Losing weight without exercise

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I keep seeing posts about people losing weight without exercise. Unless there is a medical reason why you can't....I don't understand why you wouldn't want to! It helps me to have less brain fog, less stress, muscle, stamina, better breathing...on and on and on!
    If you aren't exercising I encourage you to give it a try! A true go at it! Tell us how you feel after 30 days! My world has changed.

I started at 354! I feel amazing and am actually frustrated when I don't have a daily hard sweat and workout!
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    personal preference

end thread/

It seems to me that saying that exercise is personal preference is much like saying that how fat you are is a personal preference. While technically true, it makes no more sense to say that it is okay for a person not to exercise than it does to say that it is okay for a person to be overweight. Being overweight has health risks, but lack of exercise carries even greater health risks. It is true that a person can lose weight doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating pizza, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Eating less will result in weight loss, but people would be better off if they would continue to eat the same while increasing their activity level.

Except I'm in excellent health by every marker my doctor goes by. I'm also one of the very few people who are successfully maintaining the weight loss. All without intentional exercise. I'm doing things in a way that's realistic and sustainable for me, for the long term.

You may not spend any time in the gym, but IIRC you are active. I don't think the OP meant to exclude activity that takes place outside of the gym, right @sunsweet77?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I keep seeing posts about people losing weight without exercise. Unless there is a medical reason why you can't....I don't understand why you wouldn't want to! It helps me to have less brain fog, less stress, muscle, stamina, better breathing...on and on and on!
    If you aren't exercising I encourage you to give it a try! A true go at it! Tell us how you feel after 30 days! My world has changed.

I started at 354! I feel amazing and am actually frustrated when I don't have a daily hard sweat and workout!
    personal preference

end thread/

It seems to me that saying that exercise is personal preference is much like saying that how fat you are is a personal preference. While technically true, it makes no more sense to say that it is okay for a person not to exercise than it does to say that it is okay for a person to be overweight. Being overweight has health risks, but lack of exercise carries even greater health risks. It is true that a person can lose weight doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating pizza, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Eating less will result in weight loss, but people would be better off if they would continue to eat the same while increasing their activity level.

But you're not the one who gets to dictate that. It is 100% their choice of how they live their life. No one put you in charge. Maybe their doctor or their loved ones can have a say but not you. Maybe they would be better off but maybe there are 100 factors that we don't know about that prevent them from exercise. Eyes on your own plate and on your own workout pants.

What do you mean by dictate? How is it different to tell someone that they should get physically fit than it is to tell them that they should weigh their food?

personal preference

end thread/

people who are overweight are a drain on the health system and cost a TON of money more than people who simply don't exercise.

You don't think people with osteoporosis are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? All of these are risk factors that are reduced with exercise.

What about other strains on public resources? Our roads are clogged with traffic. Our bridges are in need of repair. Our air is filled with pollution. All of these problems could be reduced if people would choose to walk or ride a bicycle for a few of the trips they make.

osteoporosis - not a choice made through diet

"heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? "

all of those are severely heightened through obesity

Regular exercise is linked to a reduced risk of osteoporosis, which is the point that @TimothyFish was making.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am never trying to exclude anything or anyone. Not my style.

I was just trying to make a statement about me and only me that encouraged others.

I lost 50lbs without working out. I was just saying, for me and only me, this time of losing weight has been very different and I enjoy it and my body/attitude much more. I attribute it to exercise for again, me and only me.

I finally see ME and it's been a long time coming.

• kshama2001
    Options

I'm with you! I also feel better emotionally and physically as well as sleep better.

Also, with exercise people will be able to stay independent longer when they are old. My OH's mother is in a nursing home because her sedentary lifestyle caused her to lose so much strength in her legs she became unable to go to the bathroom unassisted. She had previously had many interventions with physical therapists, but never kept up with her exercises.

Even her 5 star nursing homes is a very depressing place :(
  • kshama2001
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

But you're not the one who gets to dictate that. It is 100% their choice of how they live their life. No one put you in charge. Maybe their doctor or their loved ones can have a say but not you. Maybe they would be better off but maybe there are 100 factors that we don't know about that prevent them from exercise. Eyes on your own plate and on your own workout pants.

What do you mean by dictate? How is it different to tell someone that they should get physically fit than it is to tell them that they should weigh their food?

personal preference

end thread/

people who are overweight are a drain on the health system and cost a TON of money more than people who simply don't exercise.

You don't think people with osteoporosis are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? All of these are risk factors that are reduced with exercise.

What about other strains on public resources? Our roads are clogged with traffic. Our bridges are in need of repair. Our air is filled with pollution. All of these problems could be reduced if people would choose to walk or ride a bicycle for a few of the trips they make.

"heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? "

Regular exercise is linked to a reduced risk of osteoporosis, which is the point that @TimothyFish was making.

Yes, my mother has osteoporosis and wishes she'd started strength exercises decades ago.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

personal preference

end thread/

You don't think people who strain muscles, break bones, get concussions, fall, etc etc etc because of exercise are a drain on the health system? Sure, exercise is good for you, but it's not like people who do exercise never get ill or hurt. My aunt works in A&E. She gets a lot of people who get hurt running, playing football, playing rugby, playing hockey, weightlifting, playing tennis, badminton, or any other of the many sports out there. Squash especially can be dangerous! My grandad is 84 and in perfect health other than his mind (dementia) and his knees, which are awful and need replacing because he played football for far longer than he should have. Once we stopped him going to the gym, his mobility increase dramatically. I'm not saying exercise is bad, I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry as you seem to want to make it!
    The only time I have ever been to A&E was due to a torn ligament when running as a child. I currently do not exercise (I don't have time, I'm in my last semester at university) but I have no health problems linked to this. Let people do what they want, mate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

personal preference

end thread/

yes it is to an extent. Risk of osteoporosis is linked mostly to genetics though.

Risk is absolutely linked to genetics (among other things). That doesn't mean that regular exercise doesn't help people maintain bone strength (in some cases even augment it) and serve to reduce the risk that one will actually develop it.

Our genetic risk of getting a disease can't be removed. But our lifestyle can help reduce (not eliminate) the chances we will actually develop a condition.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

personal preference

end thread/

yes it is to an extent. Risk of osteoporosis is linked mostly to genetics though.

Risk is absolutely linked to genetics (among other things). That doesn't mean that regular exercise doesn't help people maintain bone strength (in some cases even augment it) and serve to reduce the risk that one will actually develop it.

Our genetic risk of getting a disease can't be removed. But our lifestyle can help reduce (not eliminate) the chances we will actually develop a condition.

we're saying the exact same thing

Then I believe you're also agreeing with @TimothyFish, who initially used osteoporosis as an example of a condition that would occur less often if more people got regular activity.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

personal preference

end thread/

"What about other strains on public resources? Our roads are clogged with traffic. Our bridges are in need of repair. Our air is filled with pollution. All of these problems could be reduced if people would choose to walk or ride a bicycle for a few of the trips they make."

strawman argument.

The things I mentioned are all things that are influenced more by exercise than they are by diet. You have probably heard of a condition commonly called "skinny fat." There's a more technical name for it but it is a condition in which a person is skinny but they have the indicators of health risks that a fat person is expected to have. These risks are reduce with proper exercise.

And no it isn't a strawman argument because I'm applying your argument to a different situation. Perhaps you don't like where your argument leads. You're welcome to change your argument if you like.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

personal preference

end thread/

You don't think people who strain muscles, break bones, get concussions, fall, etc etc etc because of exercise are a drain on the health system? Sure, exercise is good for you, but it's not like people who do exercise never get ill or hurt. My aunt works in A&E. She gets a lot of people who get hurt running, playing football, playing rugby, playing hockey, weightlifting, playing tennis, badminton, or any other of the many sports out there. Squash especially can be dangerous! My grandad is 84 and in perfect health other than his mind (dementia) and his knees, which are awful and need replacing because he played football for far longer than he should have. Once we stopped him going to the gym, his mobility increase dramatically. I'm not saying exercise is bad, I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry as you seem to want to make it!
    The only time I have ever been to A&E was due to a torn ligament when running as a child. I currently do not exercise (I don't have time, I'm in my last semester at university) but I have no health problems linked to this. Let people do what they want, mate.

There is no question that there is a tradeoff, but when you run the figures what you find is that the risk of injury due to exercise is far outweighed by the health benefits. I feel sorry for your grandfather. The very worst thing you can do for a person with dementia is to eliminate exercise from their lives. I have seen several people who had dementia. In every case (yes, every case) I didn't notice them really going downhill until they quit being active. Personally, I would rather have bad knees than a bad mind.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

Unfortunately I have been overweight for 20+ years, however please enlighten me how I'm a drain on the health system when I've only gone to the doctor 3 times in the past 12 years.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think regular physical activity is pretty important...I believe the risks associated with a sedentary lifestyle overall are well documented. For me, that means deliberate, regular exercise given I'm a desk jockey and I try to be as generally active as possible outside of the office.

When I was in college I didn't do much in the way of deliberate exercise other than join the gym every January and lift for a few months...but I was pretty active in general. I didn't own a car so I walked or biked pretty much everywhere...recreation with my buddies often involved games of ultimate frisbee or frisbee golf...I also did landscape construction in the summer and waited tables or worked retail the rest of the year. So while I didn't do much deliberate exercise, I was always moving...and that's the important thing IMO.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I regret waiting so long to start exercising, and i don't mean hardcore gym sessions, i'm pretty sure i'll never set foot in a gym! My only exercise is walking (i walk A LOT and fast) with an intermittent jog here and there. I'd go nuts without it now , it has become an integral part of my day, every single day.

You don't need to kill yourself in the gym to fit exercise into your day, just getting out there and moving is better than doing nothing at all.
  • mawebgeek
    mawebgeek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I see that sweating on a treadmill for 30 minutes burns 500 calories and not eating a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich also eliminates 500 calories - for me, it's easier to skip the breakfast sandwich.