Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
MiNiMoNkI
MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
HI, just wandered whos tried these, your thoughts, likes dislikes and reccommendations, what makes, flavours, etc.

Im not going to use these soley, but some weeks on and off or even just a day here and there.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I like EAS advantage and Muscle Milk. You can never go wrong with chocolate. ANd I like the EAS strawberry and the Muscle Milk Banana too. I dont drink them everyday, but when I am on the go or need an extra protein boost they are handy to have around. And I only buy the premade ones. Prob a little more expensive, but I just prefer the convinience and the taste of them.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    HI, just wandered whos tried these, your thoughts, likes dislikes and reccommendations, what makes, flavours, etc.

Im not going to use these soley, but some weeks on and off or even just a day here and there.

Thanks in advance

The Special K Protein Shakes are yummy - specifically the Milk Chocolate Flavor... but I don't think they are substantial enough to have as a meal replacement. I usually drink them after my workout if I know I won't be able to go home and eat a yogurt or peanut butter or something.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer. If you read what's in it you'll be amazed. It's a great product. I use it as part of my breakfast each day by mixing it with fruit.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I like the GNC Lean Muscle Meal protein shakes - I'm typically a chocolate fan and the chocolate is good, but I REALLY like their vanilla cream! I like to drink these on the mornings when I hit the gym early.

And I agree with TexasNurseMom - I've had both EAS and Muscle Milk and like those, too...chocolate is my favorite in both.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've used the Optifast, Optislim & the Celebrity Slim. Most of them taste horrible IMHO, they're kind of expensive, and they don't really fill me up. I'd get hungry within the next hour. Hence it wasn't easy for me to stick to them.

Of those 3, the Celebrity Slim shakes tasted the best. They have a larger range of flavours to choose from, but personally I didn't like any of them besides the chocolate & strawberry shakes. I think those you can make up with milk, if you want to go for the lighter option, use cold water.

I prefer to use protein shakes. Right now I'm using the vanilla Musashi protein shakes. It doesn't taste great but I add flavour to them with some milo, honey, blended blueberries, etc.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I use nitro-tech chocolate flavor and it doesnt taste bad. 1 scoop 8oz of water, shake it up... there ya go! 100 calories and 20g in protein. if i have that for breakfast im good till lunch time.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options
    I use nitro-tech chocolate flavor and it doesnt taste bad. 1 scoop 8oz of water, shake it up... there ya go! 100 calories and 20g in protein. if i have that for breakfast im good till lunch time.

do you use it for all three of your meals in one day? what sort of price do you pay? thanks
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer. If you read what's in it you'll be amazed. It's a great product. I use it as part of my breakfast each day by mixing it with fruit.

which flavors have you tried and does it taste good? I want one without a bunch of artificial crap in it. I wish there was a way to try this without forking over the $75
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My favorite is EAS Myoplex choc. flavored. They are great.

Muscle Milk tastes good too, but it has some sketchy ingredients that kinda make me worry. That being said I drink at least one a day because they are provided free by my work and it saves me a ton of money from having to buy my own.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options
    and are these shakes, for weight gaining to add muscle, or purely to replace meals? it confuses me, as im 4llbs away from my goal i am not bearly working out as much! so dont want to worry about having to build the muscle to stop it turning to fat, if thatmakes sense
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    spngebobmyhero:

I get mine for about 55 bucks - a few of the health food stores here have it for close to that price. There are places here that sell it for 75 bucks but those places are screwing you over. It's pricey but for me it's worth it. I don't buy vitamins anymore & i figure i'm getting enough out of the product to warrant the price. I use the berry & chocolate flavours. I'll be the first to say that you will want to mix them with something to improve the taste. I usually through berries, bananas, peanut butter, etc into them depending on my mood.

I like this product because it's plant based & not made from crappy stuff.
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    spngebobmyhero:

I get mine for about 55 bucks - a few of the health food stores here have it for close to that price. There are places here that sell it for 75 bucks but those places are screwing you over. It's pricey but for me it's worth it. I don't buy vitamins anymore & i figure i'm getting enough out of the product to warrant the price. I use the berry & chocolate flavours. I'll be the first to say that you will want to mix them with something to improve the taste. I usually through berries, bananas, peanut butter, etc into them depending on my mood.

I like this product because it's plant based & not made from crappy stuff.

Thanks for the info KidP!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    my faves:
    Pure Protein RTD 170 cal and 35g protein
    Oh Yeah! RTD 220 cal and 32g protein

i like chocolate :)
    i can't stand the powders.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Vi-Shape Nurtional Shake Mix from ViSalus Sciences is sooooooo delicious!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 scoops with milk, oj, or coffee!!!!!!!!!! I drink 1 or 2 a day, as part of my five meals.
    Feel free to add me
  • alliebabiee
    alliebabiee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What's everyone's opinion on the Slim Fast shakes?
    I've always wondered about them.
    And if one can use them, should they use them as an actual meal replacement shake? Is it even worth it?

If I were to use them every now and then, I'd drink one and take a multivitamin.
    Is that a correct way to use the shakes to my advantage?
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    What's everyone's opinion on the Slim Fast shakes?
    I've always wondered about them.
    And if one can use them, should they use them as an actual meal replacement shake? Is it even worth it?

If I were to use them every now and then, I'd drink one and take a multivitamin.
    Is that a correct way to use the shakes to my advantage?

my husband and I used to use the slim fast shakes. I would get full for like an hour and then I would be starving! I think it could probably work for a morning snack, or if you are eating small meals every few hours. This was just my personal experience. Also (and this is tmi I think) my husband and I both found that the coffee flavor one makes your urine smell like :embarassed: coffee)
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options
    we both tried the slimfast ones this morning, vanlilla flavour, not bad tasting and im still not reaching for snacks at 11.00 am
  • Lambert9
    Options
    we both tried the slimfast ones this morning, vanlilla flavour, not bad tasting and im still not reaching for snacks at 11.00 am

I love the French vanilla, I find I am not hungry like the other poster. They fill me up and I feel good on them. I however am saving money by using the equate (Walmart) and I think it taste good! Good luck.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i drink a chocolate boost for breakfast every morning. to me they taste exactly like what would happen if a 7 year old made you chocolate milk. thick, rich, sweet. i was even able to switch my husband over from chocolate milk and a doughnut to a chocolate boost for breakfast.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Go for a protein shake rather than Slim Fast, Ensure Etc. Those "diet" drinks have little protein (which is what keeps you full) and lots of sugar.

Also, when it comes to protein it should have about 80% protein in it to be a good product. That is NOT to say that it must be a $90 jug from GNC. The best one I found (taste, price, low/no carb/sugar and protein quantity) was a store brand, Healthy Planet. For $34.99 (sometimes on sale for $29) I get 5 lbs which consist of 0 sugar, 2g carbs, 26g protein and it's delicious! My protein powder is therefore 79% protein which is excellent. More expensive brands I looked at had as low as 67%, booo! :)