sonia_mt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Wth? Your husband caught these people making fun of you, and he didn't call them out on their behavior? And what was the point of him telling you? I would find that very hurtful if it were me.

Oh yes ,they were called out, and the only reason I heard it was because he was whispering to his sister what the problem was, I just happen to read his lips.. he was trying to keep it from me, but we could all tell he was able to explode..
  • sonia_mt
    sonia_mt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I won't pile on as it is all good advice, but I will add a different approach.

People who want to change due to approval/disapproval of others often aren't able to sustain the changes. Why? Because if you determine your value and direction using external factors, it can often mean you don't value yourself the way you should. Also, using external approval/disapproval as motivation can lead to unpredictability as everyone around you is different, and individuals can be different from one moment to the next. There is simply too much variability.

Do you love yourself? Forget about your physical appearance for a minute and ask yourself this one question. If the answer is "no," I suggest surrounding yourself with people that do, and who will help you realize and remember all the reasons you should. It isn't unreasonable for some people to seek out a professional to help them get to this place.

If the answer is "yes," then realize you deserve the best for yourself and make changes aimed in that direction. Make attainable goals, and find ways to achieve them that you enjoy. Embrace the process and be proud of your changes, rather than only thinking about goals.

There are many studies out there that show most people who lose a significant amount of weight regain it back (and more) within a year. The most reasonable explanation is they couldn't sustain whatever method of suffering (physical or emotional) they put themselves through. Another possibility is they did it for someone else, or to achieve a short-sighted goal (a wedding or event, beach season, etc) and didn't know what to do when that moment passed by.

I hope you make some lifestyle changes you enjoy and can be proud of, as those will be the ones that stick. Good luck in your journey!

No I don't love myself, I haven't in years.. it's hard to see anything good... not to sure how much detail I should go into, but, I guess I just don't feel like I'm a good person
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I saw your profile and one good thing about you I can tell right away is you seem like a proud mama to 4 little ones. That's something good (great even!) that you've done. You made them! That's an awesome thing. And while I don't know specifics, loving yourself is so important. Is there anyone on a more professional level that you could speak to? They might be able to help where we can't. And maybe it's just me, but I think generally people are good and I have to believe you are too. Just need to find a way to help you see it. :wink:
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You have 4 daughters. I would suggest finding a good therapist to figure out why you don't love yourself and why you don't feel like you are a good person. Self loathing is terrible for you and your family. You CAN do this. You CAN change. You just need to feel that you are worth it. Good luck!